Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-12-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
I rode at McCormicks today and it was amazing but my hands were getting so torn up that I had to come in a little early because I could barely grip the handle.

I am gonna be riding all day tomorrow as well and needed a solution to this, so I went to Sports Authority and picked up some fingerless training gloves, a blister kit, and some waterproof tape.

I'll probably only wear my left glove because that's the worst one but it's still a little embarrassing....

Anyways, I know a ton of people here ride cable, so what are some things to do in order to avoid getting these or things to do after getting them.

Also, here is a pic from today....
Upload

Getting BOOTED!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-12-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Hold the handle with your fingers, not your 'upper' palms of your hands.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-12-2009, 9:06 PM Reply   
I did that a little to take the pressure off the palm but it's a little hard to really get a good grip like that, plus little blisters are forming there too!

I wish those handles were a little more comfortable...
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-12-2009, 9:21 PM Reply   
get a job in construction! lol...i have leather hands now...my girlfriend says she likes em cuz it shows i work hard, but she dont like touching em haha
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-12-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
Haha I'll try that out, but I actually did have some decent callouses but for some dumb reason I picked em off...

Sure am regretting it now...
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-13-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Super glue! When my kids go to camp for a week at the beginning of the season blisters are inevitable. They just put super glue on them and works like a charm.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-13-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
I wear gloves on the cable all the time. If you get calluses you need to trim them before they build up too much. If you let them build then the water will soften them and they will rip off.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-13-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
Day 2
Upload
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-13-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
yea!!!!! those blister bandaides and some tape and your good to go...

you dont want a lot of dead skin there...it will rip off just like it did...you just gotta give your mits a rest...let your hands dry off and what not..
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-13-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
http://www.waterskimag.com/article/Instruction/Wrap-It-Right

This looks a little extreme, but there's lots of info on taking care of you hands on this site. I guess you have to do whatever it takes to keep you on the water, who cares if someone looks at you funny for wearing ski gloves.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-13-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
Yea towards the end of the day I didn't really care, because i'm either "looking cool" sitting on the bench, or "looking lame" riding with gloves.

I had a couple layers of tape and bandaids on which were good and I actually put a training glove over it which mainly helped to keep everything intact.

Here's a pic
Upload
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Super Glue works but beware.. You will be crying like a baby once you put it on.

OUCH!!!!!!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-13-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Hahaha I tried to put a little hydrogen peroxide on there and ya crying like a baby sounds about right.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-13-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
what does superglue do?
form a hard layer to protect your hands or something? how long does it usually last?
my hands were destroyed when we spent a week and a half at cwc last year. i'm heading back in sept for 2 weeks and am starting to get worried!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
It will definitely seal the cut that you have. The issue is the chemical burn that you will feel once it touches raw skin. $.02
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-13-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
i use new skin or nu skin however you spell it....it tends to work somewhat....once raw skin is exposed doesnt help too much
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
I just used duct tape toward the end of the week when I was at the boarding school. My hands looked like that photo except with 4 of those deep blisters; one under each finger. I just taped them up really good, put on some ski gloves, and sucked up the pain! Once they heal the skin will build up and you won't get blisters nearly as easily. The catch was they took a few weeks to totally heal...
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-14-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Yea these things are gonna be a pain trying not to bother and what not. I guess just keep band aids on most of the time.