Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-18-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
Okay, I am lazy, I am not a stereo expert but I know a little. I figure alot of you guys out there have done hours upon hours of research in what is good, etc. I searched a bit but didnt really find much, if I missed a thread, please let me know.

I have an 01 X-Star, stock stereo (I believe). The stereo is starting to malfunction and piss me off.

Here are my requirements:
Ability to connect MP3 player to the front of the deck

Connect to two amps - I have two amps (sorry as of this post, I dont know how big they are, I believe they are stock)

Connect to the remote I have at the steering wheel (Clarion stock)

CD Player that plays MP3s

Optional features
Transom remote
XM compatibility
(Not sure what other features exist)

Any help would be incredible. Thanks in advance.

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-18-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
What exactly is your question? Are you going to buy a new receiver?
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-18-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
yes
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-18-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
I think you're going to have to go clarion because the remote you have on your steering wheel is proprietary to clarion head units.

If you were not tied to the clarion remote, then I would recommend a Sony HU. It doesn't have a front aux in for the MP3 player, but for 20 bucks you can get a Y cable to connect your MP3 player to the Auxilary (aux) input on the rear of the unit, and just run the cable to a convienient location in the boat.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-19-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
someone told me that you can get stereos with detachable face you can load up with MP3s too. Anyone had any experience with those?
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-21-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
Okay, I guess I will do the research and post my results here. So far I know the following:

Possible options
All the head units I looked at provided 50wx4 power.
Most (if not all) manufacturers have proprietary wired remotes
Ive read that the power output is really negligible since I will be using 2 amps to power all my speakers.
Reads CDR disks (make sure they are the disks you use, ie +R or -R)
30-second CD buffer (prevents skipping) - I have no experience with this feature to say whether or not it works but it sounds good
Play MP3 files on a CD
Low battery indicator - Audible sound when battery approaches 10V, under 10, it shuts off (this feature is huge in my opinion, Ive killed batteries several times running the stereo)
AUX port for external MP3 player (front preferred)

I have a Clarion stereo in my X-Star so I looked at Clarion first so i wouldnt have to replace my wired remote. Bottom line, I cant find squat on Clarions website, Ill have to call them.

Another wakeworld member suggested MB Quart. They have a head unit (NRA-450) that has all the avaiilable options above.
Price 399.99 + 140 for the remote and wire (from Overtons)

Some others recommended Sony. I looked at the CDX-F50M.
I didnt read anywhere in the details that it buffered the CDs for anti-skip but it had some other skip prevention methods that dont sound as good to me.
Also couldnt find any info on the low battery indicator which I think is a really nice feature of the MB Quart.
Other than that it looks like it has everything else.
Price 199.99 + 149.00 for the remote (didnt specify if it came with long enough cable, that was extra with the MB Quart).

Any opinions or comments?