Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    boardman74            10-06-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have had ski boats in the past and know how to winterized a V-8 inboard, but nor sure on the little 4 I bought. It's a 1990 4 cylinder alpha 1 merc. I can see no drain plugs or petcocks. I was going to pull the hoses off the thermostat housing and pour in antifreeze and then down the pickup line into the drive(third smaller hose on the thermo housing). Drain the lower unit oil and take the battery out. I am just worried if this is enough for the block to be safe. I know there are some I/O owners out there so please help.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-06-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
There are drain plugs on the side of the engine block below the exhaust manifold for sure and I believe on the opposite side. I had the same engine a few years back.
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-06-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
I had the same engine in my previous boat. I was able to drain by way of two plugs on the right hand side of the engine (looking front to back). one is up under the exhaust manifold 3/4 of the way back... the other is on the side of the block and it looks like a wing nut that you just unscrew and not remove. Draining these two worked for me for 6 winters, but i am no mechanic so do at your own risk =)

oh and (no one yell at me here) I would also fire up the boat for about 15 seconds to spit out any remaining water. I learned the hard way this year not to do that with an inboard because of the impeller.
Old    boardman74            10-10-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. Should I put anti-freeze in the block or is draining it enough. Have always used RV antifreeze in the past.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-10-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
Todd, I have the exact same engine on a 99 Bayliner. I winterized it yesterday and goin boardn is right on. I put antifreeze in mine as well as the lower unit but I'm a better safe than sorry guy. Not sure if it's nescesary.