Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
I'm looking for a good v drive cross over boat. I'm more of a skier and not that worry about a huge wake. Sold the nautique needed more room.
Which would you choose?
07/06 Moomba Outback V (warranty) good price and dealer
00-02 Mastercraft X Star fair price ok dealer
00-02 Correct craft Super sport fair price and good dealer
00-02 Malibu Wakesetter fair price ok dealer
There is also a Sanger, Supra and Centurion dealers around just don't have the boats or info. Tell me what you think and whats for sell in the area.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-01-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
If you want a new boat with great build quality, check out a Sanger. They are a great "water sport boats”.

All V-Drive Sanger boats are extremely versatile for water sports, but great at them all.

Just check them out. Take a demo ride. I’m willing to bet you will be very impressed with everything about them, including the price.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-01-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
06 outback v I think its the best for cross over boats, small wake for skiing and great for boarding when loaded up, got mine for 35,9 from Active Water Sports, great guys down there, cant go wrong.
Upload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-01-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Hey Brett,
jump on pdxwake.com. there are a bunch of us locals on there and very familiar with all the dealers. A couple of us have boats for sale too. Mine is not listed on there, but is for sale. Supra 21V. More of a wakeboard boat than a crossover. There is another guy I know selling a Direct drive Supra launch that is definitely a cross over. Truth is you can't find a bad boat anymore. The dealer is quite important as you are probably realizing. Especially around here. Good luck and jump on www.pdxwake.com and introduce yourself and you should get some help on local stuff.
Old     (air_warrior)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hey Brett, are you skiing short line? If you are I really don't think there's any V-Drive boat that will do you justice as compared to a direct drive. However you mention you needed more room in the boat. Take a look at the Centurion Elite V, nice boat, not in the same class category as the MC or CC. I agree with Charlie too and that Sanger has a great boat ... used to have one. My top three choices for you would be 1) CC, 2) Mastercraft, 3)Sanger, 4)Centurion/Moomba,etc. If you're not skiing 28 off or better I think your choice really becomes one of 1) dealer customer service, 2)price/performance. Good luck and let us know what you get!
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
Ahh boat buying portland. Let the good times begin. There are only three brands to consider buying in portland based on dealer interaction alone. I really would only consider dealing with active water sports, the nautique dealer, Toby @ Salem Watersports is great and really goes the extra mile. Don't know much about the centurion dealer so I am not omitting them on purpose. Don't know much about the Tige dealer but have not heard anything negative. Really as far as the other big two you are noticing absent here, there is a MAJOR reason why. Feel free to PM me if you would like further explanation.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-01-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
go with the malubu or the Master craft direct drive`s (inboard). Stay with a used you get a lot more for your $$ If your at least half way compident with a wrench in your hand than go with a private seller. Who cares about dealer service if you can do your own maintaince & repairs.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
wow phillip, that is some really sound advice. Yea, screw the local dealer and whatever it is that they stand for or their reputation is. It doesn't matter. Are you for real?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-06-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
I purchased from the Malibu dealer on Wilsonville and have only good things to say about them.
MC, I would stay away from all used boats he sells.
AWS, don't like the boats but is has top notch service and people.
CC, ok when where looking.
Salem Water Sports wasn't impressed
Tige dealer now that they have a new GM in the boat section I might consider it. The new guy is from Salem Watersports.

Bryan if you read it what Phillip is saying seems pretty smart to me. As soon as my warranty is up I'll do everything to my VLX period. All the boats he asked about other than AWS boat are out of warranty. So really who care about the dealer? If it where me buying one of those boats it would never see the dealer again once I drove it off the lot. Then again I wouldn't buy a used boat from a dealer. Private party is the way to go in my mind when buying used.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-06-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
Ditto Phillip & face planter.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
I guess we are just speaking from a little different perspective here on this issue. I don't keep a boat long enough to keep it past the warranty period. The original response was my opinion on local dealers. I personally don't mind a used boat but not one more than a year old. I think it's great it you want and can do the work yourself. I choose not to and instead spend my time on other things. Hell, I don't even do my own grocery shopping. I am all about enjoying life and paying to have the little things taken care of. Best of luck with your purchase.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
We do however completely agree that the local MC dealer is a definate one to stay away from no matter how good the boat is or the deal might seem. Man the stories you hear about that topic.
Old     (shoulin)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
why are you guys bashing portland ski boats what are some problems you have had.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
I would say that is a conversation best discussed over PM as I had some seriously unplesent interation with them after purchasing a competing product.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-06-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
Portland also has FFMC watersports and they sell Calabrias and the new 06 are off the hook inside and out. Go talk to Grady
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-08-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Bryan, that's great you're loaded and have people grocery shop for you and whatnot, but he was clearly asking about used boats except for the Moomba in the first post.

I also have found that new boats usually spend more time in the shop in the first 50-100 hrs of their life than they do in the next 1000 hrs.

I see you also finally decided on which boat to buy, nice choice.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-08-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
hey trace, why don't you keep your snotty comments to yourself. I was just stating the fact that I place more value on time than I do on money. i could be the brokest guy around and just choose to spend money on those things becuase that is that I want to do. Your post would have been the same whether you took the time to take a cheap shot at me or not. If you ask me I can't understand what you are doing on a post about the happenings in portland when you don't even live here or know anything about it.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-08-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Bryan, is your boat still for sale??
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-08-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
no I sold mine for the winter. I will figure out the next one in the spring.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-08-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
If you still like to ski most of the time you could look at an 01 wakesetter VLX because that year all VLX's were made on the diamond hull which creates more lift in the rear and makes exceptional skiing wakes. The boarding wakes won't be as good as the wakesetter (vride/iride) wake hull, but with the wedge, and ballast it will still kick up a nice wake.

My friend has an 01 sunsetter vlx (same as the 01 wakesetter hull) and he runs 2-400lb sacks in the vdrive lockers and 1-500lb sack in the ski locker...sometimes he throws another 300lb. sack in the bow and the wake IMO is just as good as my friends 03 wakesetter with stock ballast + wedge (it just has more lip cause the wedge and we can get more height cause of it)

I am not going to bash BCWS, but I have had problems with them in the past and so has my friend....but there are plenty of people that I know who had good things to say about them too.

I am a die hard malibu fan, but I have heard nothing but great things about AWS and I go through them to get all my wakeboarding gear...if only they sold malibu's
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-08-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
Fair enough, but your comment to Phillip came across a little snotty as well.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-09-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
Patrick, I think only the 01 Sunsetter VLX was on the diamond hull; WS got the non-diamond.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=hulls#2001
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-09-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
Trace, I believe thats a misprint, but I will check!