Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    dahui            07-26-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
I am wanting some input on a new board. I am currently looking at the Byerly and Parks board 140ish size. I was wanting to know the difference between the two. I seem to like to ride a little slower than average which makes me lean toward Byerly. I also like a board that tracks well which makes me lean toward Parks. I do about three inverts and can land heelside 3's and an occaional 5. I currently ride a double up Greg Neleson 141 and just dont seem to get the pop im looking for. I am wanting the 3 stage rocker.

I really dont want to spend $25 a day to demo each of them because $50 would put me well on the way to a 04 or 05 hyperlite. Any input is appreciated.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
I had a 05 Byerly 137 and can say that the board tracks real well. From what I've heard, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the extremely aggresive rocker on the Parks causes it to track worse. My guess is the Byerly will suit your needs between the two. Be prepared to have people tell you to look at CWB, LF, and Obrien too.
Old    dahui            07-26-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Ryan, The Byerly says it has a 2.8 rocker and the Parks is 2.8 in the 144. Is there something different between the two? The description on the Parks says "Abrupt 3 stage" Byerly doesnt say this. If they are both 2.8 then whats the difference?

I might be open to the CWB but not the LF. After replacing cheap stripped out fins years back at $20 bucks a pop, I refuse to own one again. Keep em coming.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-26-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
look at CWB, LF, and Obrien too.
Old    dahui            07-26-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
What Obrien boards are comparable? Like I said I wont buy LF.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
Abrupt three stage is like this \_/ you'll have less board in contact with the water on a hard cut. More pop and speed on the Parks for sure, but less control. I loved riding the Byerly with the center fins removed because it had good edge hold but could break loose when I wanted.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-26-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
the byerly is your thing. i got the '04 this year becuase the the '05 and it are the same just with different graphics (anyone, please correct me if im wrong...serious). i love how it handles and the pop it gives me. defintely a step up from my previous board. and besides, the '04 costs way less considering its last years model
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-26-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
The difference is the rocker profile. The amount is the same but if you think about it they distribute the 2.8" differently. I'm gonna try & do some lame visuals so bear with me.

\_____/ = Byerly
\____/ = Parks

What i'm trying to get across here is that the Parks has a longer flat spot and with a similar sized board and a longer flat spot you have to cram that 2.8" of rocker into a much shorter space. Thus making the rocker more aggressive because the longer the flat spot the greater the hit.

I'm partial to CWB and will recommend the Absolute 'til the day I die. Look into it and the Marius and Transcend, all incredible shapes with huge rockers. They land like a dream compared to the Hyperlite's.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard6.asp?ProductID=2456 The Obrien player would probably be the best comparison. You should be able to find an 05 Byerly for cheap in the Seattle area from some punk who stole mine.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
seriously though, get a substance, ride it finless, then you won't have to worry about stripping fin holes.
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-26-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
A. Burton.

I've ridden both, but when I got on the 05 parks I was hooked. It's got mad pop and tracks really well. What I really liked is that it feels so solid when landing.

Call RV, or Mike at Grizzly-Sports and they will take care of you. 1-866-444-BEAR
Old    carlottavaldez            07-26-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
I know they can be hard to find, but get on a WakeTech Balsa Battail. It has the 3 stage pop you are looking for in the old Byerlys and the New parks, tracks when you need it to because of the 4 molded fins, and has this great pop because of the balsa core and flex pattern.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-27-2005, 1:04 AM Reply   
The 05 Byerly is awesomee. I had an 03 before it, and the difference isnt a ton, but the 05 will take some getting used to. Tracks really well, and i even put in my 1.2" P-wings from my old board, and it tracks even better. Really a quick board also, a lot of people say it isnt, but just my .02 says it is. If you really want an 05 Byerly Call Grizzly Sports, they have the 05 Blemish' i got one for about 250 and when i got it i couldnt find a scratch, chip, or graphic missing anywhere.
~Tyler~
Old    dahui            07-27-2005, 2:21 AM Reply   
I called Grizzly, they have 04's Parks and Byerly for $200. I might splurge and get the 05 parks DNA for $350
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-27-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
What's the deal with the "DNA" models? I know they have a different core...do they have more pop or something?
Old    dahui            07-27-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
I know the core is different, lighter and more springier. Not sure it will make a difference at my level so I might stick with the biolite.
Old    dahui            07-27-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Well I pulled the trigger on the 05 Parks 140. I hope I like it. Got it from Grizzly - reasonable $270 - Slight blem. Also got spin bindings for the friends and family because they can never get out of my Ultras.
Old    xxchaosfactorxx            07-27-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
I ride a 04' Parks 138 DNA. I find it a bit loose when compared to my bro's 04' Byerly. The Byerly really seems to be on a mission when on edge-- like on a rail. Its definately more a challenge to break it free with the center fins. Both boards pop well and are slow compared to a continous board like my ex-board a 137 BS Patterson (old timer, i know). Overall, keep in mind both boards rock off the wake and its seemly a matter of how hard or loose you like to track through the water. Also, my bro cracked a piece of his byerly... and was replaced by hyperlite no questions asked. Hope that was of any use.
Old    wickedwake            07-27-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
Hold on edge is the whole point...that is a good thing LOL
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have the 05 Parks 132. Sweet board thats super responsive. Locks down nice but breaks free when you want it to. Has a ton of pop even off small wakes.
Old    nubee_rider            08-18-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
i just picked up my byerly 137 after reading this...i havent gone riding yet but ill let u know in two weeks. thanks tshmitty for the hook-up with RV @ GRIZZLEY-SPORTS, he really hook a brother up. 1-866-444-bear ...theyre closing out 04s dirt cheap, parks & byerlys
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-18-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
Nubee Rider,

No problem! I'm glad that he took care of you. He absolutely rocks! Love the guy. . . In a friendship kinda way!