Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-01-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
below is an email I got a few min's ago. lets help this guy out! i'll try to get a ship to address and post it here.

To Whom It May Concern: 1 October 2007

I am writing this to you, because I’m operating on limited resources and trying to get a group of soldiers and sailors the opportunity to improve their quality of life. I am stationed in Guantanamo Bay Cuba as part of the Joint Task Force conducting Detention Operations in the Global War on Terrorism.

A few months ago there was a group of wake boarders (including Andrew Adkison and Zane Schwenk) that came down here for a demonstration through MWR with a Maser Craft Wake Boarding Boat. I didn’t get to meet them, but I went to one of their shows and was completely awed by the skill and determination of these professionals. Their graceful acrobatics and brutal bails inspired me to try and get into the sport. For the last couple of months, I’ve been going out and renting old speed boats and building a small group of people who are really into giving it a shot. We’ve built up quite an interest in the sport, and each weekend we push each other to try more and more tricks.

Our only problem is that the equipment they have here to rent, leaves a lot to be desired. There is only one board that has both nose and tail fins, but it has some weird Velcro straps made out of wet suit material. The other board they have is missing the nose fine, and the bindings aren’t even operable, if it doesn’t fit we’re out of luck (especially when the one functional board is already rented). I haven’t been able to find any non-stretch rope to use, and all of their handles are inter-changeable and the grip is almost completely gone.

It is very difficult for us to find quality equipment for affordable prices. Many of us are lower enlisted service members deployed on our first tour of duty, and trying to support two households can quickly become a financial burden. We are all asking for a little bit of assistance to help make the time that we have to be away from our families a little more enjoyable.

If you can offer any discounts to us, I have a few people willing to split the costs with me, so we can share high quality equipment instead of renting items that aren’t really worth the effort. If you are gracious enough to donate any items to the troopers of JTF-GTMO, you can mail them to:

JTF-GTMO CHAPLAIN SECTION

PFC DANIEL ANDREWS

APO-AE 09360

Anything you are able to do to help us is greatly appreciated. I thank you for your kindness and you consideration. Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

PFC DANIEL ANDREWS

BN CHAPLAIN ASSISTANT

525th MP BATTALION - GTMO

DSN: 660-3644

COM: 011-5399-3644
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-01-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
emailed a few ties to the guy...i am a dumba$$ for not seeing the ship to in the letter. Im sending a wakeskate.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Here are the bindings I just got, if you can fit med and they are only $120 shipped brand new from a reputable dealer. You and your buddies should be able to split something in this price range and if you check the 05 parks reviews here on WW youll see they are as good or better then most.
http://www.grizzly-sports.com/details.php?id=00077
You should check ebay also as many good deals have been had on there just check the sellers feedback before bidding.
Good luck
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-02-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
I asked about paying for shipping. I am sending my wakeskate to him COD via Lynxs. see below...

"Paying for the shipping shouldn't be a problem, I've Cc'd a few of the guy's
that are going out with me. Together we should be able to make everything
work out. There's only two way's to receive boxes down here; through the
regular USPS, or through Lynx Air out of Fort Lauderdale, FL. The US Postal
Service is the cheapest, but for a few bucks more COD on our end Lynx is by
far the quickest."
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-03-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
I'm just keeping this in ur thoughts...and on top
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-05-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
there are a few of you that bucked up, and im sure it will make these guys stoked! if you have any goods...send 'um on down. I think they still need a pair of XL bindings...
Old     (jackblodgett)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-05-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
Daniel,
what's up, I was on that trip this summer, I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up with you. We had a great time though, I have traveled all over but that trip was one of the best. It was really cool to meet everyone there and they took really good care of us. Have you been surfing much? The waves were not that big, but it was fun! Anyways, I'll send some of my boards and bindings down for you guys. Our video that we were filming during that time for Oakley is going to be out November 10th so I will send a bunch of copies to MWR for you guys too. Thanks for the support. hit me up if there is anything else you need, jack@jackblodgett.com