Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-10-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
I ride a Shane 2006 and I really love it!!! But the thing is that I always want to improve my ride!!! I love the pop, the soft landing and all the rest of the qualities of my Shane except one thing : it's a bit slow to enter in the edge.... it could be a bit faster!!!! I heard a lot of good things about the Ronix One and I want to know your comments about it!!! You also can suggest any other boards who can be compared with these. The Marius could also be interesting! So far, the Shane is my favorite board but I didn't tried every boards! Here is the boards that I tried ; Obrien Vision, Obrien Valhala, Obrien Natural, Liquid Force Shane (naturaly), Hyperlite 3DS, Hyperlite Roam. Thanks!!!!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-10-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Sorry to highjack...but what did you think of the natural & valhalla.

I would add that my b-side goes edge to edge quicker than a marius and still lands soft.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-10-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
The One is going to land like a ton of bricks compared to a Marius or Shane. The new Marius is pretty sweet, definitely worth checking into.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-10-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
havnt tried the one or the marius or the shane, but I have Really liked Slingshot Recoil. I think it is worth looking into even if it ends up becoming a board that you ride to just "mix it up" with. It's by far the funnest board i've ridden

I'm not sure if you will like how it edges... seems from your description that you want a board that transfers edge to edge quickly? and is fast in general too? I think the recoil is fast, but the edge to edge transfer is not... how should i put it... "aggressive." seems most people's comments (and mine) is that the board kinda butters initialy and then holds an edge really well. it is loose and buttery when you want it and a quick sharp edge tool too.
The new flex boards such as slingshot has, has opened a whole new breed and category of wakeboards. It could be comparable with the categories of rocker types or molded-in-fin boards etc. Venture onto the flex-board branch when you get an opportunity and see what you think.

P.S. LF and obrien both have a rebounding flex technology board currently, but i have yet to hear any experience opinions of them
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-10-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
Marius hands down!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
for a board that rolls on to edge quicker you need to look at rail shape and tail shape. LF boards have the variable edge which makes their boards roll onto edge smoother but a little slower. but the variable egde is different on each of their boards. the PS3 has a super round center rail while the Axis has a sharper center rail which makes it roll onto edge much faster. the shane rail is inbetween.

the ronix One has a rounded center rail as well which is going to have that same effect. And the Marius because its so wide will make it transfer onto edge slower but the vtech helps with that.

The Shane is also a wider board the most. If you love your Shane I suggest you try the Lyman. It has the soft landings, strong edge hold(but releases easier), same speed, but because its a bit narrower then the shane it will roll onto edge quicker.
Or the Axis. It Gets on edge super fast and holds a really strong edge. Much faster then the Shane but it doesnt have the soft landings like the Shane.

when your looking at boards check out the rail shape and the tip and tail. sharp center rail sits on edge faster. Round tip/tail transfers edge to edge faster then a squared off tail.
Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-10-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
Ewing... I didn't like the Valhala... that's an ordinary board for me!!! Otherwise, the Natural is a real great one!!! It could feels like the Shane... the Shane got a bit more pop, feel looser and land softer, but the Natural is faster!!!

It's really not because I don't like my board, it's just because I'm looking for the best board for me!!! I had a crush on the Marius but I'm confused about the continuous rockers. Since I tried a 3-stages, I'm in love with it!!! I'm confused!!!!!
Old     (wake_passion)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-10-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
I ride a 07 143 valhalla I didn't mind it that much. I feel it lacked on pop but it was a nice loose feel on the water. I am looking at the ronix Ibex for this season
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-10-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
stick with the shane. i used to ride a marius. definitely a sick board but i'm totally diggin' the shane a lot more.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-10-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
bigL thanks I would give a Marius a try the 08 is faster than the 07. Also I am pretty sure a marius has all but 3" of rocker.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-11-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
Joe, what would you say about moving from the PS3 (06) to the Shane (08)?
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
Love the Shane. Expecially the landings! Also riding the Axis and liking it. It's indeed a bit faster on edge then the Shane. I should try the Marius and Axis, but I can imagine after riding does two, you'll still prefer the Shange...
Old     (mowakeboarding)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-11-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
The Marius is continues - however it is a WIDE shape. So it shoots plenty of air. Width allows for more board surface to be in contact with the wake = more upward force onto the board = more air.

For 2008 they added tip-and-tail ridges and more channels to the bottom which gives it more SPEED and softer landings.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-11-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
marius 140 = 17.63" mid width
shane 140 = 17.64" mid width
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-11-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
The mid width might be the same, but the Marius carries it's width all the way through the tip/tail more than the Shane. Their total surface areas are different.

Wide boards don't want to turn. They made the Shane turn by a combo of, the variable rail, a more aggressive outline (narrows from mid to tip), and multiple fins to keep the tail engaged. The Marius uses the V-tech (which is like a boat hull, it allows the board to essentially pivot on the V) and channels through the tip/tail.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Oughta try the 08 Valhalla. They added chevrons like the Coda and Natural have to speed it up, along with a more aggressive shape.
Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-11-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.... appreciate your tips!!!
Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-12-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
It looks like I'm gonna stick with my lovely Shane!!! Not so bad....
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-16-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
biglap, consider a marius platinum for a demo. ride it over a weekend if you get the chance. then you can compare it to your shane.