Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (azwakbdr)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
I am getting ready to lift my 06 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I tow my Mobius LSV and a 30 ft toy hauler (not at the same time). I am not worried about the loss of power, I just want to see what is the best lift out there for my truck. RCD, Fabtech? Any suggestions?? :-)
Thanks!!
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-05-2009, 10:55 PM Reply   
kelderman air suspension if money isnt a problem.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-06-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
You will definately loose some power from larger tires, however, a chip will easily make up the difference. I have had several lift and tire combos on my truck and was so dissappointed in the loss of power, hassle of climbing in, and handling while towing that I put my truck back to stock. I do drive my truck 3000 miles a month though. Just remember there will be a trade off from that cushy factory ride.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-06-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
I've gone through some tough times with my 06 Sierra (Same Truck), I spent tons of money in 4 years on front end problems, mostly steering related. From the research I have done if I was to purchase another GM truck it would be lifted with a steering knuckle lift. This relates to the method used to lift the front end. Fabtech has a great knuckle lift for GMC trucks, there is another company, but I'm having a hard time finding it. I think it's called Cognitive Industries, they make the best lift for GM trucks, it addresses ALL the problems thows trucks have with steering and independent suspension. Most people will not see the problems I did unless you tow 3K# plus on a regular basis 60% of my miles where with a boat in tow ranging from 2500# to 4500#s. Stay away from fulltraction lifts, they such and so does their customer service. Look into any extras offered by the MFG that relate to steering or steering related parts, they are very much worth the initial cost. 1st trip to get a part replaced will cost more then upgrading in the begining.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-06-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
BTW I drove my GM an average of 20K miles a year for the 4 years I had it. It was my daily driver and I loved it aside from the problems with the front end. I have a different opinion then Brad. The lift did not ride any different then factory, but that differs depending on your rim and tire config. I first had 18" rims with 33" X12.5 tires and the truck road great, then went to 20" on 35x13.5 tires and that changed alot. A little more feeling of the road , and the 13.5" wide tires tend to follow every grove in the road. Truck would almost pick it's own path down the road. Either way it's the cost of riding in style, I am not discoraged from lifted truck, just picked up an 05 Excursion and it has a 4" with 35X13.5 R20. The truck follows the road just like the GM used to. But the trade off is ride'n high with a full view of on road in every direction.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
If you get big tires, you will probably want to regear the ass end too.

I thought about a small lift with some bigger tires, but I really like the way my truck rides on the highway and that's where I do my hauling and road tripping.
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-06-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
Take a look over at Dieselplace.com it is a site dedicated to your truck. You will get a lot more advice over there.
Old     (rideon)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-06-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Johnny is talking about cognito motorsports. I had one of the cognito kits on a 02 2500 hd. Very strong lift, but the GM ifs junk is responsible for me owning a Dodge now. Upload
Old     (gregholloway)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
8" Fabtech 37" Mud Grappler's! Strongly recommend the lift, not so much the tires though! Rough and extrememly loud!
Old     (azwakbdr)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-06-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
All awesome advise, this is exactly what I am looking for, thank you all! :-)
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-06-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
33's are a good trade off in my opinion.Not so big that they ruin your power but big enough to get the job done.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-06-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
Why not just change the gearing? A ring and pinion swap will solve all your power loss problems...
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-06-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
If you haul a lot which it sounds like you do. HIGHLY recommend putting some Heavy duty airbags on the back, it will save you some pain and help keep the nose of the truck down with that 30 footer. My opinion from experience.
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2009, 8:54 PM Reply   
Cognito. Go to dieselplace.com for much much more information.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-06-2009, 10:22 PM Reply   
Best lift? Cognito......

Here's a couple 2500HD's that I owned. The first one is just leveled with 33" Toyo's, 20X10 Eagle wheels, the second one is a 7" Cognito lift with 18X10's, and 37" Toyo's.

Upload
Upload
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-07-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
I have been selling lift kits for 15 years. If you have a GM IFS you are going to have to replace tie rods, idlers arms and pitman arms at some point in time lifted or not. Stock they will last longer then lifted but since 88 when they started that suspension they have been known for there weak steering. You cannot beat the ride of a GM but if you are going to use it offroad straight axle it or buy a Ford or Dodge. I have owned many GM's and have ran almost every lift out there, I sell a ton of Fabtech just because they do have a good kit and they have the name recognition. I am getting ready to lift my wife's HD and we are running the Cognito kit on it. There are only a few bad kits out there so it really just depends on what look you are going for some will work better then others.