Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-11-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
I was hoping someone could explain the differences between the Power, Manual and Floating Wedges. Maybe explain the pro's and con's of each. I know the power wedge is the "best" but are the other wedges fine for most people? I am looking at an A22 and they come with the "floating" Wedge.

Thanks.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-11-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
The Axis floating wedge works great. You just drop it and forget about it. It automatically floats to the spot that increases drag the most and thus makes the wake bigger. Autowedge you have to adjust as you drive. I am pretty sure a manual wedge and a floating wedge are the same thing. I could be totally wrong though.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-11-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Floating wedge replace manual "locking" wedge in 06 (I think). They don't make the locking wedge any longer. The wedge on the A22 when deployed doesn't really make the wake any bigger, it just changes the shape adding a lip at the top of the wake. i like the wedge on the A22 Johnydefacto on this site doesn't have the wedge (just a lot of weight) and his wake is awesome also - just shaped a little different.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-12-2011, 5:08 AM Reply   
Having owned a 2007 vlx with a power wedge and a 2011 a22 with a floating wedge, I can assure you that the wedge does make the wake bigger. It also does tend to make the wake lippier as well. That being said, can you get the same size wake out of an a22 or vlx without using the wedge and, instead, adding a bunch of extra weight? Yes, but the wake will not have quite as much lip. With my old vlx slamming the boat and using the wedge would sometimes cause the wake to roll at 80 ft. I don't have the same issue with the a22.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-12-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
OK, thanks for clarfiying that. So you can't really use a floating wedge to adjust the "trim" of the boat like you can with a wakeplate, it only makes the wake bigger (which is all I really want it for). Do you use a floating wedge for surfing too?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-12-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
Yes, with the new 2012 A22 platform, you can use the floating wedge and still have a nice clean wave.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-12-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
Chat, i am glad to hear the wedge doesnt wash the wake in a slammed a22. I have experience riding a slammed 2007 vlx and found when adding the wedge it washed the lip out, putting a nice little "san 230" foam on the lip

That is the reason i ordered mine without the wedge, plus it saved me a grand by not adding it plus letting me get away with the small motor saving me even more...
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-13-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
I was told at the boat show by Chris who used to be head of sales that the floating wedge came into play when they were testing the power wedge. The power wedge kept breaking and it would float behind the boat. The realized the floating set up was better than the manual wedge, so they got rid of the manual wedge......