Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (identiti_rider)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
hi,
i need serious help with my back roll on a cable. i know how to do it but i just can't vizualise it/ get any height. its very frustrating.
thanks in advance.
also does anyone know of any cable only forums? thanks.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-09-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Don't worry about getting height. Carve the board so that your edge is forces up and around your body by the water passing beneath it. You should not be trying to jump and huck a flip. You should be edging the board so that the board flies up out of the water and goes around your body. Your handle is the pivot point. Keep it in tight to your body.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-09-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
at owc (the only time i've ridden a cable), the cable runs counter-clockwise and i noticed the only guy doing rolls was doing them on the corners where you can build up speed. but he was goofy, so it worked for him. how do you do it if you're regular-footed?
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-09-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
more or less under the cable should be your sweet spot for releasing the board. Maximum load on the line, virtually trying to stop the board at full tension. coming out of a corner is usually best for loading the line. If your not getting the height practice your edge and dont break at the waist. The problem you may have is the release from the water. I can almost do it behind a boat but have the letting go problem on landing but not tried on a cable. I have watched and had chats with many a rider doing rolls s bends and they all say the same and seem to throw the tricks the same. Your best bet is to sit and watch someone else on the cable? there are always someone that does them?

good luck leo
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-09-2003, 10:44 PM Reply   
Leo, Try them at one of the two farthest corners (I'm refering to whitecap), I know its a walk when you fall, but thats the place where you'll get the most speed.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-10-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
Christopher, do it right off the dock. You can really load the line as it wips you under the line.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
aha! nice matt. didn't think about that. well, if i ever make it out to a cable park again i'll have to try that.

guess i'll try it behind the boat. have almost gotten an air tantrum before, but haven't tried air tricks in quite some time now.
Old                03-02-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
I go to OWC like once a week and I barely ever see anyone do a roll off the cable. I see plenty of Raley's/S-Bends, etc.

I ride goofy, but can throw a TS backroll pretty easily off the cheese wedge at OWC. If you ride regular I'd imagine it wouldn't be too tough off the kicker. When I hit the ramp I kinda of just let the board slip out from underneath me and it naturally just swings me around.

But my point is that it should be easier to first land them off the ramps at OWC rather than off the cable.
Old                03-17-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
At the OWC, the best place to do it is in the front, almost right after you pass the booth and before the first tabletop. That's also the case at the Texas Ski Ranch.

Practicing them on the cable is like doing an air backroll behind a boat. You cut and load the line, then bring your shoulders forward with the release. Release forward and re-direct the forward release to the right with your shoulders. The key is to get the release forward first before you slip, otherwise you will spin flat instead of inverted. I haven't landed any of these yet,but practiced them a lot in the beginning when I was first learning a backroll.