Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    xtremrider            07-02-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
After a few hours of riding my hands will start getting torn up, does anyone use loves, if so what kind.
Old    isaac_d_funk            07-02-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
Have you considered new handles, like foam or softer handles? Check out the Hardline handles. Very comfortable and super light, and yet, won¡¦t kill you. (like the Accurate handles ƒº )

http://www.tritonsports.com

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-02-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
If they are sore from friction, gloves might help. Or, you could buy a more gentle handle. The Eva types are nice and kooshy. If it is just soreness from holding on a long time, gloves will not help much anyway.

You will probably get some harassment about wearing gloves. I'm not sure why (some will say you cannot feel the handle!!), but it happens (I pick on my brother who wears gloves, but they are neon so it is ok!!). I do not wear gloves and have a nice masterline handle with an EVA amoeba-like grip, I love it!
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-02-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
Ooops, Funkster beat me to it!!! I still like the handle idea, but as far as gloves, I imagine any waterski gloves would work well.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
The Accurate Carbon handles have a nice cushy foam handle pad, with square raised grooves for grip. I love the feel of it, no gloves needed! TO bad it's falling apart, one chip at a time LOL uggghhhhhh
Old    leggester            07-02-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
3/4 finger HO gloves. Kevlar palm. I tend ot stay away from just leather.
Old    mandi            07-02-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
I use conelly ski gloves. I use a straight line handle and it tears up my hands.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-02-2003, 10:08 AM Reply   
Get away from that computer, go outside, and do some "man's work." Dig a 3 foot hole in your yard, then cut down a tree with an axe, then build a new addition on your house.
Do all that and you'll never need gloves again.
Old    petergunz            07-02-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
my friend has a curly red mop for hair, wears a headband, gloves, purple vest, and has been known to wear some pink board shorts. People think his style is bomb so I wouldn't worry about getting crap for wearing gloves. LOL

but seriously, he is just goofy. I would definitely try a softer handle.
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-02-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
My friend and I both wear gloves when riding. My hands get torn up enuff w/gloves. However our runs are usually over an hour each time we hit the water and if the weather holds up we both end up taking around 4 runs a day. Its always, "wait, one more time" with us. Then again we dont get to get out as often as we'd like either so we hog the run.
Old    leggester            07-02-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Hehehe, I have built the addition, dug the holes.

I wear cowhide or pig gloves for that ;)
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-02-2003, 1:05 PM Reply   
Want stronger hands,get rid of the gloves.Get a BETTER HANDLE.
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-02-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
just tie the tow rope to your wakeboard to solve the hand problem
Old    leggester            07-02-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
Sure, sure, heard that before, but I'm not on a macho trip. A handle will not make your hands stronger, BTW.

Nothing wrong with gloves. Those that are extremely vain, or want to fit in so bad they can taste it have a problem gloves and/or helmets.

Personally, I'll wear what's comfortable and works for me. Don't really care what others think of it.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-02-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
I have found that the Amoeba handles tear my hands up. Something about the way that they give, flex, and bite in the palm. I have a Proline rubber handle with little octagons that works well for me. I prefer a rubber tractor over many soft handles, as I do not have to hang on as tight. Like many others I am a salesman who no longer digs ditches, so I have soft hands.

Gloves are a necessity in the winter and kevlar is my preference.

Matt, I am with you. Because I blow eardrums so often I forced to wear a helmet. I was one of the first ones at the Delta wearing one. Now helmets are more accepted, except mine because I prefer a Gath. Heh
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-02-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
Matt,relax dude.It's not a macho trip,it's the truth.I wear them in the winter when the water is 50 degrees.
A nice handle will make it easier to hold on to.I myself don't like gloves for anything,except snowboarding and softball.I also think a helmet is a good idea!
Old    leggester            07-02-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
Sorry Rich, but I guess it gets a bit old. The continous: Do you wear gloves, Is a non-USCG vest OK, Helmets are for dorks... ... type of posts.

I just can't see why anyone would care if another person wore gloves or not.

Anyway, have fun all.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-02-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
Parks wears gloves sometimes,nobody trashes him.I heard the helmets are for dorks,when I brought it up earlier this year,now my friends want to wear one.
I won't let anyone wear a non USCG vest in my boat anymore,they become my responsability when they are in my boat.If they bitch,they don't come back.
If you look at some of the old waketech pics they all wore gloves,and wieght belts while they rode.
We've come a long way.......
Old    xtremrider            07-02-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
Well if you read the post its not about if you wear gloves, but which gloves you wear. And i work in a lumber co. I lift lumber and rebar all day long its just the fact that my 4 hours of riding with my squid grip handle tends to rip off the entire callos, so i was wondering if there is anything to help.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
xtremrider- I have calluses on my hands from working out in the gym and with my old handle I used to get blood blisters under them. They would then tear off and it hurt like hell.
I bought a Byerly handle and never had anymore problems. I honestly think if you find the right handle you will not have to wear gloves. Just my 2.
Old    deiselgrover            07-02-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
Xtremrider:
I wear a pair of Straight Line Tournament Gloves. Cost $30 on http://www.caribecatalog.com/store/store.php?product_id=4404 I have only had them for a few months but they seem to be holding up alright. I like them. I feel like I get a better grip with them, but it is probably more mental than anything. But it does save the hands a bit.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-03-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
Gloves tear up the soft handles very quickly, so I don't wear gloves with the soft, foam style handles. I used to wear my Nevin Kevlar Wraps everytime I rode. I've tried a lot of other gloves, but I always go back to the Kevlar wraps.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-03-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
i cut my calluses off as they develop to keep them from ripping while I ride.
Old    martini            07-03-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
parks is the only rider that can wear gloves because he does stuff way bigger than most...they are skin colored so he doesn't look like a waterskier...everyone else has no excuse!
Old    leggester            07-03-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
See Rich? I rest my case.
Old    martini            07-03-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
anyone can wear what every they want, as long as they are comfortable and having fun with it...you what looks the best...speedo's and goggles with a cape while trick skiing!!!!
Old    wakemaster            07-05-2003, 10:45 PM Reply   
I wear the O'Brien 3/4 Skin Gloves.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-06-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
OJ wore gloves. I don't.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
gloves are for girls! If you can ride for a few hours like you say then your the man!

Grin and bear it dude!
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-06-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
I wear gloves every ride, short or long runs...but really who cares who does or dont?

I dont need to ride glovless for a few hours to be the man. Plus, whos in the market for girls? Im for da women! (just dont tell my wife)
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-06-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
I wear gloves for most of my riding, regardless of the handle. I find if I'm riding 3 plus runs a day my hands get torn up. I would recommend thinner gloves to counter what most people complain about loosing feel. A thin glove offers some protection while still giving a rider most of the slight feel aspects they may like.