Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-18-2011, 5:31 AM Reply   
So I am looking at both V rides and Wakesettter VlX's all right around 05... but for discussion purpose, lets talk specifically 05. Of course I am finding V rides for significantly less $$ than wakesetters. For a V ride (if it doesnt already have it), I am figuring rear ballast and perfect pass into the price right up front. Most V rides I have seen have the Manual wedge. V ride being SV23 and wakesetter being V25 hull.

SO.... The wakesetter definantly has its advantages... but... is it worth it? Wake wise? options I am gonna want that I cant duplicate on the v ride?

Please chime in if you have input about these 2 boats and their differences....

Last edited by brycejb328; 10-18-2011 at 5:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-18-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
If I remember correctly the V-Ride is the old VLX hull and the VLX in '05 was a wider and generally larger boat, with a all-new hull obviously. As far as difference, I was looking at an '06 V-Ride a couple of years ago that had all the trimmings (tandem trailer, chromed out, MLS, Illusion X, tower speakers, lights, etc) and I thought it was an extremely high quality boat for the price. Sitting in both a V-Ride and a Wakesetter I struggled to notice a diminished quality from one to the other, the Wakesetter was simply a little bigger. I'm sure some V-Ride's that aren't as blinged out would be much more noticeable but I was, overall, impressed with the V-Ride I looked at.

I can't attest to the wake on the Wakesetter, I've rode behind both but it was a while back and I can't remember the differences. I would assume that perfect pass was standard on the V-Ride? I don't remember seeing one that DIDN'T have PP.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
The V-Ride thumps more when you go over chop or rollers. If run where it's rough that is a big difference.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-18-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
IMHO, the 05 V-Ride (02-04 VLX) was a much better hull than the 05 Wakesetter. Loaded down, that hull chine locked like a mutha!
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-18-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
05 and after wakesetter have wider beam, little higher gunwale and slightly wider wake. 05-08 vride = pre 05 wakesetter. vrides come with speed control, manual wedge (floating wedge starting 07) and 500 lb midship ballast stock. The rear ballast are optional. My 08 vride did not come with rear ballast and I added 400lb plumbed sacks. Wake is everything I will ever need probably, but in 4-5 years we'll probably upgrade for a larger boat as our family is growing.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-18-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
The VLX is one of the best wakeboard wakes that I have ever ridden. I currently own an 05 Wakesetter VLX( for sale in the classified BTW) and have enjoyed them alot. I used to own an 02 VLX that my best friend ended up buying from me which im pretty sure its the Vride hull. That was a great boat as is the 05. The wakes are different IMO. The older VLX(Vride) was a more Narrow wake. The wake on my 05 VLX is the same wake just wider because the boat is a bit wider. One thing that a VLX will usually have in it is the front Ballast which was a huge addition that helps out alot compared to not having any or just the three tanks. The problem that we constantly had with the 02 VLX was that you had to use bags or lead up front which took away from seating room for passengers. The Quad ballast in the 05 made a huge difference in wake and saved space. The Quad ballast also allows for you to be able use the stock ballast and the wedge and the wake is awesome. Add two bags to the rear and the wake is even better. Im not sure if an 06 Vride came with the Quad ballast or not.

As far as surfing, with MY 05 VLX using the stock ballast and the wedge I was able to have a great all around surf wake.

If you ask me I would get a VLX over a Vride any day Also another factor to throw in there is that a Vride has the older style interior. The VLX is going to have the style newer interior for that year and a more of a blinged out feel I guess you could say. I will say that the older Malibu’s are in no way close to how blinged out the newer 2001 or 2012 Malibu.

Overall you really can't go wrong with either boats it’s just a matter of what you are wanting to buy. Hope this helps you out some. Let me know if you need and more questions answered.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-18-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Check out this thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784250

I own a 2008 vlx and formerly owned a 2006 vride. I have quite a bit of input with pics and video links on the two boats in that thread that i think you will find helpful.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
if your only concern is the wake, go with the v-ride. I owned an 02 VLX (which is the same hull as the 05 v ride) and it was solid. I never added any weight other than for surfing. And wakeboarding wise, IMO, it was perfect as is with stock ballast and wedge. Because the 05 VLX was a slightly bigger hull, the wake does change a bit, i agree with the above post about a wider wake, but not that much different IMO. Why do I say go v-ride? Well, as you said in your original post, the VLX can run pricier, so if wake is your #1 concern, go v-ride, save the extra coin, and throw a sac in the lockers or nose if you really want(or just throw ten chicks in the boat with you). If you want a little extra bling, go VLX.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-18-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
Yes the Vride of those years is the old vlx wakesetter hull. Our vride had all the options (pp, mls center & rear ballast, manual wedge, titan tower, upgraded package steering wheel/throttle knob). Had a 05' w/ 126 hours we bought for 31k in mint shape last summer.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-18-2011, 3:03 PM Reply   
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-18-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
Dang.. 31k is a deal with those options. did it come on the tandem trailer?

I am looking at a 05 V ride w/ 290 hours. Manual wedge, center and rear MLS (stock ballast). I would say for a "normal" boater it is in good condition for the year. 2 gel gouges about a inch or 2 long on the whole boat. Didnt see any interior rips. Nothing fancy as far as audio. Its on a single axel trailer. I am thinking of offering the guy $25k.. hes asking $28k.

So the input seems mixed.. general consensus being that they are BOTH good... just some more bling and options with the wakesetter VLX....
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-18-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
Dang.. 31k is a deal with those options. did it come on the tandem trailer?

I am looking at a 05 V ride w/ 290 hours. Manual wedge, center and rear MLS (stock ballast). I would say for a "normal" boater it is in good condition for the year. 2 gel gouges about a inch or 2 long on the whole boat. Didnt see any interior rips. Nothing fancy as far as audio. Its on a single axel trailer. I am thinking of offering the guy $25k.. hes asking $28k.

So the input seems mixed.. general consensus being that they are BOTH good... just some more bling and options with the wakesetter VLX....
Yes it came with that tandem trailer. The boat was on consignment for $35k and the owner of the boat had originally bought it and his kids moved away last yr. So it didnt have any takers at $35k so threw the dealer the $31k figure and the guy took it. I actually liked the wakesetter tower better but there has been several complaints and I had over a dozen guys on malibucrew.com willing to trade for the titan tower. The earlier wakesetter and this vride hull were great and put off a nice wake. Had the 900 stock ballast + wedge.

I know these boats around here in FL this summer went for $29k
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-18-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
If you are looking for a vride there is an 05 or 06 low hour one with t3 tower for high $20's here in the northwest I saw on Craigslist.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-19-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Thta 05' V you're looking at has a mackin wake.. With some 550's in the back, an integrated sack up front and the wedge down it will be bomb.com for how we ride. I think you'd appreciate a narrower wake for where you're at with riding progression..

If you can sneak that thing for $25k - you won't find more for less.. Don't rush it though - it will still be for sale when you get back from Italy. If it's "the one" - go ahead. But don't rush it for the trip broski.

I like the rig. I think you would too... You've always been a "Malibu Guy", imo ;-)
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-19-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
If you are looking for a vride there is an 05 or 06 low hour one with t3 tower for high $20's here in the northwest I saw on Craigslist.
link?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-19-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
http://www.rentforfun.net/boats/mali...akeboard-boat/

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/2656714261.html

Looks like it's been rented (which would push the value down in my eyes), but still a pretty good deal.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-19-2011, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
link?
Dare I say this might be the best deal you'll see on one of these with so low hours? You can call up Bakes Marine to get service info on the boat if you get serious about it, it was bought from there based on the trailer it's sitting on.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/2651347351.html
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-19-2011, 5:47 PM Reply   
Also consider a 2004 Wakesetter VLX. Same Hull as the Vride, but comes with slightly nicer interior (vinyl, trim, etc), badges, paint scheme, etc.

Either boat you can't go wrong with. I have a 04 VLX, and the stock wake is plenty for anything anyone up to an intermediate would want.