Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-31-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
HI, I'm new to wake boarding and want to try wakesurfing this year. I need to buy my first boat and have a good deal on a Malibu 23 XTI Wakesetter. Since it's direct drive with wedge, just wondered if it was okay to wakesurf with this boat? How is the wake? Good resale value?

thanks
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-31-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
What is a "good deal" the XTI was not very popular it could be hard to sell.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-31-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
You are gonna have to tell us what year...boats depreciate over time.
I looked at one for a friend of mine that was a 2002, I think. Seems like he could have bought it for about 15K. Seemed like a good deal to me.

You can use NADA to at least get you in the general vicinity.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-31-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
it's a 2004.

For the price it's in the ballpark of 26K $, 101 hrs.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-31-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
At 15K$ i would be all over it!!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-31-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
I was seriously looking at the xti A while back also. The seating configuration looked really cool at first and I wanted to stay with a direct drive boat, but compared to Malibu's V drives, the interior was really small. Generally speaking direct drives will not be as good as a Vdrive for surfing due to the location of the engine weight, but extra ballast could compensate.

Instead of the 23 XTI, I went with a 23 LSV. Looking back, I am extremely glad I did that.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-31-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Jonathan,
For $26k, you should be able to get a hold of a number of different v-drives. The bulk of the riders on this site are going to push you that way. Direct drives just are not the fav for these disciplines.
Where are you located? Maybe some guys can refer you to a more preferable boat?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-31-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
I can tell you a couple of good things about the D-drive. You're in a seat right at the transom and can easily talk to whoever is behind the boat. If you have kids, it's easier to help with their gear. If you have kids, it's easier to give them their own space when cruising. There are more rear facing seats to watch what goes on behind the boat.
A negative is that you are often walking up a narrow aisle. Another is the resale is lower than a v-drive, but that should be already looked after if you're looking at a 2004.
I'm a fan of the design, for my use. The V-drive layout is better for many though. If you have people ballast the surf wake is great. If you need to add bags they are more cumbersome than in a V.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-01-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
while the seating arrangement is great on the XTI is great you will have a hard time weighting the boat down to get a good surf wake. Unless you still ski a lot I would recommend a v drive.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-03-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
I spent a week on an XTI at Lake Powell. I like the seating. You can use the three areas for different groups. The surf wake is OK but you have to have the bags out and they take up a lot of room. My son who likes a skim type board likes it better than I do on a surf style board. The wake looks very clean on both sides but the push is less than it could be. My friend bought the boat in 07 but it was an 06. He paid 40K and v-drives the same year was a bunch more. Be carful.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-03-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Well, i really want a boat for wakesurfing. Apparently this boat won't do it. I'm looking for vdrives now instead.

Thanks for all the input!!
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-04-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
First off, mhunter, the xti won several awards -- so to say it wasnt "popular" is bs.

Yes the surf wake is not perfect because of engine weight & location, but I think the seating configuration is pretty nice.

Wake isnt shabby either.

to stay honest in response, I am an owner of a 2004 23ft Wakesetter XTI, but not the one he is referring to - so i might be biased.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-04-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
If you are looking for surfing, you will probably want to check out Centurion. On most of their models, its pretty easy to build a really decent wave. I have one (its for sale - just had a baby), so I could be a little biased. Check them out, they are good boats for the money.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
PLR I've sent you a PM!