Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-06-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
I know there are a lot of threads goin on here about knee injuries and braces...ect, I might as well add one more.

I tore my ACL and Meniscus in early august doin a tantrum, and I have surgery scheduled Oct. 9th. Im 20 years old and pretty athletic. I was wondering how much rehab time it took for you guys to get back to 100% and be able to wakeboard again? My doc said I should be fine and strong enough to ride in April...But I was hoping there might be a chance I could be back to 100% sooner than that so I can start running and working out again.

So...how long were you all out of commission after your knee surgeries? Im kinda bummed I'm missing the late part of the wakeboard season, and am wanting to put together a time frame to shoot for.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-06-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hey I tore my acl, meniscus, and chipped a little piece of my tibia off on April 15, had surgery on April 30th. I just started to ride last week and feel pretty good with riding. I haven't started to throw inverts again yet but am doing all of my old spins and learned alot of new switch spins. I started to wakesurf as soon as I got my knee brace which was about 8 weeks after surgery. The only reason that I was able to start to ride again so early is because I was very aggressive with my physical therapy. You have to be if you ever want to be 100 % again. I made sure to do all of the little bed excercises that they gave me as well as go to therapy and to the gym in my spare time. Stretching is huge as well. I stretch 3 times a day now usually and feel better now than I ever have in my life. I wouldn't say that my knee is 100 percent yet cause I still need the brace to ride. I do feel in another 5 to 6 months that I will be able to kick the brace and get back into everything I used to do. Some sports are easier to get back into than others cause of the muscles that are used. Wakeboarding is a very quad dominant sport and your quad will recover quickly. Running however will take the longest to get back into due to the extreme full range of motion that you must have as well as it being a hamstring dominant sport. They are most likely doing a hamstring graft on you and that will cause your hamstring to loose a lot of mass and strength. That is the hardest muscle to get to stretch back out and to build back up. It's not so bad though. At least they can fix us idiots now a days.