Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-21-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
Seeing if there is any pa riders out there... i know its still a little early to be riding since we still have a little snow, but looking to meet some new people to ride with this summer!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-21-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Jason couple of us out there. Look around at DC Wake too, I make a 2 hour ride to MD for better Sunday riding conditions. The Marsh is getting so busy and tubers are becoming more dedicated to ruining morning butter. Also, the fisherman don't care for us wakeboard boats.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-22-2008, 5:11 AM Reply   
yeah i noticed that last summer! you try to get a head start in the morning but there always seems to be someone there with a tube or something
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-22-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
Whats up Jason,, I'm to the east over here in Doylestown.

I run in the Delaware River out of Bordentown NJ (takes about an hour from my house). There are a bunch of good people over in the Jersey scene.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
The Delaware river is marginal at best............you don't wanna go there :-) :-)

Have you PA guys ever tried Lake Aldred? It's a dammed portion of the Schukyl River about 7 miles long. We use to barefoot there when we were members of the ski club. Nice spot.

Johnsvt, maybe a road trip to there once this summer? I still want to try BSW in MD.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
Oops, I meant the Susquehanna river, not the Schukyl. That was another place we use to hit.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-22-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Dave, never heard of that place sounds like a good place to check out
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-22-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
Dave I am definitely going to make the Big D and when you go to BSW let me know I'll go with. Jason I actually live about 4 miles from the state hill boat ramp. There 3 malibu's that you may see out we usually get there by 7ish...just sucks because you are done riding by 10 during the summer, hence I travel.

Goldsboro is another place we go one of my best friends lives right there. However, one has to be real careful due to shallow water and big rocks, but conditions are usually real good.

BSW is damn 4 on the north end of the potomac, as you go down the road to the parking lot you will hear dueling banjos.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-22-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
hopefully i get a chance to get out there this summer
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-22-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Jason which boat do you take to Blue Marsh? There are not to many I remember most.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-22-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
well i go out with my uncle...used to take an older bayliner out...but just last month he traded that in and now we have an 07 MasterCraft
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-22-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
MC that will be different for you to ride behind, did he get it at sterling?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
Your uncle's a cool dude! ^^ :-)
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-23-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
haha yeah my uncle loves to have new toys!
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-23-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Ewing ..no he got it at stoltzfus in adamstown pa i beleive
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-23-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Cool we won't hold a Mastercraft against your uncle or Dave.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-24-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
haha thanks!
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-24-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
I am from the western edge of the state. We ride at Sandy Lake and Shenango Reservoir with camping trips to Tionesta and Kinzua. Kinzua is my favorite place to ride and camp.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-24-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
I/we make a couple of treks to Raystown...is that close for you Rich?
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-25-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
maybe a bunch of us can set up a day or two and a place and all get together and ride!
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-25-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
I live out towards the northeastern part of the state. I know that Sterling Marina is really starting to push wakeboarding in the area. They are starting a new wake team that might help you out with finding some people to ride with. I heard they are pulling people from all around the area. Might be something to check out. Here is some contact info that I dug up - tbart@sterlingmarina.com. Give um a shout - never know!!!
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-25-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
thanks for the info..i will have to check that out!
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-25-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Ewing, Raystown Lake is over a three hour drive. I went there once, years ago just to camp, didn't have a boat at the time. Does it get busy in the summer?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-25-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Rich, I've been to Raystown alot and can tell you the "open" part of the lake is busy on weekends and not too rider-friendly. However the south end between Saxton and Raystown resort offers good riding almost all day long. It's the narrow part of the lake (almost more like a river). Raystown resort offers lodge rooms, cabins, villas, a beach, small waterpark, marina with gas and restaurant, etc. www.raystownresort.com

Jason, you're in Lancaster right? If so, your probably 15 mins. from Lake Aldred. Mapquest Pequea, Pa and look there. Warning, don't try the lake without some local knowledge first of the shallow areas. Nothing is marked, but once you know the lake it's real nice. Wind can sometimes be a problem depending on the direction. I'd be up for a meet-up out there or at Blue Marsh sometime. There's always Bordentown near me, unless there's too much debris in the water after spring rains.

smwake, do you ride at Lake Wally?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-25-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Sterling Marine is helping with a league to ride and Gettysburg Marine is also in the mix. Unfortunately, we, meaning wakeboarders from PA- MD-VA-NJ, were basically dropped by the INT. So hopefully there will be enough people to support the new league.

Dave W. Blue Marsh puts the docks back in April 1st and usually low 60's water temp, maybe high 50's. Bring out that MC we will have plenty of butter and of course annoy the fishermen.

Rich raystown has some great conditions on the southern end anything north of Raystown Resort stinks.

I know the Tige owners are doing something the first weekend of June at Raystown. I am hoping to possibly go to Raystwon, but am looking to try and get some peeps together at Blue Marsh this summer. However, it would be nice to find a place that had more of a beach area to hang and boat.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
yeah Ewing i know what you mean! it would be nice to get people together for blue marsh...its only 20 min or so from my house... but if we could find a place with more of a beach that would be nice...

Dave, I live in northern lancaster county so its about 45 min to Lake Aldred which still isnt bad at all
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-26-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
"Unfortunately, we, meaning wakeboarders from PA- MD-VA-NJ, were basically dropped by the INT."

I wouldn't blame INT for that one...

Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
Yeah I ride at Wallenpauak, but mostly during the week. The weekends are terrible. I have a black Centurion Avalance C-4. I also ride alot with some pals at both Beltzville Lake and also at Lake Harmony.
I talked to someone at Sterling yesterday and they said that they are definatley trying to throw something together in place of the INT. I know that they have a Liquid Force rider, (I think maybe Henshaw) coming up later in the summer. They also said that they are definatley putting a team together this year. I guess holding some open ride times throughout the year to ride a MC and show off some skills. Team members are supposedly getting discounts on all gear and boards in the shop!! Yeah Doctor!!!
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Yeah I ride at Wallenpauak, but mostly during the week. The weekends are terrible. I have a black Centurion Avalance C-4. I also ride alot with some pals at both Beltzville Lake and also at Lake Harmony.

I talked to someone at Sterling yesterday and they said that they are definitely trying to throw something together in place of the INT. I know that they have a Liquid Force rider, (I think maybe Henshaw) coming up later in the summer. They also said that they are definitely putting a team together this year. I guess holding some open ride times throughout the year to ride a MC and show off some skills. Team members are supposedly getting discounts on all gear and boards in the shop!!

Yeah Doctor!!!
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-26-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
Harveys Lake, largest natural lake in PA and home of Grotto Pizza! Look me up if anyone wants to make a roadtrip. You'll have to get up early if you want good weekend riding. I'm a teacher, so we ride all week on butter and drink all weekend
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-26-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
schooledrider, I'll be up some friday with my son (maybe others?) so we don't have to deal with the weekend traffic.

Ewing, Smwake and Jason, Lake Aldred has a beach on the east side of the island in the middle of the lake. Good place to picnic, swim, etc. (family friendly) Maybe a group day trip out there?? It's 2 1/2 hours for me but I don't mind. I like the drive through Lancaster county. :-)

Smwake, you hit Lake Harmony? You need to be a homeowner or renter on there, right? Always wanted to try that lake.

(Message edited by njskier on February 26, 2008)
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
i like grotto pizza haha!...lancaster county is great to drive through haha! id be down a drive to lake aldred and meeting up with you guys anytime
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-26-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
LT there was an effort by people other than G-burg Marine to run the INT and INT said no thanks don't care who you are.

I have to look up some of these lakes and make some plans.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Ewing... i will definitely be doing the same thing, going to start having to plan out some trips
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-26-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
I just looked at Aldred, never had any luck going to the Long Level area, but would try again if there were enough people.

Harvey's lake does look like a good time.
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-27-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
SMWAKE, are you Trevor or Tyler? This is Gavin with the Tige across the channel. I am going to try and get up more this summer on Thursday nights to ride the better conditions on Fridays, if you ever need an extra let me know!
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-27-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Hey Dave,
Sounds good. Sorry we have missed NJ fest last 2 years, something big came up both weekends. About Lake Harmony, very small but nice. I have a friend there and we used to ski there in college-long long time ago.
A Friday would be great for Harveys Lake. Bring as many as you want. Also, the later you in the summer, the less wind although we always have a good long stretch protected from wind.
We have a great free boat launch and good wings and pizza. Boat is also not needed as I'm always ready to roll.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
hmm free boat launch, wings and pizza and wakeboarding...does it get any better!!
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-27-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Yeah, it's tough to leave here in the summer. It's coal country so the lake isn't full of wake boats either-fairly depressed economically although lots of Jersey money moving to our lake-no offense to Jersey riders. I've been very surprised the scene here hasn't grown with new kids much. As with anywhere I guess, parents buy their kids a waverunner so they don't have to spend time teaching them anything. Hopefully my 5year old son will be learning to ride this summer. He'll never get a waverunner, just new wake gear whenever he wants it.
The best part-little competition for good water.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-27-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
schooledrider, how close to tioga county are you. My in-laws live up that way and we go up every once in a while. Maybe I could detour to Harvey's lake sometime.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-28-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Ewing,
I mapped from Harveys Lake to Wellsboro-first place I found in Tioga-and came up with 2 hours. Seems a little far, but would be worth a trip. Harveys Lake is in Luzerne County and it looks like you're directly north?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
Here's a map of Harveys Lake from mapquest.....

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory =&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitu de=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&c ity=harveys+lake&state=pa&zipcode=
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
And here's a link for Lake Aldred.........

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory =&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitu de=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&c ity=pequea&state=pa&zipcode=
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
I think either of the above places would be nice for a day of riding (maybe both?) Harveys sounds really cool because of pizza and wings. Hey schooledrider, is there a beach, dock or cove we could hang out at?

Weise island on Lake Aldred has a beach along its eastern side (right side) No food places on that lake however.

As soon as I hear a date for NJ Wakefest, I'll post it here.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-28-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
Schooldrider, I hope we can make Harveys Lake Wellsboro is 30-40 mins from the farm. The pizza and wings does sound good.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-29-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
My dock/boathouse is the best place to hang during the day. Has bathroom, fridge, kids toys, tv, horseshoes, diving board, etc. There are 2 good anchor/tie up places for swimming.
We'd love to have you, Dave or John. Her'e a pic of the amenities.

(Message edited by rmcronin on February 29, 2008)
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-29-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
D... resizing errors. Sent to your email
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-29-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Nice pics and definitely looks like a great place to just "hang"
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-29-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Yeah, Rich that dock looks sweet! We may have to take you up on that, what do you think John? (take a friday off would be hot, fewer boats on the lake, but saturday would work too)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-29-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
I am sure I could weasel a Friday off sometime this summer.
Old     (jmoney_ride_til_i_die)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-29-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
hey everybody my name is jamie kempton. I ride every weekend of every summer at lake wallanpaupack, PA. I'm lookin to see if there are any other riders out there who are down to chill and ride with me. I am the only real rider in my family and the closest person i ride with up there is about an hour and a half away. I have a lake front house and a new 07 malibu 23 lsv completely tricked out for a real rider. Any one down?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-29-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Jamie look for Roy Finney he has got to know somepeople looking for a pull up your way. You are a solid 2 hours from me but if you are down this way let me know there are a few guys that go out here.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-29-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Jamie if you see a blue Tige 24V near Ironwood point that's Gavin. He's always looking for riders at that end of the lake. Where on the lake do you ride?
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-01-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Anybody riding in the Pittsburgh area? we normally ride on the mon or allegheny rivers, the conditions are usually great, even on the weekends.

Does anyone know other good places to ride?
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-01-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,

I am from TX, used to Live in lebanon, it brings back memories to here ya'll talk about my old stomping grounds. I have been hitting blue marsh for about 20+ years.

I have been to Raystown many times. The south side is a great riding place especially during the week.

We picked up and moved to TX for better weather. It was 70's and sunny here today. Thinkin of ya with that snow on the ground.

You can ride all year round here with a wetsuit in the winter months.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-01-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
Good to hear Dave S. I am originally from Oklahoma. The winter months do you give me a time to actually save some gas money. I couldn't imagine how much gas bill would be if I was able to go all year round.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-02-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
I am moving back to PA this month and I was wondering where to ride. I am looking at the phoenixville area but not sure yet. When does the season start?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-02-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
Season starts late March/early April.

Phoenixville...I think there is some something around royersford for you and Blue Marsh is 45 mins.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-02-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Is there anywhere to ride in the schuylkill
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-02-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
I don't know the answer to that question. I do know there is some sort of ski club near the royersford area which is close to phoenixville.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-02-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
John Keenan, I was a member of the Port Indian ski club in Norristown on the Schukyl and just north of that is Black Rock ski club. Not sure if Port Indian is still an active club, but Black rock is. I heard it gets a bit shallow later in the summer, better spot for skiing/barefooting than for wakeboarding.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-02-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Dave, I just found the port indian ski club online. Do you ride Bordentown?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-02-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
Yes, Bordentown. We have a nice group of riders here, about 25-30 with 6-7 boats. It's only a 30 min. drive for me so sometimes I'll go after work weekdays or fridays when I'm off.

Your profile says you have an X-star, me too (2005) Are you bringing it up north with you?

(Message edited by njskier on March 02, 2008)
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-02-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
30 min is a long drive to go wakeboarding.LOL
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-02-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
Hey, we can't all live 5 mins. from the ramp! :-) Upload
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-02-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Man, I haven't seen that picture in a while. We ended up getting some nice glass after the rain stopped. Good times.

Six more weeks and I pick my baby up, then it's time to get wet.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-02-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
Yes I am bringing my boat with me but hopefully trading it in for a new one. I would like to meet a couple people and ride at least once during the week and then also on the weekends. My parents live across the bridge in yardley and I might be staying with them until I close in my house, so I hope to ride while I am there(bordentown I mean).
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-02-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
Nice boat woody...I assume that is yours.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-03-2008, 2:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Ewing, that my baby. We were caught in some heavy rain and were hiding out under the bridge. Thats me in the middle wiping down the seats, Dave in the back and EJ in front.
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-03-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
Jamie, where on the lake are you? I am just across the channel from Iron Wood camp ground and usually ride the section along the nature preserve. Where are you at on the lake?
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-03-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
spring break starts on thurs...so we are taking the new boat out to break her in!! prolly wont get any boarding in being that the water is freezong!
Old     (lejalapeno)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-03-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Anyone riding near the Bloomsburg Area? Anywhere within an hour or so I can brave the drive. I'm more of a wakeskater(I can do less on my wakeboard than my wakeskate) but none of my friends can do either so I'm in desperate need of a pull.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-03-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Nate I get up to Tioga every once in a while. You are probably not that far from Wallenpaupak?
Old     (lejalapeno)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-03-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
Like an hour or so
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-03-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
I would see Jamie, sounds like he needs some people to ride.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-04-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Nate,
Nate,bring some gas up to Harveys Lake and we'll ride. I'm into wakeskating also. Harveys Lake is about a 45 min. drive. I went to college at Bloom. Jamie, I might make a trip to the "pack". Are you ever there during the week? From what I understand, the water is pretty terrible there on the weekends.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
schooled,

I'm going to try and hit Lake Wally on a friday sometime this summer. I'm also going to get in touch with Ryan @ Sterling marina up there and see if he wants to host some gathering(s). Maybe a board/boat demo day or something.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-04-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Cool-it's only 1 hour from here.
Old     (lejalapeno)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-04-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
Schooled, I'll make a couple trips up there during the summer
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Hey guys....My name is Trevor and I started running the wake department @ Sterling Marina last summer. We have a schedule lined up with some sweet events. We are getting a boat to use for all the events and also to pull team and visiting riders. Give me a shout with some of your ideas and we will see if we could set something up.