Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-19-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hoping someone can help. My trailer tires on my Seadoo jet ski, loose about 2-3 lbs per month. They loose it quicker at the higher pressures, I inflate to 60psi per the specs. The karavan trailer is beginning its 3rd season.

Last year I had the issue where after checking the pressure on one tire, it would not stop loosing air out of the valve stem. The shop "tightened" the valve stem and it stopped leaking. However fast forward to this year and the same thing happens on one side. Though I am not sure if it is the same side. It does stop once I monkey with it for awhile.

Any ideas what is up with my tires, and are valve stems easily replaced without taking off the tire?

Thanks
Old     (woodsracer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-19-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
take them to a tire shop and have the valve stems replaced, it will probably cost you $20 or less.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-19-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Take them to a tire service shop, like Discount Tire or a similar store. You could either take the whole thing and they'll take them off for you or take the tire and wheel off yourself and bring them in. Ask them if they could put your whole inflated tire and wheel into a dunk tank (a tub full of water) and see where it bubbles. Where you see bubbles, you found your leak...

Sorry for the long explanation...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-19-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Next time you dunk it in the lake, check for bubbles. You can also spray with a soap solution. Just make sure to have a higher pressure in them. 60 psi?? Dang!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
Two or three pounds a month doesn't seem like a massive problem when you are talking about a 60 PSI tire. You can go all summer before you really have to air up again.

If it is leaking from the inside of the valve stem you can replace the cores yourself for a couple of bucks. Buy them at any auto parts store.

If it is leaking from spots unknown (that slow of a leak would probably not show noticable bubbles) you could try adding some sealant to the tire. You can buy this stuff that you squirt inside the tire: Remove the valve core, squirt the stuff in, replace valve core, inflate. I recommend driving around immediatly after so the goop evenly coats the inside.

Rod
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-19-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
If your valve stem is not leaking, you need to take that tire off the rim and have it inspected professionally. It you have a puncture on your inner liner, that tire will leak. the inner liner works like an old inner tube, holding the air within the tire. If you have a puncture and you continue to drive it, it will get wet from the water and can rust out the radials in your tire and then a blowout is certain, including trailer, and, or boat damage. Keep your tires maintained. They can make or break a trip!
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-19-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Wow great responses, maybe I just have to replace the cores. After I check the tires with a pressure gauge it does leak right out of the valve stem. Coming from the area where air normally goes in an out, but it just doesn't want to stop coming out right away. When the air comes out it is at such a velocity that the tire would be empty in a few minutes. That may also be the source of my slow leak, I hope. I guess I can deal with the slow leak, if that's all it is, but when it comes rushing out of the stem that is bad.

I did buy a spare, so at least I have one extra if something happens.