Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-17-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
Having hang nail problems lately and I think its steems from my new PSR2 bindings ( which are the best) or my new Osiris shoes I got but they really are becoming very painfull and I feel embarassed to go to DR about it. Any suggestion fellow Wakeworlders
Old    mark_s            07-17-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
Sacdeep, as "other people" have done in the past, you have done the correct thing by coming to the Wakeworld community to diagnose your healh problem. Always skip the doctor's advice and come here.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-17-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
pliers will fix it!

Sorry I really don't have any good suggestions.
Old    bandit33            07-17-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
Seriously, you probably should go to the doctor. Nothing to be ashamed of.... But, in the past, what has worked for me is to to cut the nails straight across. That decreases the chances of the corners growing into the skin. In bad cases, even cutting a v shaped notch in the middle of the leading edge of the nail will tend to make the nail grow towards itself instead of into the skin. Just some advice I remember my doctor telling me years ago. Also may have to reconsider the shoes or the bindings.
Old    leggester            07-17-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
Try good personal hygiene? Trim your nails properly?

Wear the correct size shoes and use good posture?

BTW, I believe you're talking about ingrown toe nails, not hang nails. Hang nails you cna basically just peel off. In grown is when teh edge of the nail is imbedded in the flesh of the toe and can be excerbated by tight or ill fitting foot wear.
Old    leggester            07-17-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
Geez, my spellnig sucks! hehehehe.
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
I think Don was referring to ingrown. I think sacdeep has a hangnail, which is much more severe and requires immediate emergency attention.

Get off your computer, pick up your phone and dial 911 immediately. Tell them you have a threatening condition and to send an ambulance ASAP. Leave your hangnail to the experts.

-Jeff
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
Yup... cut a V in the center of the nail.. it grows to fill in the V and keeps the nail from growing into your skin.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-18-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
Just cut your toe off. that way you'll never getone again
Old    leggester            07-18-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
If it's truly a hangnail, as an alternative to 911, you can call Triple A road side service.

Usually, the tow trucks have a pair of pliers in their tool box!

Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-18-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
I've had a couple in-grown toe nails. They hurt pretty and only get worse over time. Trim the edge of the nail back as far as you can. At least past the ingrown part. This fixes the problem and your toe will feel better immediately. Also, get some type of antibiotic to prevent infection. In Grown toe nails get infected very easily.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-18-2003, 10:30 PM Reply   
Pay no attention to Matt,he wears gloves
Anyway,I have this problem to and I HAVE TO file mine down,otherwise it is really painfuL.
If this stops you from riding,then go to the Dr.
Believe me,they've seen less trivial things before.Cut ,file and then doc,it's no big deal.
Goodluck.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-18-2003, 10:34 PM Reply   
Oh yeah,PRS2's aren't the best,PRS1's are.
NICE..
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-26-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
Go have a pedicure... The average price for one is $35.00. A doctor does not "do" pedicure's. If indeed the toe nail is growing into the outer part of the skin surrounding the nail bed the doctor will suggest triming the nail or yankin' it out, ($200.00), and NO guarantees it will grow back...
Yepper, a pedicure is what I'd go for.
P.S. "they're" used to seeing ALL kinds of feet, please don't be embarassed!...
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-27-2003, 5:05 AM Reply   
WOW....you sure pay alot for your pedicure!!
Mine ony costs me 25 and that's including a $5 tip
BTW for chronic ingrown toe nails, the procedure is to excise the nail all the way down through the nail bed. This will definitely stop re-occurance, but it will keep you from ride for 2-3 wk while it heals.
I know, that's what I had to do in my previous job for a Podiatrist and Urgent Scare medicine.
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
It's for an hour and a half and from the knee down. Well worth it.
Old     (n2mywake)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-31-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
Soak it in the tub to soften the area, then try an angle cut into the effected area, then take tweezers and pull it out (ouch!) Hurts like hell, but it will work, then listen to the post above and cut them correctly.
Old    damnation            07-31-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
I sure as hell would be more embarrased getting a pedicure rather than going to the doctor . Just break out your freakin' pocket knife and go to town. It will be healed in a day or two.

PS - Don't take my advice! I don't want to be sued when you cut your toe off!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
Duct Tape
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-31-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
Denise ~ so is mine..... I guess it's all about location
Old    matt123123            07-31-2003, 5:13 PM Reply   
i suggest going to adoctor or you could cut off your toe