Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-04-2003, 6:10 PM Reply   
What age do kids start to get it (wakeboarding)?
How young can they be when the start to try?
Old    boatarded            06-04-2003, 6:28 PM Reply   
I totally depends on the kid. My older daughter started at 6, but could'nt really get it, I don't think she had the leg strength and/or she was'nt that motivated to do it. Now she is 8 and get's up first pull every time and is progressing her snowboarding is progressing well also. I started my 4 year old skiing (snow) this winter and she got the hang of it pretty quick. I am going to try and prompt her to get behing the boat this summer at least to get the feel of it, no pressure.

So it's all about what the kid wants. (And how soon mom will let them get in)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-04-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
My son started riding at age 4. I had to get in the water with him, help him turn over / straighten the board out (held the tail a little when he took off). I must have swam about 2 miles everytime he rode. Now he's 7 and he rides more than anyone I know. I have to stop the boat so other people can have a turn. He really loves it. To get them started, you have to make it a fun, low pressure situation, and make sure that they are comfortable floating in the water with a board on. Definitely better to learn in warm water. Dana pretty much is starting to rip now.

Old    xtigeman            06-04-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
My girls got up when they were 5 and 6.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-04-2003, 9:50 PM Reply   
Our girl Reigan started at 4.
Other girl Ryleigh started at 8 and was going wake to wake with grabs at 9.
Boy Ryan will start at 3 I garantee. He hates to be out done.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    hayduke            06-04-2003, 10:45 PM Reply   
If they can stand, they can wakeboard. Get'm going asap.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-05-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
I see a kid riding all the time that can't be more than 3.
He doesn't go out of the wakes, but he rides up and down the lake all day. It's funny because the bindings go all the way up to his knees. I'm sure he will be better than me soon.
Old    sickboy            06-05-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
I started my nephew at 5, he got up on his third try.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-05-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
I have pics of my kids underwater before they could walk, the sooner you get them in the water the better. We would take Jacob out and shoot him back and forth between eachother on a knee board to get him used to being on top of the board. The we started him in the slow zone on the knee board with mom or dad in the water with him, until he mastered that. Then he rode with my husband a couple of times on the board with him and then he progressed from there. He rode in the Phoenix pro am when he was 4 1/2 and did pretty well considering what he was up against (12 year olds)
It's funny though. his favorite toy as a baby was a wakeboard handle. He would make us hold it as he did all the moves from the wakeboard videos he had seen. We finally would just hook it to our foot so we could see the tv! LOL! No disney movies for Jacob, it was all about Darrin and Shaun!!
}
Old    turtle            06-05-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
Start them young. My boys started at 4 and 8...I put miles and miles of just straight ridding with them. Today they are 6 and 10 and well they have a blast...both go w2w, grabs, lipslides..and ride the skate, the both work on rolls.
Old    reefhunter            06-05-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
It's more whenever they're ready. If you push them too hard they won't like it and it won't be fun. Team Valdez has got it right.
Old     (oldboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-05-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
Both my boys started young. The 9 year old started at 4 and the younger one waited until he was five. We waited for the kids to ask, and then taught them what they asked to be taught. Both are edging through the wake. The 9 year old gets big air (just starting to grab) into the flats, but doesn't want to try spins/other moves yet. So we teach what he likes, big air. The 7 year old is happy with one wake jumps for now.

BTW I used to be into desert motorcycle racing (away from family except for pits), but wakeboarding allows the whole family to stay together and have a good time. (Plus I'm old and broken up a bit)

To end a long story that should have stayed short: If the KID wants it, teach him/her. I don't think 3 is too young, as long as they can swim. Go slow, be patient, know the limits of the child's enthusiasm that day, and encourage often.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-05-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
Parks started at 10 months old or something crazy on a pair of trainer skis. For anyone that has seen "All or Nothing" you know what I'm talking about.
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-05-2003, 8:49 PM Reply   
Actually Parks is riding those skis at 6 months old. He's listed in the books as the youngest ever. I started my son at 7. Got up the first time. Took a bit to control the board but he's going to be 9 in Sept.and he's now a wakeboard hog! Likes to show off when doing his tricks and he's getting real good. Start them when they show the interest. Even if you thinks it's too young. Always make a big deal when they do it. Keeps them wanting to do more!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-06-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
What is a good setup for kids 8 to 13?

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/gromdept.lasso?-session=buywake:300FE5ABFC6898AD58CCA36BF8254644
Old    xtigeman            06-06-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
I have that Hyperlite Motive or mini Belmont with some extra xmall Blindside Cinch wraps. Actually, for young kids get a bigger binding. They are not going to be jumping or doing inverts yet and it is too hard from their weak legs to get into tight bindings. We use larger bidnings now. Old Hyperlite 30.60s work well or something lace up so they can get in and out easy.
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-07-2003, 5:52 AM Reply   
My 8 year old son has Hyperlite Belmont Mini Squirts. They fit well and he still has alot of room to grow. I totally disagree with you Doug on your comment about the kids not going to be jumping, or their legs too weak to get into bindings. I guess that depends on how old you're talking about when you say "young kids". You did a study on this right? Tested young kids legs to make a determination that they are too weak to get into a binding? I'm not being argumentative, sorry for coming across that way, just trying to figure out if this is your opinion based on your own kids or you've done a study with other kids. Don't think they won't be doing jumps. With all the video's my son has watched for the last 2 years, he wants to do what the pro's are doing. HE IS JUMPING believe me! You certainly don't want to get a binding that is so tight they can't get their feet in it either. With the way kids feet grow, you'll be buying a new binding every season. Try a few on. You'll know what's right once you see them on, but in my opinion, the Belmont mini's are the best for a young rider. I am going on my own experience with my son and there was a recent post here from a woman asking the same about a kids binding and the majority posted the Belmont Squirts. Lace ups are the easiest for kids.
Old    gotpwr            06-07-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
My 6 and 8 year old girls have a Motive 119 with Spin Bindings size mini. RV @ Grizzly was having a special on that setup a month or so ago. My girls are just learning so they are more concerned with just trying to stay up, rather than jumping. Hopefully that will change soon.
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-09-2003, 4:35 PM Reply   
Sorry for the confusion on my last post. DUH! I'm combing my son's board and bindings. My bad. He uses a Liquid Force Mini Squirt and his bindings are Belmont Spins. Sheesh, I know what I'm talking about I promise!
Dan, we played around alot with my sons fins when he first started. At first, the larger fins gave him more traction when he was first started boarding so he was able to stay up longer and not spin so out so much. We switched them to a smaller fin when he was more comfortable so he can start doing surface 180's, butterslides, etc etc. You may want to try that until they get comfortable.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-10-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
another thing to do that is fun for them and not so much in "training " mode is to take off the fins all together. they have a blast and it helps them with balance and spinning as well (not to mention dialing in the handle pass) My kids are jumping, My nine year old has three inverts so yes they will be jumping!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
just get them out on your tubes damedoggie. i was skiing when i was 5 and see boarders the same age often. if you and your crew were fun, then the kids will be begging to try like the kids in our crew.
Old    crash_and_burn            06-10-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
My son is 10 and has been boarding since last summer. He rides a Hyperlite and love it. I took off his fins last month. As for his knees,, he gets higher than most adults, I have been wouking with him to keep his upper body upright and knees bent,, this keeps the shock off the back and knees.

Air Kevin
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-16-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice.

My friends visited last weekend with their kids.

Their 7 year old son got up for 10 seconds on his first try and rode out a full set on his second try. He was edging heel and toe. It was pretty sweet to see.

Their 9 year old daughter did not want to get into the water because she was afraid of fish. Bummer about that.
Old    crash_and_burn            06-16-2003, 2:37 PM Reply   
Update,, keep a close watch on kids feet. I bought my son's bindings 14 months ago. This last Sat he was out and took a huge jump. He landed hard and the bindings were too tight. He brused the front part of his upper foot real bad and can't walk. The binding had cut the upper part of his foot!. I went down to our local shop and bought some Belmonts. Size medium.. He had been on mini splits.. Not once had he complained until it blew out his foot. I guess i should have kept a better eye on this.