Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
I'm a new boat owner with zero waxing experience. The boat looks fairly decent right now, so I don't think it needs a super hardcore complete makeover.

A lot of the waxing advice I'm seeing in other threads talk a lot about surface preparation, sanding, polishing, using powered orbital buffers, etc. Right now I don't have a powered orbital buffer, and I'm not sure I really need one at this point. I also don't have the time to remove all the hardware in my boat and follow a 6-step 2-week process of sanding, polishing, etc. However, I would like to do the best job that I can by hand in no more time than half a day.

Right now I have Boat Bling's Hot Sauce for cleaning the exterior of the boat, and I know they make a wax product that's supposed to be very easy to spray on and wipe in/off by hand (though the downside is that it doesn't seem to last very long). What else might be worth doing in between the cleaning and waxing? Is there some kind of sanding compound or polish or oxidation remover or anything along those lines that can be applied relatively quickly by hand? What about the "cleaner wax" I've seen mentioned in other threads? Can that be done by hand? Is it used instead of regular wax or in addition? Any other recommendations for a wax that can be applied by hand but might be a little longer lasting than Boat Bling's?
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-13-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
Harbor freight $19!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-13-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
If you have oxidation,you will need to use compound or polish with a rotary buffer to do it right.An orbital will work for up keep and light maintenance,but oxidation and scratches require an orbital buffer. Doing it by hand will take longer.Nothing quick about taking care of gelcoat unless it's already been detailed and you maintain it.
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       05-13-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
Most people have cordless drills these days, if so just get a Mother's power ball at any auto store. Works great.
Old     (jzelt)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-17-2013, 11:24 AM Reply   
I just use a $20 orbital. I apply the wax by hand, use the orbital to take 90% of it off, and do the rest by hand. Much more refreshed for spending time on detailing, than taking the majority of the wax off.
I use Meguires Caranuba and 3M Cleaner for slightly oxidized (not entire boat area).
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-20-2013, 10:48 PM Reply   
a wax that will hold up great, and can be easily applied by hand, would imo be collinite. It is what I use for my boat, it is incredibly price friendly, and a very popular choice. Even though I have a porter cable 7424 orbital, I usually still apply/remove by hand.

http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/ - paste wax, will give you better durability
this has one multiple awards for best marine wax, also what I use

http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/insulator-wax/ - liquid wax, will be easier to apply.

these are both GREAT waxes for your boat, and again, the price cant be beat.

read up a bit on those two, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-21-2013, 12:29 AM Reply   
A coat of Boat Bling Quickie Sauce should last about 8-12 weeks of relatively heavy summer use which is about twice as long as typical automotive carnubas. We prefer synthetic polymers over carnuba for use on gelcoat for a number of reasons. Most importantly longevity in a marine environment and secondly the issue of low grade carnuba wax's tendency to oxidize and yellow over time. You also can't go wrong with Collinite paste wax.

Typically carnubas will leave a slightly glossier finish due to their oil base but polymers last much longer and offer greater UV protection.

Just a few thoughts but of you have any other questions on Boat Bling products feel free to reach out to me directly. Thank you for your business on the Hot Sauce!!!

zack@boatbling.net
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-21-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
Won* multiple awards. One should never forget to proofread when using an apple product

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.