Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-13-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
Well,

I purchased a new 08 BU last JAN. It came with a color matched Extreme Trailer. In September I was on my way out of Houston when one of the rear tires blew. Luckily I was on 610 and there was an NTB right there and they had a tire. Changed the tire and went on my way. During the blow out the fender was damaged and there was some major paint damage to the trailer. All the structural components remained undamaged.

After consulting a reputable shop about the tires that were on the trailer I found out that most of the tires were manufactured in late 2004 and the rest in early 2005. If that’s not enough the trailer was sold to me as a 2008 trailer brand new. In my mind I would figure that Extreme should replace my fender and repaint the trailer since the tire that they sold me with the trailer were old and defective and the blowout that damaged the tire was caused by the old dry rotted defective tires. Am I wrong to think this? Please advise.

Thanks
P
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Might have little or nothing to do with Extreme but your dealer. They may have had the trailer around & put that boat on it.

Have you talked to the dealer at all yet?

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on January 13, 2009)
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-13-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
I have been in discussion with the dealer. They ordered the trailer when they ordered the boat.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-13-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Also don't be so fast to blaim the dealer or trailer manufacturer. I know after the firestone recall. I saw a news piece on how tires can sit in warehouses or back shelves for years before it makes it to your rims.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Makes you wonder how long it takes to get from the tire manufacturers warehouse, to Extreme's warehouse, to Malibu's warehouse and then to the dealer. 4 yrs seems like a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a year or two.

What did the dealer say about that?

It's worth a phone call to Extreme.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-13-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
I am not sure who to blame right now. I do know that I paid alot of money for a trailer that was supposed to be new and it came with crappy tires. I would think that there should be some quality control somewhere along the line. I will say this I think that the dealer should have caught this and dealt with the trailer company before I received the trailer. However, the trailer should never have left the manufacturer with the old tires on it.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
I've had to deal with extreme on a warranty issue before, they were pretty cool about it. Just don't loose your cool and you may get pretty far with it. Overall it's your dealers responsibility to work this out with them. I actually had extreme send me the part and I fixed it myself, they even send me a check for my time. I'm not even kidding.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on January 13, 2009)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-13-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
When I got my boat about 4 years ago, It came with an Extreme Trailer. I had a blowout driving back from my break in service. The tires were a very cheap brand. The entire tread separated from the sidewall on one of the tires. It took quite a bit of time, but I was able to get reimbursed for 5 new Goodyears from Extreme. Have not had a single problem with the Goodyears.

Go get some good new tires to protect your 'investment' and work on getting the reimbursement with the peace of mind that you now have a good rolling trailer.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-13-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
I like nubu have had good dealing with extreme. I even fixed a recall on my trailer instead of going to the dealer and they paid me.

A blowout could happen from numerous things including a bad batch of tires. Just because tires are old doesn't mean they are no good. Do they have any noticeable cracks in them. I've had a brand new tire on my car trailer blow out the day after I bought it.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-13-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
There are a lot of things that go into a tire blowing. I have seen 10 year old tires on trailers that have never had a problems as well as seeing tires blow in the first week. Weather changes, your speed, a lot of things can cause them to blow.
Your dealer surely did a thorough inspection over the boat and trailer which they are required to do by malibu.
I have worked in a boat shop for 4 years and we have dealt with extreme a lot. They are a good company and great to work with. Contact them and see what they say.
Old     (markoranovich)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-13-2009, 11:10 PM Reply   
Jason, did you have the trailer break neck kit to install? And they paid you?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-14-2009, 4:20 AM Reply   
Preston,

"I am not sure who to blame right now"

I'm not neccessarily sure there is anyone to blame as such - Stuff happens. Tires blow,its a good thing no one was harmed and you were able to get it fixed up...

They tyre company may owe you a tyre if a warranty was implied but other than that I see no reason why this is Extremes problem; bad luck but not their fault so long as the tyre was at the right pressure and met the load rating required.

Just my 2 cents.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-14-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
How old are the tires on your vehicle? The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

If the date code is 8PY806. The 8PY is a manufacturing shift code, and the date the tire was actually made was 0806, which is the 8th week (08)in the year 2006 (06).
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-14-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
King,
This is the code to which I was referring to in the original post. Since I do not have the trailer with me right now I can not give you the exact numbers but I can tell you that some were made during the last weeks of 04 and the first weeks of 05

P
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-14-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
Mark it was some chrome plates that go on the swing away tongue. They even sent a special tool I used and then sent it back to them with the pictures of it installed. They paid the rate they would have to a dealership.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-14-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Update:

After a few threats Extreme finally decided that it would be cheapest for them to replace the damaged fender and repaint the trailer. Yea!!!
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-14-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Good to hear Preston, Extreme seems to handle these issues as good or better than anyone in the biz.

I just cut and pasted the above from a tire website....wasnt really asking you... just posting for everyone else.
Old     (markoranovich)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-14-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks Jason, because I am thinking that Extreme owe's me some $, since I too, did it myself. All I got was a lousy Tshirt. Hmm.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-14-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
If it makes you feel any better I didn't get a tshirt.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-14-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
Funny how you said about the tire blowing out. I had the same thing happen to me. We were going to Arizona and my rear left tire blew. Screwed up the fender. I called the dealership and they call the manufacturer. They did nothing for me. I went in and got all new tires for the trailer. When I went to pick it up, the guy told me that the tires were the crappiest tires he has ever seen and they were not even trailer rated tires.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-14-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
"not even trailer rated tires"

that's bad. you should have pushed harder on that one.

even with a 2008 trailer, you shouldn't be getting 04 tires. tires have a life-span, that's like the grocery store selling rotten food.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
"not even trailer rated tires"

So you really think all these guys running 18s & 20s are running trailer rated tires??

Ummm, no.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-14-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
most of "these guys" aren't buying them like that from the dealer or trailer manufacturer.

(Message edited by salty87 on January 14, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
Hmmm, I must be the exception then.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-14-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
My 20"s are good year loadhandler tires that are in fact rated for the weight. I Would say it would be a huge liability for a manufacturer to sell 20" wheels on their trailers without proper rated tires. Sound like potential for a major lawsuit to me.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-15-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
When I showed the tires to a friend of mine that owns a tire shop he had never heard of the brand either. They were trailer rated tires though.

The one thing that I do not understand it 20" rims on these trailers. Now I am not trying to ruffle anyones feathers here but just from a practicality standpoint: you have to run low profile tires to make them fit and that in turn is causing a rougher ride on the trailer and thus rattling your 80K boat alot more. I understand that they add more appeal while going down the highway I was just pointing out practicality.

P

(Message edited by phall925 on January 15, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-15-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Yea, their not very practical, thats for sure. I have 17s or 18s on mine (don't recall which). I bought it that way. Looks cool & gets lots of compliments. I've never noticed a rough ride, but it's hard to tell when one is low on air. And I dread the day I curb one.

20s would be crazy.