Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-05-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Alright, my buddy wants to go to shawn murray's camp in florida but it is expensive. Does any know of or has been to a good camp on the east coast between north carolina and florida? One that is not a fortune. we would do 2,3 days or even a week.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-05-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
http://www.cobleskischool.com/
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-05-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
In the summer, Adam Fields has a camp on Lake Gaston, NC. Not sure when he's heading back south, but you should definitely get up with him. You'd get a lot more bang for your buck than you would at Coble's for sure.

www.adamswakeboardschool.com
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-05-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Josh, my son and I went to Coble and it's all hit and miss. Unfortunately, it was miss for us. The first 3 days there, I don't think the instructors we had even knew how to wakeboard. Last days were decent, but nothing that was worth paying for. I've heard they rotate out a lot of instructors and some are awesome. I was also told they get paid next to nothing (that coming from one of the instructors), so it's hard to get quality people. Oh yeah, meals are included, but you will starve.
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-05-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Josh man, i saw that you lived in asheville, which lake do you go to, i live right near there.
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-05-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
http://www.strwake.com/ thats the local one to charlotte they are super nice guys an have alot of skill on the boat for there camps! austin hair rode with them when he was new at the sport an look at him now!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-05-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
IMO camps are overrated. Use AL Gore's amazing interweb to hook up with some good local riders and shred with them. Keep your $1-3K for gas money with your new crew. For a $20 a set you can ride hundreds of times as opposed to 15 at a camp. The best coach in the world can't teach TOW (time on the water).
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-05-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Bunch of NC wake info here:

http://www.endofropegang.com/
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-06-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Camps are expensive, but I've had great experiences at the two I've been to, Mike Schwenne's, West Coast Camps in California and Shaun Murray's, The Boarding School in Florida. Luker is right if you can find the right people who can teach, you don't necessarily need to go to a camp, but for me there are differences.

1. When I am at camp I have a whole week to ride, watch others ride, hang out with people as into riding as I am and be away from all the distractions of my normal life.

2. The camps I went to have outstanding programs and coaches. They attract riders who are really interested in progressing ( and in being coached) and they foster a super positive attitude that is infectious.

3. For me, the opportunity to hang out with some of the most influential riders in our sport for a few days gets me so fired up for riding that the enthusiasm carries over for at least the whole season.

4. I learned things in those 15 rides that I haven't been able to learn on my own no matter how much time I spend trying.

5. Watching the coaches ride, riding back to the house or houseboat as the sun is setting, spending the evening talking about boarding and watching tons of old riding videos, exchanging e mails and photos afterward all make for some of the best vacation experiences I've had.

That said, I've seen enough posts about mediocre or just plain bad camp experiences that I would choose carefully. This forum is a great resource for camp info., so if you can come up with the scratch, go for it.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Get up with Adam. Great coach. Good rates and a really good time. www.adamswakeboardschool.com
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-06-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
I can vouch for www.strwake.com. Danny and his crew at South Town Riders are awesome. I have taken a couple of one on ones with him personally and with other guys from their crew. The nice thing about them is they are very professional and take the time to learn what your style is and then teach you from there. Props to STR!
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-10-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
thanks fellas, you gave me some stuff to look at.
genius (jakoerber) we have a place on lake hartwell s.c. where do you board at?
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-10-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
I work at Coble, so I can give you some firsthand info If you would like...We are geared towards beginner and intermediate riders usually from 8-18 years old although we probably get 1-3 adults a week so if you are working on handle pass inverts, or tech/advanced spins I would go elsewhere (Adam Fields runs a great camp, and can teach you anything). We do rotate through coaches....we have the most wakeboarders in June and the first 3 weeks or so in July, so that is the best time to come as we have the most wakeboard specific coaches at that time. You get to ride pretty much the glassiest water you'll find anywhere behind an X2, so thats pretty sweet. Personally, I think the food is good. Breakfast is nothing fancy, its just cereal, muffins, bagels, but there are options...and lunch and dinner are good. Again its not gourmet but its home cooked food that is simple and good and will fill you up. Summary-coble is good for beginners and intermediate riders especially younger people who want a camp experience, Adam Fields is great for more advanced riders who want personal coaching.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-10-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
Just shoot Travis Moye an email (travis@theboardingschool.com) and he will work something out with you. It is well worth the $$$ spent; the coaching, the staff and the experience itself are priceless.

I am headed back for my fifth trip to The Boarding School in October and can't wait to get there. Les D pretty much sums up the complete experience.