Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-03-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
now this is all just opinion so don't freak out

I've been checking it out here and there and it just seems cheesy a lot of the time, bad videos, I mean pointless videos, bad filming, not great riding, like riders warm up sets making them not look that great

horrible articles with pointless contests and content making it look a lot like someone's personal home website not like a profesional magazines website

now don't get me wrong there is a lot of stuff they put up that is great, but I'd say at least half is just pointless stuff just to have more content for their site, which seems to make a lot of their stuff look chessy

what do you think

remember all just opinion and I do love Alliance and their Magazine
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
I personally enjoy their content. I like the fact that there is always something new to read or watch.

Just like this discussion board, you have to go through a bit of crap to find something good.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-03-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
I think your opinion would be better received if you were not with Big Block Productions.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-03-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
i like that stuff, its more fun to see the pros having fun and being in their personal element. To each is own i guess.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-03-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
It's just fun stuff. Something new to occupy a few moments of time in between long periods of no new magazines. If they made each and every thing posted something meaningful and worthwhile, in everyones eyes, then things would never get posted.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-03-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I agree that it is good to see the pros messing around, and also to see that even people in fairly important positions have little more maturity than I do. It gives me hope for my future.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-03-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
I disagree, I like it and enjoy the videos regardless on how cheesy the content is. It has something to do with wakeboarding and I get to watch people bust tricks I can't pull.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
if anything it shows you how pros really are.. not only their amazingness..for some of us it gives you a feeling that you have a chance of becoming pro one day too.

Also, some free ride videos of just messin around.. like in Bob Sovens new vid on alliance of him doin ollie 360's and a tanny to blind off an exit ollie is what gets me siked the most! you want to watch comp footy, 1080's, and double flips everyday? go for it.

its all about spreading the stoke.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-03-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
cheesy is funny and i like funny.
You cant be serious all the time can you Dirty? you must be over like 50 or something to not find alot of that content funny...
for the videos. would you rather see no videos atall...or one done by someone that maybe just isnt as good as AVE?
and if you think the ridings bad. thats nothing to do with the website thats to do with the riders... so your not also hating on the website videos your hating on the riders. way to go. maybe you should play a sport like bowls.
im just trying to think of a video that ive watched on there thats had "not great riding in" im guessing you wana see 1260's on every video you click on to.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-03-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
Its just stuff to keep you occupied and to keep bringing you back.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-03-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
WoW don't get mad some people just stating my opinion and wondering others, if you like it cool if not cool, but you got some good points there also

I was just saying as a leading top magazine I'd want top quality stuff on my site not for the fans of wakeboarding who already love the sport but for the people of other sports checking it out or maybe getting into it

coming from another industry, I have nothing to do with wakeboarding I'm just a fan of the sport and rider, it's a great site for people who are already into it but for others who don't know it or aren't into wakeboarding that much, I just think it has a lot of articles and videos that are boring and really just trying to fill content when they have nothing better to put up

I guess what Im trying to say is less with top quality content is better than tons of ok content, do you agree or no?

p.s. I have nothing to do with "Big Block Producitons" and that's an old friends email and I can't change it to my email, I own a production company in Hollywood that has nothing to do with actions sports, strictly movies and tv shows

and I'm not trying to talk bad about Alliance Mag, I like their Mag and enjoy reading it, I'm just stating my opinion about their site on a forum asking what anyone else thinks, so don't get mad and freak out, a lot of people get really worked up on these forums about people stating their opinions.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-03-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
Let me put this a different way

you are all into wakeboarding right, what if you wanted to get into say BMX riding and went to 1 of the top magazines websites to check the sport out cause you didn't know much about it

would you wanna see a ton of mediocre videos and articles, some that have nothing to do with the actual sport or less but great high quality videos and articles about the riders and the sport?
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-03-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
let's face it Jeff McKee is freakin hilarious!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-03-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
^^^ dito ^^^

nevertheless i can kinda get where your coming from Dirty, thanks for sharing. don't worry to much if there is not so many people who might share similar feelings.

but at the same time, all the quirkiness of our sport, be it practice runs, day in the life's, JM madness, etc. it is what makes wakeboarding what it is to some degree. there is always something about all sports that is gona steer people away i suppose and always stuff that will grab them and stick them in their spot... like Murray's boog' on Retrospect video.
i laugh every time, a select few family members cant see beyond the "grossness"
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-03-2009, 11:01 PM Reply   
I think a better question is if you'd want a wakeboarding magazine to gear their content towards the occasional crossover fan that visits from a different sport or towards the regular visitors from the sport of wakeboarding.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-03-2009, 11:17 PM Reply   
VLX Envy

"I think your opinion would be better received if you were not with Big Block Productions."

That quote is probably the best one Ive ever read on here, Thank You from a group larger than you could ever imagine.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-04-2009, 12:32 AM Reply   
All the videos by AVE are really good.
Old    kc700            01-05-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Alliance wake is IMO one of the best wakeboard sites in existence.

I am not entirely sure why anyone would classify their videos as cheesy or mediocre, especially the ones produced by Alliance themselves. All of their in-house videos are extremely well done. From time to time they post videos contributed by outside sources. Some of these vids can be poorer quality as far as production, but the content is always relevant and interesting.

The staff there spends a great deal of time around the riders and events they are covering. This allows them to take an in-depth approach when covering not just the trips and events in a technical sense, but the people, personalities and vibes that are usually associated with each.

I think this site does a great job of conveying what this sport is all about.

On a side note..If you dont mind me asking..What production company is it that you own dirty?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-05-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
I find it mind boggling that you dis a company that offers it's website and magazine for FREE!!! It may not be the most hard hitting info ever but Bill McCaffray and crew have gone about setting up a mag and site chalk full of inside jokes that keep them and us entertained. It's the small buzz that is the core of the sport, small time riders, random shenanigans and good times. Alliance exudes fun!!
Old    kc700            01-09-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hmmmm. No answer. Bueller? Bueller?
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-09-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Posting something like this, you had to see this coming dirty.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-09-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
Well also keep in mind it is the winter time. There isn't a whole lot of stuff going on right now.

And I'll also defend my boys at Alliance all day long.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on January 09, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-09-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
+1 for liking it....they have fun, 3 cheeseburgers and a 7.... can't find that anywhere else