Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-03-2011, 9:44 PM Reply   
No!! it's not for towing! so before all you deisel 3/4 ton guys chime in, it's just for an everyday work truck for me.
I'm thinking about a new F-150 for everyday driving and work and am thinking about a new Lariat, but was surprised to see a 5.0 was the biggest engine available. they offer the 6.2 in the Raptor , but that's not what I'm looking for. Any 5.0 owners out there ? Enough power?? seems kinda small for a full size truck, that's only 305 cu in
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-03-2011, 10:22 PM Reply   
why not just get the eco boost V6? 420 ft-lbs.....the 5.0L only puts out 380 ft-lbs. Motors are small but are putting out big numbers. Gotta give it up the the engineers at Ford, the new stuff seems to be doing really well.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-03-2011, 10:58 PM Reply   
Enough power?
I've had more 5.4 Ford company trucks than I have fingers to count them and while for the most part they were bullet proof, they were kinda turdly in the power dept.
Rented a new 5.0 F150 CC this winter (cheaper than a compact car in Ft Lauderdale....go figure) and just got a new 5.0 company truck, F150.
This engine has balls! Period.
More snort than any other small block (stock) engine from any of the mfrs, incl the 5.7 hemi and the 5.7 yoda.
FWIW, I'm not a Ford guy AT ALL, never been one and I think this engine is the *****.
Romped on my Co truck today with the tractio control off and it broke the wheels loose pretty good on the 1-2 shift, dry pavement. Tore the tires off of the rental this winter, hockey tournament = party!
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-04-2011, 5:48 AM Reply   
get the ecoboost, thing pulls my supra no problem, my 2010 5.4 works way harder than that engine, simply amazing.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-04-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
I got the EcoBoost and love It, drove a 5.4 for 7 yrs and this engine destroys that one. I test drove the new 5.0 and the EcoBoost back to back and hands down liked the EcoBoost better. If you like the beefy v8 sound go with the 5.0 cuz the EcoBoost is quit.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
2 things:

1.) The 5.0 kicks ass, especially if you want to just use it as a daily driver but if you tow/haul whatever it will do a great job there too.
2.) You can get a 6.2 liter in the Lariat but it has to be a crew cab.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Thanks guys and Hate, I was hoping you'd chime in! Glad to hear the 5.0 isn't a downgrade from the 5.4, I hadn't really considered the ecoboost though , maybe I'll have to drive them both.
I'm in no rush, and will likely end up ordering one which I've always done. I can never find a truck on a lot a with the exact options I want. I keep my trucks 10 years + so I need to be happy with my purchace. And you're right Hate, I want a Super Cab, which seem much harder to find than Crew Cabs...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
Yeah crew cabs are what most people are after these days hence what are ordered for the lots. I think once you drive them both you'll be pretty surprised with the performance and how nice the steering is. I finally got to tow with my 5.0, it was much nicer than was the 5.4 and I liked that just fine. I was also happy to get 13 while towing, granted it was only 23 miles but a decent test none the less.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-04-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Get the back up camera... Hooking up the trailer is so much easier with it.

My son was down at Infineon raceway a few weeks ago for bracket racing and there was a 4X4 Lariat with the Ecoboost running 15.2's 1/4 mile... That flat out smokes my 08 5.4.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-04-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
+1 back up camera.

Even if you do not hook up a trailer often... I put a crappy little aftermarket one on my truck because I have to hook up and disconnect my trailer 2 times everytime I take my boat out, and it is so awesome!!

Also, very interested in that F150 ecoboost too.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-05-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
While I've got Hate's attention here... One pet peeve - Fords optioning/ordering system always seems so limited to be able to build the truck I want.
For instance, I want a white 4x4 super cab with tan leather interior. You can't get leather in an XLT, and on a FX4 (which is the truck I really would prefer) it is only available with BLACK interior. Black is absolutely out of the question, so I have to go to a Lariat , which really has more chrome and crap on it than I would prefer... rant over ;-)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-05-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
Here's how it went.. I want a white FX4 supecab, with tan laether and a 6.2... sorry 6.2 only on crewcab or Raptor. Ok i'll take a 5.0 - sorry no tan leather on a FX4, ok I'll take an XLT, sorry no leather on an XLT... ok I guess I'm stuck with a Lariat and all that chrome...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
You're killing me! The F150 options are toooo many but I see what you mean. If I were you I'd get the Lariat without the chrome package or get an XLT and add leather for about $1500, the people we use do an amazing job and everything is leather rather than just the seating surfaces.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-06-2011, 3:23 PM Reply   
The new 5.0 motor rips. I drove one. It made me smile.