Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-25-2007, 11:57 PM Reply   
We keep out Boat on a lift and it's covered when were not at the river. Recently the covers become pretty dirty from people throwing it on the dock and in the yard when we take the boat out. What's the best way to get it clean for when we winterize the boat?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-27-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Take it to a car wash and use the high pressure sprayer. However, you don't have to get to close to it when spraying it.

When I lived in Hawaii and had my boat stored down by pearl harbor, I used to take the cover home and lay it out in the driveway and use a broom, soap, water and scrub it down. Then hang it up and let it dry. When it was dry, I used about 6-7 cans of scotchguard on it and it made a huge difference!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-27-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Here is what I've done with mine in the past.

Take it to a coin laundry (because of the industrial size machines) and run it through a cycle with a bottle of Nikwax Tech Wash, or similar soar safe for waterproof material, available at somewhere like www.rei.com.

hang it out to dry.

When dry, lay it out upside down and give it a liberal spraying with something like 303's fabric guard/waterproofer. I buy the gallon jug and use a clean pump-up garden sprayer.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-29-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
I've used both methods above and they both worked ok.

What ever you do, don't put it in the dryer! Mine now fits my fishing boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-29-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
"What ever you do, don't put it in the dryer! Mine now fits my fishing boat."

D'Oh, man that sux.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
You can put it in the dryer, just put it on cool instead of heat goofball.

I run mine through a laundry mat two or three times a year with great results. I also use the rei silicone based repellent that comes in a spray can. The cover always looks brand new after going through this process.