Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    norcal5150            09-13-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
I just bought a Pro Shop and the shop currently caries Hyperlite and Gator Boards.... I am going to keep Hyperlite for abvious reasons, but I considering bringing in CWB instead of Gator..... Just wanted to see what everybody thought?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
I think CWB is gaining market share quick. Sounds like a smart move to me. Three years ago, no one rode CWB. Now half or more riders I know are all about CWB.

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-13-2005, 5:39 PM Reply   
What J-Rod said.
Old    grant_davis            09-13-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
I have a GB now but im going to swich next season. I do not like the Edge of the GB
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
Definetly pick up CWB no questions ask. You might even want to pick up Liquid Force as well.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-13-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
exactly what J-rod said. CWB will be up there right next to hyperlite, just give it a little time. There 06 line is killer, and there innovations/technology is advancing fast. Go with CWB.
Old    dahui            09-13-2005, 7:24 PM Reply   
You really cant go wrong with the CWB board and LF binding line up.
Old    tcboarder            09-13-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
I would say keep gator, there line for 06 is gonna be rad its gonna top the LF bindings and there boards ride like nothing ive ever ridden before.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
I would say keep gator and bring in CWB also. Both of these companies are going to have awsome 06 years. My gal is also going to be opening a shop and we will also be handling CWB and gator.
Old    waterdog2            09-13-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
CWB, no brainer!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Josh, I own a shop and I agree with Squid Keep what you got and ad Cwb, if you cant have all three I would say Hyperlite, CWB. The 06 Cwb line is sick and you will sell alot of it, My last two years with Cwb has been real good, and their customer service has be as good as it gets! I have had 0 unhappy cwb buyers!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-14-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
Squid your opening a shop? Hook it up. I need new bindings.
Old    norcal5150            09-14-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the imput guys..... Looks like I am going to Bring in CWB and possibly even hold on to Gator too..... Liquid force is out of the qestion unfortantuly because there is another local shop that carries them and I don't want to step on any toes.... Thanks again guys.....

Josh
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Best to ya Josh, best of luck to ya on youre shop, get ready for alot of fun times their is nothing better than the sport of wakeboarding.
Old    norcal5150            09-14-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff!!!! I absolutly love the sport and look foward to all the fun times..... Thanks again....
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-14-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
Josh, I am a business man myself and both of my children just happen to ride for Gator. Logic says that a smart business man would check out all the 06 product for himself before he jumps to conclusion about what a few people might say on the internet. All I can say is check out the new product from Gator this year and I think you will be very impressed.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-14-2005, 8:05 PM Reply   
I have to say that both 2006 lines are quite impressive. Surf expo will give you a better idea as to what will work for your shop. I say carry both. You might be surprised.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
I ride CWB but have tried the Gator boards. IMO I would try to carry as many brands as I could. Every rider is different. What works for one does not for another. The more options the better you can fit your riders. I hate when I have gone to shops that only carry one/two brands and they down other peoples line of products. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-17-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
MY BOYS ARE GATOR BOYS, so i have to say go with them also! I would try and have all three, like it was said in earlier post. Supply and demand, gator boards on on there way up as well is CWB. MAKE UR MONEY WITH ALL THREE!!!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-17-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
So much about a copmpany is reputation and CWB definately has a great one. Also CM is one of the best reps i have ever met.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-17-2005, 11:55 PM Reply   
If I had to choose, I would choose CWB. They're much more appealing to a wider demographic.
Old    vandal            09-18-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
CWB is possibly the biggest underachiever of all time. They have been around for more than a decade now they have never shown anything other than moderately (at best) performing boards that have a large amount of warranty issues and bull-sh*t bindings. GB may not be the save-all for wakeboarding, but in the short time they have been in business they have shown progression, innovation and a solid commitment to being a company for the riders, not just the big-bank.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-18-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
innovation?
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-18-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
thats not a very fair statement becuase IMO the design of gator boards are still miles behind...HL, LF and CWB....they are the big 3 and are still making the biggest strides in the sport....just look at the hinge tech, closed toe bindings, and LF's new board line up....way more innovative than gator...im not sayin gator isnt growing but its still young....
Old    vandal            09-18-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
remeber full-tilt with their closed toe binding? they went over really well didnt they? wow, LF is really pushing the envelope huh?
Old     (melan_mobe)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-18-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
gimmicks, gimmicks, gimmicks... Go with the GB, good products, rider owned...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
"CWB is possibly the biggest underachiever of all time."

I think you need to pay more attention to what is going on.

Show me one GB board that demonstrates innovation.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
"Rider owned" is a bout the best thing I can say for GB. That is something I can support. If they ever make something new and cool, I would serve it.
Old    vandal            09-18-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
J-Rod, out of all the people posting in this particular thread, I respect you the most so I wont go into any flaming. I said GB is innovative. Think on a larger scale of what they are doing as a whole company, who it is, what they represent and who Gator is taking on in the industry. There is your innovation. I didnt mean with a singular focus on their boards or bindings. I do pay attention to what is going on, listen to dealer feedback I get in this area and what equuipment local and regional riders use and give feedback to. CBW has been dropped by more dealers and has received more complaints and warranty claims than any other brand I have come across.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Sorry Vandal. No disrespect. And thank you.

In our area, it's the opposite. CWB is very well supported by dealers and especially by CM Slocum (the local rep). CWB continues to sign local talent, like Kevin Bird and Derek Conway. My local dealer gave up on GB last year when they couldn't deliver product, but I know a lot has changed in a year. I know guys that jumped on CWB this year just because they respect CM.

I would like to support the rider-owned companies, but I like supporting the local rep and shops too. Plus, CWB does have new, cutting edge products every year.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2005, 6:29 PM Reply   
I wonder if this is the same CWB rep that I crossed paths with in a Sacramento gas station a few years back who, upon seeing my HL shirt said "Herb O'brien is nothing more than a drug pusher". Some people just can't let the past go.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
I could be wrong but I don't think CM has been doing it that long. I think he has only been in the scene a year or two.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-18-2005, 11:16 PM Reply   
i dunno what it is but if your selling lots of boards and on top u must be hated (ie: the big 3)....pusher or not hes sellin the most boards
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-19-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Vandal "CWB...warranty claims than any other brand I have come across." I don't know about that, Its hard to beat LF.

One thing I do know is that my 04' Harris is a tank! In more ways than one! I am 250lbs and I brake alot of boards. Last year I rode HL for a short time and broke 2 boards. Got on a Harris and it still together. But the only bad thing is, It's about 50lbs!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
HAhaha.....I don't doubt the Harris board is tough. If that board had a problem with breaking, Randall would break a few everytime he rode.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-19-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Sparky, CM is definately not the rep you met CM has only been in california about 9 months or a year.
Also Vandal i agree with what your saying about the innovation part of GB. But i think that innovation on product should be first and foremost.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-19-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
I just don't really see GB's innovation. The Gonzalez is based off a Premier/Era and the Harris is an old Thruster shape(granted it's what Randy likes to ride. Gator & Wes' shapes are original for sure. You say rider owned and that they are trying to compete against the big three. I disagree. Gator's dad gives him $ to keep the company afloat and never have they turned a profit. They don't compete, they have been losing the competition since day one and don't need to win to keep making boards. You guys gotta remember that Gator is freaking rich and doesn't have to make $. This is his hobby not his livelihood. Innovation in terms of who they support, yeah great a different image thats nice. Gerry Nunn is on their team, I like his image, seems like a nice guy. I'm ranting and I apologize.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-19-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
Gator is rich for shure but it just takes awhile to turn a profit when youre board company is new,and youre competing with the big boys who have been there since day one, even Liquid Force had money problems a couple years back and if Iam not mistaken they were bought out by Hyperlite(HO), and thats why they are still around. But it seems to me that Gator is growing every year, I hear more and more good things about Gator and hope they can hang in there, they are always out at the comps supporting wakeboarding and they are signing good Riders and that is good for the sport. Keep on Keepin on Gator.
Old    norcal5150            09-19-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have Decided to keep Gator and also plan to bring in CWB as a 3rd company...... So for 06 I will be carrying HL, GB, and CWB

Josh Smith

Thanks everyone for all your input....
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-19-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
Doesn't get much better than that, good job Josh.
Old     (melan_mobe)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-20-2005, 3:11 AM Reply   
Nice decision in the end. Going back to the "Gonzalez being copied of the Era/old Premier" I think you will find the original Premier was in fact an almost exact copy of an old Bad Ass board when Hyperlite first broght it out... GB acquired the same mold legally from Bad Ass which became the Gonzalez.
Also I dont see the problem with the design of the Harris not changing, he has obviously found a design and shape that suits his riding and has stuck by it, he must have a lot of confidence in this shape. Just because he hasnt come out with new little gimmicks every year doesnt mean its a bad product. People might not buy it because it doesnt have the latest 'technology' which seems to sell boards but its tried and tested and it works. Just my opinion.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-20-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
I rode an O'brien Harris, and it was sick. Really smooth. It was before I was used to riding finless. I want to try it again but the GB version is a tank.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-20-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
Just throwin' out whats going on here in Oklahoma.

We have had our new pro-shop open for the whole season now. When we first started we just had Gator. Guess what we still have Gator.
They have bee a good company for us and have been quite easy to work with. Every bodys arwa is diffrent though. We are the only people in Oklahoma carrying GB. So alot of people havn't evn heard of it. The thing alot of our people like re the graphics. I dont think any other company out there has the quality and the custom looks, like a Gator has.

As for inovation, we just got back from viewing the 2006 boards. Gator has the new G-Flow board. A great looking and performing board. It carries the water up from the bottom using a design copied from jet planes, when the suck air to keep their engines cool. The way the water runs will not only give better edging, but also give better stick on the landings and stability while riding at various speeds. Its something that kind of sounds cheesy and I didnt think it would work until I saw the board. Very awesome.

Also I have rode that old mold they use for the Gonzales board and it is still one of our top sellers. I also personnaly ride the Harris day in, day out and hope they never change the design on it. However they did change the degree of how the the fins are sitting this year.

Any way, I think we will be carrying Gator Boards in our shop for a long time to come.

Danny T.
WWW. OKC Board Shop .COM
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-20-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
I heard that Gator boards won "BUZZ BRAND" of the year at Surf Expo! I guess it's a new category which is classified as the hottest up and coming brand in the industry as chosen by shop owners of retailers across the US from a survey by Wakeboard mag.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-20-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
Wacko, I know, we all know that Hype stole it from Bad Ass. There is nothing wrong with Harris' shape being the same, hell it's been like that at three different companies. It's just not innovative.

"Buzz Brand" the most stoned brand at Expo.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-22-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
"Big Heavy (stephan) "Buzz Brand" the most stoned brand at Expo"

If you knew much about or hung out with GB your mind would be changed on that comment.

GB has one of the most with it sales teams, Designers and riders.

The "Buzz Brand" Was the best thing that could happen to a Rider owned company.

Everyone should Remember "Connelly Wake Boards/CWB" is a waterski owner and operated.

Shops should sell both.