Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-31-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
My job is relocating me from Denver to Houston. I would like to live on or very near a lake (public or private). Can anyone give me some suggestions? My office is on the northside of town I-45 and Beltway 8. Here's what I've found so far:

Conroe
Houston
Thousand Oaks
Indigo

Any others? Any insight about these lakes?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-31-2011, 6:14 PM Reply   
The public lakes aren't that great.....most go to the river to ride. I lived there for 6 months and rented a place at the Lakes of Katy. It was pretty easy to get to know people and find pulls.

http://www.princetonlakes.com/lok.php

PM me if you want the email address of the person that hooked me up with a rental in there.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-01-2011, 6:38 AM Reply   
Go post over at gcwa.com, it's the local wakeboarding forum for the greater houston area, and you'll get lots of good advice.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
"northside of town I-45 and Beltway 8" - unequivocally Lake Houston if you are a serious rider. If your the party cove type then Conroe for sure.

In this ridiculous drought its hard tell you Lake Houston since no one is able to ride the river. But essentially we ride the Upper San Jacinto that feeds L. Houston. You can find a house on the water that is about a 4-5min motor up the lake to the river (see map)

USJ is undeveloped and has natural dispersing banks. Its shallow in spots, and stumpy in spots, you have to know where to drive it. But besides the Trinity river (in Huntsville) its the only decent spot on the north side. And FYI the Trinity river is the best spot in Texas, if you can swing it.

I dont know anything about Thousand Oaks. And the only thing i know about Indigo is its short, shallow, and bulk headed
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-01-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
The wind and draught has made riding in Houston very tough lately.

I have been riding Salt-water only this year.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-01-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
ben. what about riding in the lake part of lake houston? how is it? are there many underwater hazards?
Old     (lukbecker)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-01-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
You could always post up a little south and be close the the new Wake Nation cable.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-02-2011, 6:15 AM Reply   
John, main lake is like any other bulkhead lake. I've never had to use the main lake. I hear its ok by skiers cove, but i'd imagine you'd have to get out there at the arse crack of dawn to get something smooth. Although, the lake is so low that the water doesn't even touch the bulkheads in some spots, so it might actually be do able. I was going to try it this weekend. i'll let ya know.

lukbecker, we're headed to Wake Nation saturday. Def cant wait to go hurl myself around. its been a while.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-02-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
so when people talk about goin to the san jacinto, is that where they are talking about... above lake houston?
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-02-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
yeah UpperSJ is North of L. Houston and LowerSJ is South of L. Houston dam
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-09-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
I am considering selling my house on Lake Houston very close the the USJ. 3 BR/ 3BA on the water with boat house/8500 lb lift set up for wakeboat. PM me if interested.