Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (jiujitsuabs)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-07-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
I know that a lot of people will think this is a dumb question, but why is the driver's seat on the right side of a boat instead of the left side like in automobiles?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-07-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
I've always heard it's to allow the driver to aid in docking the boat but I really have no idea if that's true or not.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-07-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
I have heard that and that it makes it so you can use the throttle with your right hand and have something to rest it on. There is also some BS about the vikings or something.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
what if the dock is on the left side?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-07-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
it might have to do with the fact that when you come into a dock, the tail end of an inboard drifts to the right. So it would help to put the driver on the right?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-07-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
It is tradition. The steerboard, the rudder, was on the right for the vikings, Egyptians, etc. With the technological improvements, the steering wheel stayed on the right for most applications. In Britian, and other British countries, cars also have the steering wheel on the right.

Some boats are center and some boats were left helm. Most follow tradition.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-07-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
In respose to malibuboarder75, not all boats drift to the right. I know that Nautiques drift to the left bc of the prop rotation. Malibu and MC drift to the right. Just little friendly knowledge
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
It has to do with the navigational rules of the road. The boat on the right has the right of way so you sit on the right so you can see to your right better. I think it also has something to do with the channel markers, but not 100% sure.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-07-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
actually, I believe that jet powered boats have the steering wheel on the left side, vs propped boats have the right side

Upload
Old    bocephus            03-07-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
I have had boats with the steering on either side.