Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-04-2012, 6:37 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,

Family has a 2008 Malibu VLX and we were thinking about getting the windows tinted.
I contacted a local shop and they quoted me $300 to tint leaving the window on OR
$450 to removed the window and tint it.

They said that there will be a 1/8 gap near the seal.

Do you guys have pictures of the tint leaving the windows on, is there a gap?

Thanks guys!
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-04-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
I had my window tinted on my 05 VLX and they did it with the windows still on and there is not on gap to be seen. It may depend on each person that tints windows but mine is very clean looking One of the best mods I ever did to the boat and will have it on any other boat that I buy.
Attached Images

Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-04-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
awesome. what percentage is yours?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-04-2012, 8:38 PM Reply   
No pictures offhand but we had our boat done and the windows weren't removed and there was no gap.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-04-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
Can anyone recommend a place Near Manteca, CA
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-05-2012, 5:24 PM Reply   
Because you can't always get a S.S. blade at a right angle at the base of the entire glass interior because of the dash elevation it can be hard to get complete access to trim the film perfectly at the bottom. Some may cut into the rubber gasket as a cure and some may leave a very slight gap at the bottom in order to stay away from the rubber gasket edge. So don't get too hung up on just that singular detail. Ask each individual tint shop how they manage this challenge. Maybe they have a better solution and maybe they cut into the gasket a little. Maybe the gap is much finer than 1/8" and given the alternative you may want to go that route. But if you don't get a reasonable answer I would move on.
Its much harder to release the film liner, exposing the adhesive and keep contamination down in an open boat application versus a somewhat closed cabin of a vehicle. Any airborne debris will be permanently entombed behind the film. So sometimes removing the windshield could be more about applying the film in a cleaner, controlled environment.
Since film on a boat is far less shaded than in a hardtop vehicle and is always equally lit from the interior side, all film will appear much lighter on a boat. A 20 percent film on a boat will appear equal to a 35 percent film on a typical vehicle side window.
Going any darker than 20 percent light transmittance is very dangerous at night or even at dusk because it impedes your vision.
The prices quoted certainly sound good if the film is high quality and the job is clean. Prices will vary by a large margin depending on whether the film is strictly dyed, uses a metal matrix or is ceramic glass particle. Know what particular grade you are getting.
Just a few window film considerations for you.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-05-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
Here is a 2011 VLX that I had done by a local shop for a customer. We did 20%. It looked killer on the boat and was perfect for during the day. At dusk, it was about as dark as I would like to go myself. It was done with the windows in place. The installer laid the film on the outside and trimmed it to fit, then prep'd the inside of the glass and applied. It came out real clean. Their only concern was the dot-matrix looking border. They say that the film can sometimes come loose after time.

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-05-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
I've Been thinking of getting my VLX tinted as well. But was wondering of doing a mirror chrome silver or what ever you call it tint instead of black. Has anybody done that?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-05-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
I think with the way the sun hits the windshields on our boats going the mirror chrome is a BAD idea. I feel like it would cause you to blind other boaters when the sun hits it at the right angle.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-05-2012, 8:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilva View Post
Can anyone recommend a place Near Manteca, CA
If you are willing to tow a little ways, there is only one shop I would ever take my boat to for a tint or stereo install.... it is ACME Stereo and Upholstry in Sacramento. Take it from someone who had three other tinters fail before ACME, the one piece windows are difficult to do and truly do require a skilled tinter. Call Ben at ACME, he will take care of you. Would be well worth the drive for you, Ben is top notch.

He did my 2008 Supra (with one piece front window) and 2011 Malibu VLX.

ACME Stereo
6430 Franklin Blvd Sacramento, CA 95823
(916) 429-2293

For comparison, here is my Supra with 35%, Malibu has 20% on it... after having both would recommend going 20%, cuts down on the glare and I think it looks better. However, you will be looking over windshield on a late evening on the water with 20%.
Attached Images

Last edited by fman; 01-05-2012 at 8:25 PM.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-05-2012, 9:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
I think with the way the sun hits the windshields on our boats going the mirror chrome is a BAD idea. I feel like it would cause you to blind other boaters when the sun hits it at the right angle.
sorry but doesnt water glare already do that? and far worse??
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-05-2012, 10:15 PM Reply   
I have had it done twice to my boats. Never had the windshield removed and never had a gap, i think you just need to find an installer who will take his time on it. I went with 20% the first time (black boat) and wanted something a little darker so the next boat (red boat) had 5%. Never had any problems with glare.

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-06-2012, 6:22 AM Reply   
Those windshields that are split in the forward corners are friendly while the single piece windshields with those compound curves in the front corners are really tough.
There are alot of very good automotive film techs that do not have a handle on boats. Just make sure you find one that has real boat experience.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-06-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
sorry but doesnt water glare already do that? and far worse??
I would say the glare off a mirror is worse than the glare off the water. Hey man your boat get it tinted whatever color you want.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
Travis, the tint job on your supra would be similar to my malibu. did you have them take off the window?
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-06-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilva View Post
Travis, the tint job on your supra would be similar to my malibu. did you have them take off the window?
Yes, I did remove them, but only because the Supra uses a very high dash that would not allow the tinter to get down to the bottom of the window. I believe with the lower Malibu dash you might have enough room to do them on the boat. Removing the windows on the Supra was surprisingly simple, it took less than 20 minutes a window. A bunch of screws and one bolt/nut combo, not sure how difficult it would be to remove on the Malibu.

If you contact Ben he will know what needs to be done, he has done quite a few tint jobs on boats.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2012, 11:40 PM Reply   
I talked to Ben and he said that it's possible to do it on the boat but that 1/8 comes into factor.. but its also $150 cheaper.... i was just curious to how noticeable
it really is.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-07-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
Ben would not deliver a product that does not look good, or you could research removing the windows yourself on the Bu. I am sure if you goto the MalibuCrew website there will be someone who can answer this question for you. I would encourage you to remove the windows, then you will get 100% coverage.