Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
OK this is not a great shot but you can kinda get the idea of the wake we got. This was our first attempt. We were never able to just let the rope go so I am wondering if we just have the wake wrong or just do not understand the technique. This is a supra DD. 400# stock ballast across the rear, +600# bag in front ski locker, 155# brick in front drivers bow, #440 sac on engine side behind driver. Two teenagers sitting on the side back. This is not a great picture because the wake did have a curl and was about thigh high. We had a lot of fun today, hardly even wakeboarded... but I sure would like some advise on what I am doing wrong.

Upload
Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-18-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
I sure would like some advise on what I am doing wrong

Putting your arm through the handle can end the day short.

Start by moving that 600# sac from the front locker to the starboard rear corner
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-18-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Also don't turn away from the rider go straight or a slight circle toward the rider.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
This picture is of my teenage son goofing off back there. Unfortunately it is the only pics that I have of the wake that day.

How much weight should I have in the back corner? Should I have the 600 on top of the 440 on the side of engine and just keep the 155# brick up front?. We had someone sitting on the Starboard side corner.

Does the wake just develop to the point where it is pushing the board on its own, or do you constantly have to pump it forward?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-18-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Looks like you have a regular stance but your surfing the goofy-starboard wake? Weight the other side. The prop rotation of your Supra should make a better port wake than starboard wake. Put weight to the stern and port side. If you want to see what happens when you move weight around get the people ballast to get up and move. It's easiest to ride with your toes pointed to the wake and you eyes looking at the wake. Once you get good on the port side then try riding back side on the starboard side.

When you try again and weight the port side try to put your weight on the balls of your feet not your heels. Wakeboarders tend to be heel heavy and either steer away from the wake or fall backwards away from the wake.

Take an athletic stance, a little crouched, wider stance than above. It helps first timers to have their toes close to the edge of the board. After you get the hang of it move back to the center of the board.

Most boats make a good surf wake around 10 mph. If it feels like you can’t keep up try two things. 1) Move further forward on the board. 2) Slow the boat down a little. If you slow down a lot you might need to move weight forward.

As your riding lean forward to speed up backward to slow down. One way to get more speed is pumping. Pumping is maybe hard to describe. The most simple pump is just jumping up and down on the board.

Good luck, tell us how you do.

(Message edited by bigshow on May 18, 2008)
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Supra's make a better port wake than starboard? Really? I thought it would be the other way? We hope to get another crack at this next weekend so I will try that. I had my PP set at 10-10.5mph. Like I said the pic I have is deceiving because it is of my son who was the only non Goofy rider. Does anyone know how much weight folks with DD boats that are successful put on the port or starboard side of the motor.

When I look at the shape of the wake in TigeMike's profile you can see how it is curling back behind the board. I think that is the problem I need to figure out how to correct with my wake and Yes your point more toe weight in is well taken.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-18-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
How fast are you going? Looks a bit fast. Looks as if you slowed it up a bit, that face might shape up. And like mentioned before, you definitely cant turn away from the side of the wave. Straight or slight turn towards the side your rider is on.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-18-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Only RH Correct Craft, Centurion with Surf Right option, and other RH proped boats will have a better starboard than port wake.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Blair, I was doing about 10.5mph. Everyone that tried rode goofy with the except of my son who just happened to be my posted pic. From what I have been able to get so far from the responses is that for try #2 I probably should not fill my center 600# sac, instead add it to the surf side with my 440#.

Looks like the board is starting to get more inquires from DD owners trying to figure this thing out. Hopefully those in the know will read and chime in here
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-18-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
I always filled the center tank in my old boat, but it wasn't a DD. Filling the center tank only displaces water, it doesn't work against ballast that you place on the side.