Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-04-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
For those only using an ipod plugged into your equalizer, has anyone found a way to get am/fm radio signals? Important to have weather updates and sometimes rock the oldies.

I am installing my first inboard stereo soon and debating if I want to use a cd deck or just get a bigger five channel amp.

Thanks! I searched but didn't see many other threads from people just running the ipod and eq.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-04-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Has your phone got an FM tuner and a 3.5mm jack? Any small pocket size radio with a 3.5mm out jack will work...
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
look into the ws-420 eq, it has 2 input's so you could run your i-pod off one side and some kind of am/fm radio off the other side,,,, this eq is great for running your tower speakers and boat speakers... with out the cost of the cd player!!!!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-04-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Hate to say this Tony but a WS-420 is about double the price of a decent head unit that'll run an ipod. Hell i just picked up a Pioneer DEH-4000UIB for $150 new, runs ipod and usb thumb drives. I was considering it but couldn't justify the price.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-04-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
WS-420 may cost more. But a good EQ will make your system sound tons better. I'm running a Zapco SP4-SL and an IPod and it sound awesome. I always had problems with headunits going out in my boat so I got sick of it and removed it from the equation. No more problems and it sounds great. You can just get a small am/fm radio, If you get the ws-420 just run the IPod and the radio into the 2 inputs. If you use another EQ then just get a Y cable and turn the IPod off when you turn the radio on. Simple.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Razzman,
Yeah I know it's more. but it's so easy to control your system and it has a line driver in it.
I just think it's a good place to spend a little more money for how easy it is, You'll be happy every time you use it!!!
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-04-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
You can get the Clarion EQ im running for under $100 and it works great. If I wasnt on a budget id have bought the WS eq. Really no comparison between the flexibility the eq gives you over a HU.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-04-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Hey thanks guys!

I have looked at the WS420 but it is faaar out of my budget. I should have mentioned it's a budget stereo.

I am planning on getting the Clarion EQS746 for $50.

Hey Brit I guess I coulda posted this on my other thread hehe! Your solution is the simplest, to just get another small fm radio and plug it into the eq. If I want to run the radio and ipod I can get a splitter / y-adapter.

I guess I could use my phone too! It does have FM but no AM for sports. Oh well. Thanks all!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-04-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
i didnt know anyone still listened to radio any more. i thought that was a dead medium
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-04-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
Why dont you just put the oldies on the ipod and get a EQ? You can pick up an eq for around the same price as that crappy head unit. Wont be the best EQ but will be better than HU.

As for weather updates? Iphone? Crackberry?? etc. or any other web based phone? Lots of local weather stations have numbers to call for weather updates in your area.

Just a thought
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-05-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
Wake mikey I have that clarion and it has 2 inputs already. Be glad they are cheap because you will likely replace it within 2 years. Mine has devoloped some noise issuses with the sub gain. I'm just to broke to buy a ws420.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-05-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
Haha jason yeah I generally hate the radio, but weather for sudden storms and once and awhile oldies are fun. :-)

Newty thanks for the info. How do you store your boat? Mine is always on the lift under a canopy, then outside under cover in winter in MN.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Don't they make radio receivers that plug into your ipod?