Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
So me and a couple buddies built a slider recently and we ran into some issues. We wanted to just build a basic 12' up rail that we could expand on down the road. We built the slider with 3-2x2 supports attached to a 2-6 which then attached to some trex. We made the 4x4 ends come to a point and we put smaller y supports coming off a 1' above the tip of the 4x4. So the idea was we take this slider to water, pound it in with a sledge, the stakes would go in a foot until the y supports touched the ground.

The issues was we went to pound the supports in but we could only get them to sink about 6in. Most the ground we are going into is rocky and pretty hard. So now we are to the point of redesigning.

I was thinking we could make concrete cylinders on the bottoms of each support. Via quickcrete and a bucket. We would then go out to a spot dig a hole, bury the concrete, then place rock/dirt on top. This seems like it would be sturdy however it really decreases the mobility of the rail. We are winching in an urban area so we need to be able to transport to multiple locations.

Another idea we had was to take the y supports on the 4x4 and double their size and place them so we would only have to pound our stake in 6in and then we would have big y supports supporting the rail.

Let me know what you think or what you have done.
I will try to get a pic up to make this less confusing
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-09-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
if the bottom is flat you can do this...

Upload

the rail with trex is usually enough to keep the rail from floating away.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-09-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
photo credit to Alexander...
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
unfortunately the ground isnt as flat as a pool. However the top 4 in is pretty much just mud so we may be able to do something similar to this and sink it into the mud. Did you run into issues of the rails tipping when someone fell off on side?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-09-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
THATS A SICK SHOT!

I would say that you will have more luck pound in the 4 x 4's if they are not attached to the slider. I have also used 2.5" dock pipe on Sliders that were pre-made befor being launched, then used U-style brackets to attach them to the 4 x 4's.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-09-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
"I have also used 2.5" dock pipe on Sliders that were pre-made befor being launched, then used U-style brackets to attach them to the 4 x 4's."

i really like that idea andy....