Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-07-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
I have been working on a heelside back roll but I understand there are two ways to do it. Mexican roll- (harder way)which is what I have been doing, throwing my head down and to the left. I'm right foot forward. And the other way, looking over your left }shoulder, which I think may be easier. Can somebody walk me through the mechanics of this? Thanks!
Old                09-07-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
if you are right foot forward you need to be looking up and over your right shoulder. its kind of like a reverse cartwheel if you think about it.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-07-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
Back Roll
1. Go HeelSide. Take a slower progressive cut into the wake keeping lots of tension on the rope. 2. Throw your board up and sideways away from the boat. 3. Turn your face twoard over your back shoulder looking at the sky. 4. Kick your feet over your head. 5. This should send you into a roll. 6. As you come around, spot your landing. 7. Keep your knees bent as you land (as always).

I got this off of boardpass.com---They say back shoulder. I'm confused!
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
Braden, I suggest you learn the non-Mexican version. It looks much better and is probably less painful to learn. Everybody who is serious about wakeboarding should learn this trick. Here we go: Commit to landing the trick. Cut out no wider than 15 ft. You don't need huge speed for this one. Take a progressive cut to the wake. Think wake to wake jump, but start cutting a little harder and away from the boat a few feet before you're reaching the wake in order to load the line. It is crucial to edge through the wake and not let off of your edge before your pop. Pop off the top of the wake by really standing tall. This is essential. Don't take off with bent knees! At your take off, look over your leading shoulder. Since you're right foot forward this would be your right shoulder, not your left shoulder. Don't violently throw your head in any direction, just look over your shoulder. Keep the handle close to your hips. The more you keep it in, the faster you'll rotate. If you're going to overrotate, let the handle out a little bit. The rotation itself happens naturally, you must not "throw" this trick. It just happens if you get everything right. Let go with your back hand just before you touch down. This will prevent you from face planting or sliding out when learning this trick. If you follow these steps correctly, you have a good chance of landing it within a few tries. Once again: The right approach and take off are key to achieve the HS back roll. When you're doing it right, it should feel very smooth and easy.

Allright, once again: Cut in progressively to have good line tension at your take off. Straighten your legs to really stand tall at the top of the wake and look over your leading shoulder. Keep the handle in. When you're around, let go with your back hand. Land on your heelside edge. Good luck
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-07-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
but don't you have to start the rotation by looking left??
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-07-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
I guess I'm used to a mexican roll, which sucks now for learning it the right way.
Old     (muddyboss)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-07-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
so your saying stand tall at the wake, so if you had a pic of yourself at the lip of the wake while trying a roll you would appear to be doing a normal wake jump, or would you already be starting to rotate your legs out to the side?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-08-2005, 6:46 AM Reply   
You would be standing tall at the wake like a normal wake jump. You have to wait for the pop to turn your head over the shoulder that crosses the lip first. As a note, I have not landed this yet, but that is because I seem to have difficulty keeping the handle at my hip to keep my rotational speed up.

Has anybody tried this as a 1 wake trick to get the feel first? I seem to be mostly blasting 10 feet across the wake when I try them. To hard a cut I suppose.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-08-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
Eric...I'm in the same boat as you...I'm having a tough time keeping the rope at my hip, so I rotate a little too slow. I'm getting full rotation though, but I'm coming right out of the flip as I touch down on the water. So I have zero time to spot my landing...also I think having my arms out too far is obstructing my view of the water as I come back around. I almost had it this weekend...landed, but cased the top of the 2nd wake and that popped the handle. Otherwise, I think I could have ridden away from it.

One thing that helped me with this trick to get closer to landing it was to slow the boat down to about 15mph-16mph and ride out into the flats...then start bouncing on the rope and feeling the bungee effect that you get. Then lastly, to actually try to backroll with no wake in the flats. If you bungee it properly, theoritically you should be able to get all the way around with no wake. The pros can do it. But even if us normal people can't, it still is a big help because it teaches you the proper load and release mechanics of the trick. Try this a couple times in the flats (falls don't hurt at all), then take it to the wake. Guarantee you will get much closer. Also, take a shorter approach to the wake...maybe 10-12 feet and really drift in the beginning...then load up hard at the trough. Hope this helps...hopefully soon we'll both be sticking this trick...this one is getting the best of me.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-11-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
You actually have to look over your LEADING SHOULDER WHILE TAKING OFF, NOT AFTER YOUR TAKE OFF (@ Braden: This would be your RIGHT shoulder if you're goofy foot. Really!). Keep the handle in.

But guys, the most important part is that you really load the line and extend your legs at the top of the wake (stand tall - fully extended!). This will give you the pop you'll need to rotate all the way around and land clean. If you don't do this - no back roll will happen. At least not a clean one that you'll get consistant with. And again, no "throwing" or "kicking"-business for the back roll. This trick should happen very smoothly, not hectic in any way.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-02-2005, 7:41 PM Reply   
alright..start with a progressive cut in and increase the cut at the wake..dont start the flip until both of you bindings have left and wake and it should pretty much flip you all the way around from there..that was my problem, i was flipping to early and ever since i started flipping after both of my bindings left the wake i have nailed them ever since..hope this helps...
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-03-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
have you checked out the instructional on this site?

http://www.wakeworld.com/TrickList/TrickTip004a.asp

mike mclin does a good job of explaining the trick and the clip is of a goofy rider, so that should also help.

there are two problems i see most with this trick from folks (including myself):

1) keep both hands on the handle. it makes a huge difference with this trick.

2) standing tall at the wake. because it's a flip we break at the waist coming off the wake so as to get the rotation.

let us know how it goes - and get video if you can!