Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (brad_m)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I usually ride with the same people and we just rotate boats so it doesn't make sense to pay for gas. But lately I've been going out with other people and was just wondering what is normal to offer for gas for your average morning session.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-26-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
i usually have been getting between $10-$15 from people. they normally get 2 decent runs in with almost full ballast.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-26-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
10-15 per set.

However, this is the "standard" so feel free to chuck a 50 for a couple of sets, I try to do that every so often with anyone that gives me regular pulls.

Try to consider boat payment, insurance, gas to tow vehicle, depreciation, etc.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-26-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
I figure how much gas costs for my riding time then double it.
Old     (wakepete)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
10-15 is my average, Your way better off overpaying then underpaying. Ill notice something they may need and pick that up for the boat like a handle, vest cleaning supplies if I ride allot with that person.
Offering to drive is key a few hours behind the wheel for anyone gets old.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-26-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
how long of sets are you guys taking??? i'm thinking i need to up my asking price.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
I show up with (2) 10 gallon jugs of gas. Then I put them in after we are done riding. I'm always the first to get a call to be a third. Every now and then my buddy gives me a free day of riding.

I usually get in 2 good sets, and I'll offer to drive.

If your just getting pulls on a regular boat, do something huge like buy a wakeskate, or wakesurf and donate it to the boat for the season. Things like that make a huge impression on the guy paying for the boat, insurance, launch fee's, ect.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-26-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I agree, there's much more cost to operating the boat than just the gas. My friends are really good about chipping in, but my family thinks that boats are free apparently. The people who help out the most are the first ones to get called to go out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
20 for the first set 10 for the second.

It cost more than gas to pull.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
one of my best buddies, paid for the season pass at the launch ramp and then he buys all the beer...works for me
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
Good suggestions...it is hit or miss with my crew. 1 guy consistently splits the gas and puts in a lot of time and effort taking care of the boat. Another friend goes along mostly for the boat ride, flags more than he boards...he never throws in for gas but he buys handles and lines, ballast bags, and is always asking what kind of toy to donate to the boat next.

There are alot of ways to take care of the boat owner...sometimes the needs go beyond boat gas. Make it a challenge to pay attention and find a need to fill. Help with cleanup, nagging repairs, extra boards, ballast, newt shooter, etc. With boats, there is always something that needs to be done or added.
Old    dabigkahuna            06-26-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Nate, very well said, great ideas!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
As Nate said, there are a lot of different ways to take care of the boat owner.
One guy who rides with us never offers gas, but will always pick up the full tab for lunch or dinner afterwards for my wife and myself.
Last night when dropping off another regular rider, he dumped in (3) 5 gallon cans of gas.
On Saturday, a few new riders went out with me and gave me $20.00 each.
Nice gestures from all.
I never used to accept any payment from anyone, but now with the costs of everything going up, I think everyone should have the courtesy of offering up for their share.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
We've all been in the same position as Greg, we would prefer to provide a free experience to guests but it's just not realistic. It can be awkward to bring it up, or even to come up with a good response when a guests asks what to contribute.

Something I've picked up here, is to have a standing rule that the first ride trip for any guest is free. Let them know on the first trip out, it's a good way to approach the subject in a generous manner. It lets people see what is involved in a trip on your boat and what to expect. They'll appreciate a free trip, and will know that you expect an appropriate contribution the next time out.
The kid down the street goes with us and throws in $40 every other trip or so. He's at the awkward age where he screws everything up so we can't let him drive or do anything important. His $40 gets him a 3-5 sets, free equipment use, lessons, and a hard time from the guys. Good deal if you ask me.

Brad - I know these responses aren't tailored well for your original question as an owner yourself. Sorry to hijack your thread, but this is a common interest around here and we're just tossing out ideas to everyone.

(Message edited by mammoth on June 26, 2007)

(Message edited by mammoth on June 26, 2007)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-26-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
For two sets, I can not imagine it being less than $25.00, so that is what I give. Now if you are taking three or longer sets, then at least $30.00. I have also been the one donating boat boards/bindings, doing maintenance work, detailing, paying the launch fees for the year, and always paying for gas.

Boat ownership is incredibly expensive, and a good reason us non boat owners should reward a boat owner with gifts and money. Thanks to all you boat owners for taking us non boat owners out :-)
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-26-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
what about a kid like myself? Im 19 and in college, so im broke as a joke. I try to pitch up 15 or 20 bucks whenever i have cash on me, but what should i do if i want a pull but cant afford to buy beer, food, or gas. Wash the boat?
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-26-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
$10 is not nearly enough to pay for a full session (2 sets or maybe 3)....two of us can burn $50 in gas alone on any given evening...not to mention drinks/eats/gas for truck/etc. Having said that, I think $20 is a good round number for a morning or evening...and I've given as much as $60 for a full afternoon/evening of riding....but that was a lot of riding behind a new 220 so I wasn't complaing.

I always gave the first trip for free, because you are a "guest"....after that....you're "crew" and need to start chippin in.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-26-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
It’s really nice that people offer to pay for gas. I like to get 10 to 20 for a two set ride. We have one guy that we call some times just for a third, he never pays for gas, and we don’t invite him until we have to have a third. Fuel this year has been a big bummer on the boating season. It is getting very costly to run these boats. I have been burning at least $ 175 per week on gas. I don’t even like to put the extra water in, it seems to just use that much more fuel.

You guys are making me jealous in getting boat gifts, I never have thought that someone would ever go to those lengths, would be nice though.

I did not go out the other day just because I needed a break from all the fuel costs.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
Cory - If you're 19 and in college, bring girls!
Old     (johnben)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
I usually give 10-12 a set depending on gas price and how many times I fall
Old     (troymoto25)      Join Date: May 2007       06-26-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
You guys rock & my friends suck! $50? haha, I'd see pigs fly over Elsi before I got $50 from any of them.

Oh well I guess, can't ride alone...
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-26-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
normally my friends chip in 20-30 bones and bring snacks/refreshments. I tell them just look at the gas guage when we are done and figure 30 bucks for every quarter tank of gas and divide up amoung themselves, anything extra helps.
Old    mendo247            06-26-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
J-rods right on, $20 first set $10 the second...

I ride with kids who are in school and dont have jobs or work part time and am thrilled with any donation from them..
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-26-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
"$20 1st set $10 2nd set"

Tho I think that is a good # and I really don't pitch in less then that but doesn't it also matter how long they take their sets?

In my experience,not everybody could ride for the same amount of time nor does everybody fall the same amount so it kind of hard to ask/demand $30 for 2 sets.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
depending on who im with i chip in 20 dollars because thats there rule or for some friends we basically rotate pulls so it equals out. i also try to fill my boat at least once a year for my dad because at 100 dollars of gas a day it gets expensive for him
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-26-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
$20 on every third pull, I ski for about 1/2 hour.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Touchy subject but it needs to be addressed. I once had my boat on someone's lift and we would exchange the use of the boats; his and mine, and would fill the boats up with gas cans. His lack of responsibility (refilling) and paying for his and his friends gas ruined our friendship. To this day, I think he's a young, spoiled punk.

I charge and pay $10/set when I'm riding, and more if we are towing any distance; but with gas the way it is, that really doesn't cover it anymore. $15/set is probably what it will have to go to at $3.00/gallon.

Finding a good crew isn't hard but the hardest thing to do is set the correct expectation with people coming out, upfront. Even if you are a single guy, you'll go broke paying for every single gal and all of her friends to come out every weekend or so. Not to mention, they, and/or your friends will take advantage of this.

Set the correct expectation upfront, and find a good crew, or go ride on someone else's boat.
Old    mendo247            06-26-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Ive NEVER asked anyone for a single cent... However it may be considered next time were putting a crew together lol
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
I agree Big Ed. And If I were to ride two loooong sets behind a slammed boat like yours, I would probably pay more than that. It just depends.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-26-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Hmmm..........Lately I've been boat swapping, so money hasn't been an issue. I usually bring 20 and if my girlfriend is with me, then its 40 or 50 depending on what happens to be in my wallet. I try to take care of it before we head out, so the wondering about it isn't an issue at the end of the day........Hope I'm not being a tightwad these days!

Personally, I'm good with a 20/wipedown offer when it's my boat, and I like to ride till everyone's done usually.....anything extra (gifts, etc) is gravy, but it carries a lot of weight.........Lately it's been mostly "family" so the occasional extra riders are more accepted gestures than revenue recovery...I don't usually bring it up, but I'm not missing anything...

If I ride with Buzz, though, I just tell him to be glad I even show up, crash at his place, and then make him by me dinner!
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-26-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
Beyond costs associated with gas/maint/towing there is a time factor for the owner. I typically put in at least 1/2 hour before leaving to get ready and another 45 minutes when I get back to clean, cover the boat, and put everything away. Another idea is to have a clean-up/detail day. The crew comes over and cleans the boat once a month. I've done this once and it worked out well.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-26-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
J-rod,when it came to riding with you......gas money was NEVER a issue with you and I.You are very generous with gas money and is appreciated.....

I was just saying that it is hard to say how much a set costs when a lot of things can make a differents.Time,falls,etc.
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-26-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
I think most people here on wakeworld will pay for gas and then some, and help out when possible. It's the other riders that don't understand boats are expensive and a lot of work to maintain. I'd say if you regularly ride on someone's boat, and other people aren't pitching in, tell them yourself. The boat owner doesn't need to know about it unless people don't help out.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-26-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
I have conferred with many of the boat owners I ride with and do a rough calculation everytime I go out on my boat & with a loaded boat it always seems to come out just under $11 a set. That is what I am happy getting and what I usually give as most people don't load their boat like I do. that is at like $2.95 a gallon. At $3.00 + $25 seems more in line for 2 sets. That is only gas cost.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-26-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
What would be your suggestion for this circumstance. Whenever I invite a person the first time they are out I don't expect anyone to pay. However my daughter's boyfriend has become a regular and never has offered any money, however he/she are only highschool kids and he is a good kid. I hate to ask for money but my boat is 5-6 gallons an hour.

I wouldn't know what to do if people offered up gas money no one has ever offered a penny. I would consider you guys lucky.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-26-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
Ewing,
Just my .02, it's your daughters boyfriend and he's a good kid. Consider yourself lucky and call it even. Imagine the losers she could be with. Enough said.

I get people that offer me money, but I never take it. I just don't want to. Some of them insist and I insist back. And some of them sneak it into my glovebox or someplace else. I appreciate that. But I don't ask and I don't care. As long as they are good people, don't bring any drama, have fun, and everyone enjoys themselves I'm happy. Just me. I do understand people that want to recoop some of that money cause it is expensive to own a boat so I'm not "poo poo"ing anybody for wanting some gas money, especially from consistant "boat whores"

I think I'm pretty lucky, I have several friends that have boats, so we pretty much ride on each others boat with no problem.
Old     (jmiahhenry)      Join Date: May 2007       06-26-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
A funny story...

a buddy of mine got asked by a friend of a friend for a tow. He was like sure can you show up at the dock with your gear and enough beer for four of us for the day. (which I thought was more than fair) My buddy and I leave his dock and head to pick up the guy at another local dock. As we are pulling up the guy is standing there with his board and a six pack.
My buddy looks at him and yells sorry man your not getting a ride with that and we never stopped.

I was laughing and we went up to a local marina and bought 2 twelves.

We had a blast but I am sure the other guy was pissed.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
Damn he didn't even bring a rope??? LOL

I always feel weird getting money from people. I always smile when the regulars make it a huge point in front of the newbies they pitch in money. I feel like an ass and they REALLY flaunt it. Most people pitch in $20 a day. The other thing is I fill up w/ them with me so they see and do their own math. You all know how guys are they wont sit in a truck waiting for the pump they get out and kick the tires. Well they kick and kick and kick and kick the time @ the pump = $$$ they kick in when they see the total tally. If not they don't hear from me for a while and are hesitant to ask and get the picture. If they wait in the truck I usually crank up the tunes and roll down the window so they can't take the noise and come out to pump w/ me haha.
Old     (huddy)      Join Date: May 2007       06-26-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
20 for the tow to the lake. fill when done split it down the middle at the pumps. Take as many pulls as you want or surf. It all comes back in the end just for the day of fun. Girls don't pay, they just bring the food and beer. An you know they always buy too much lol. Kids and riders for weight ride free or chip in for the beer (but they will throw down just for the gesture). its fair cause all get to see the price of the fill and don't feel they are getting ripped off. And most my regular throw down more cause of the boat up keep, they are also there through the whole clean up too. Boats get friends!!! lol
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-27-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
Jeremiah... Now that's friggin cold man. lol

I many times fill up afterward to calculate how much has been used per set but by that time everyone else has already scattered like roaches under a kitchen lamp!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
I wish all my friends could see this. I am 19 and pay for the gas myself. They all pay $10 a piece, which is nice until the tank costs $50 and I only got $20 from everyone and I only got one set. My friends told me they were all going to get me a big birthday present. Yea, that never happened.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-27-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
I usually take 2-3 runs, 2-3 rides per run, I usually kick down $20 bucks. I take care of my crew in other ways too. I will take pictures, perform service on their boats, oil change, trailer service, etc, etc. Just recently, Digger had a blow out on his Calibria, called me looking for a new tire, & I surprised him w/ a new set of 20's on Yokohams. I think I'm exempt for gas w/ him.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-27-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
You can always pull up to a gas dock. You will end up paying close to a buck (or more) a gallon but EVERYONE will visually see what the $$$'s/gallons add up to. When the tab is $100+ people take notice no matter what the traditional 'chipping in rules' are.

As the owner you can always play the 'I left my wallet in the truck' card and see how many people chip in. Of course you will have your wallet hidden someplace in the boat because more than likely you will have to pay...

As for people that can't afford to chip in. I have two thoughts. #1 I strongly believe you will make an effort to chip in $'s if you really love what you are doing. If you can't chip in money should you expect your friends to cover you? You gotta pay to play. With all things being equal... If you personally had the choice of hanging out with a mooch vs. hanging out with a contributor what would you do?
#2 I think that donations of either time and or boards, ropes, etc. are always good. A good cleaning and detailing of a boat is needed at least a couple of times a year. Don't be upset if you offered to wash the boat/trailer and you are the only one with a wash rag and bucket while others are sitting on the deck relaxing with a beverage of choice.

You are supposed to have fun with this or any sport. When you get to the point of thinking of all the costs associated with your chosen sport(s) the fun factor starts heading south and a certain negative vibe can be started.

(Message edited by biz on June 27, 2007)
Old     (jifffy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
I never once asked for gas money on my boat, I never expected or wanted it either. I had a few people offer me money for a session but I would always refuse taking it. I just saw the gas cost as part of owning the boat. Plus I entertained clients and close friends/family on the boat, the thought never crossed my mind to ask for gas money.

But I would also gladly pay a boat owner if I was on his boat and he wanted some gas money .
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
For you guys who never ask, (I almost never ask myself) or even refuse gas money...what is your frequency and typical trip like?

We ride 3-4 times a week, with 4-6 adult riders which can easily mean $200+ in gas, weekly. These trips are purely for the sake of riding...we have a rider up about 100 yards from the gas dock and have riders in the water the entire time. I'm not talking about 'friends and family day' on the water, but operating the boat solely for the sake of boarding.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-27-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
AnT I agree, I was just brought up to offer any help where possible. I would turn down the money as my wife would not let live it down to take money, but it would be a nice gesture.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-27-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Ewing I totally agree. The boyfriend should absolutely stick around and help you wipe down and all the usual stuff immediately afterwards. But, he should also be giving it a good washing/waxing at the house, etc. I would be wanting to make a good impression on my girlfriends dad and get in good with him, and what better way to do that then show him (or you in this case) that he has a good work ethic and isn't afraid to help out above and beyond. Just as you mentioned.

Nate, I never ask and never take money. Like I said earlier, I have a few friends that all have boats and we ride on each others boats without a mention of gas money. I did just have a co-worker friend with his son come out this weekend for the first time just for the day. They windsurf but not anything with a boat. He brought a 12 pack of my favorite beer Newcastle without being asked to. Props to him for that one. He offered gas money but as usual I refused. They each rode the wakeboard, and wakesurf and I even got to toss him around on the tube later in the day. Lots of gas used, but more good times is more important to me.

I've never seen anyone fall, hang onto the handle, recover, fall, hang onto the handle, recover, fall, hang onto the handle and fall again all in one ride. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen ever. My stomach was hurting the next day I was laughing so hard.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Most of the people that come ride with us throw in $15-$30 and they usually ride 2 15-20min sets. If I ride with someone I pay $30 or bring 15 gallons.