Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    mang            08-23-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
Check out the new 2005 Yamaha Boats & Waverunners that were released today.

www.yamaha-motor.com

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/categories/4/sbt/yamaha_boats.aspx

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/categories/3/wvr/yamaha_waverunners.aspx
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
so!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-23-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
PWC suck! haha
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-23-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
i agree with ALee
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
who doesnt agree?
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-24-2004, 6:33 AM Reply   
How else would you teach the youngsters to shoot the water balloon launcher?
Old     (nashjeffries)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-24-2004, 6:57 AM Reply   
i guess we have concluded that well all pwc and jet powered boats well suck
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
This part from the features list kills me...

"Aluminum wakeboard tower set at just the right angle for catching air"

God knows the tower has to be at just the right angle. A degree here or there off definitely spells disaster.

Old    skillet            08-26-2004, 5:43 AM Reply   
Has anyone driven or riden behind one of these Yamaha boats?

I'm in the market for a new boat and the AR230 seems to be alot of boat for the buck. Not a hardcore wakeboarder so the wake size etc isn't a big factor. 2 kids learning the sport and enjoyable ride on the lake is more important at this point.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-26-2004, 6:42 AM Reply   
Scott,
You would be much better off getting a used WB boat, or even an I/O over a jet boat. You and your kids will out grow the boat in a summer. They suck at holding speed(unless its full throttle), the wake table is all washed out, they are built poorly, and they don't track worth a sh#t. My advice is to keep looking.
Old    skillet            08-26-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
I appreciate the input....my question is have you driven on of these new boats or are you lumping this in w/a '95 seadoo boat?
At first look anyway, this 230 series is a much bigger "boat" vs. 6 seater jet ski.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-26-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Scott,
Click on the above link and look at the bottom left hand side of the picture when it splits in forths. You can see the wake and the table inbetween. I have not driven one, but a jet drive is a jet drive know matter what you put it in. I will say the quality of the boats looks like it has gotten a lot better.
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
My neighbor just got a new Yamaha Jet boat. Not sure what model it is. It really is a blast to drive but kind of one dimentional if you ask me. I would look at a used DD. Handles just as good and much more versatile for the family.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-26-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
I have boarded behind a 20' Yamaha and the wake sucked, it was terrible for holding speed and it sucked gas like no tomorrow.

It was very fast and fun to drive but it was not a good ski/wakeboard boat.

For 30K buy a good used direct drive or new i/o with perfect pass and a tower and don't look back.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-29-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
Scott,
Don't go with the jetboat. You'll regret it. They have terrible resale and the wakes have no shape. People buy them thinking they're getting a wakeboard boat and then realize just b/c it has a tower, doesn't mean it's a wakeboard boat. Check out some used boats or Moomba makes a great boat for the dollar. I'd suggest getting out and testdriving or riding behind as many boats as you can. Then if the boats you like are out of your price range, look for something similar in a used boat. Good luck
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-02-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
Anyone else spot a problem with this guys take off?

http://http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/sbt/500/05_bts_ar230HO_6d.jpg

(Message edited by brit_rider on September 02, 2004)

(Message edited by brit_rider on September 02, 2004)
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-02-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
Brit Rider -

I think you are correct!!! All of my pics show guys hitting the wake and then getting air! It looks to me like he left the water before hitting that big foamy thing.

The shadows also look like the wakeboarder has sun shining on his front, whereas the boat shadow looks different. I'm no photo shop genius, but looks cheesy.

On a more serious note, Scott, I do think the ability of the boat to hold its speed will be important for your kids as they start kneeboarding or wakeboarding. Some kids are pretty sensitive to getting scared if you go too fast. In a jet boat it will be very hard to hold the same speed at slower speeds. Consider a good mid quality I/O or used inboard.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-02-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
That must be some really hard spray to kick him up in the air like that
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-02-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
Yamaha also makes an outboard wakeboard boat for the Japanese market. Here's a pic with a guy getting huge air.

The only problem is that they also have a video on the site and if you watch the video, you can see the exact same shot, only without the 6-foot kicker Photoshopped out!

I'd still take the outboard over the jet-drive though.

Scott,

Here's what I'd do:

Look for a nice used I/O with low hours, then put a tower and PerfectPass on there. Then, maybe a fat sack or two in there, as necessary. OR...if you like, go for a direct drive.

With an I/O, you can get a boat that's just as big as the Yamaha and much better for wakeboarding, at less than half the price. An inboard will give up some room and cost a bit more (than the I/O) but will likely produce a cleaner steeper wake. From the sound of it, I think the I/O probably fits your needs best.

Either way, a propeller-driven boat is the way to go. The physics of a jet drive just do not allow for consistent speed and direction with a rider pulling from all directions.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-02-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
I know.. I'm sure there must be somthing illegal there, making out you can ge tbig air off the flats of a jet boat...
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-02-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
there really is no wake zero nada none. that is a sorry excuse for a boat. i hope they make jet skis illegal!
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-02-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
New “No-Wake” Mode

haha, I thought that was a standard option on all jet boats?
Old    grampawakerider            09-04-2004, 8:09 PM Reply   
If you want, I have an 18.5 ft i/o that I am putting on the market. Has tower, perfect pass, I'm throwing in the sacs and board racks too. Everything you need but the rope, handle and board setup. It is a terrific family boat. Tops out @ over 50 mph. All I ever do is wakeboard, so I'm getting a wakeboard boat.
Old    zackv            09-06-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
if yamaha put an i/o in that boat that would be a good boat but till then go with a tige