Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-03-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
I have a crazy annoying problem, When going any where to board my trailers gard wheels (at rear by prop) grind hella bad on any size of speed bump,entry/exit out of gas stations, driveway...ect....It's a 05 dual axle Zieman trailer, For some reason I have never felt like that trailer is ment for the boat 05 Tige 22i??? Can I have it lifted like a truck or put 20's on it? It rides level now while towing.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-03-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Do you need a drop hitch instead?

The frame rails of the trailer should be parallel to the ground. If the rails are higher in the front, get a drop hitch. Also, you might need to crab out of some driveways. Some times I'll leave a gas station exit at a big angle to keep both wheels from being in the gutter at the same time.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-03-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
I know for my DHM trailer they make lifting blocks for it. Check with your manufacturer they might make the same for Zieman's.
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-03-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
My trailer had the same problem, I moved to a new house and couldn't get the trailer up the driveway because of the angle. I had the axle moved so that instead of sitting on top of the leaf springs, the leaf springs now sit on top of the axle. It gave me at least another 4". I raised the ball height a few more inches to get it all level again. Now all I need to do is lower the fenders so the wheel wells don't look so strange.
Old    deltahoosier            04-03-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Sounds dangerous to raise the center of gravity of the boat. Make sure your hitch height is between 17 to 19 inches is I remember the correct numbers.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-03-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Put some 24's on it!!
Old     (bladeaustin)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-03-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Scooter, LMAO
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-03-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
mike, that was a joke!!!
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-03-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
SoA (spring over axle) lift on a trailer? SICK! LOL. Standard lift blocks for the width of the spring should work too (as stated above). Probably a lot less hassle to do too. Their safety has been in question from day one especially with the torque of the brakes if they come loose. Keep those u-bolts tight and you should be ok.
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-03-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
The previous owner of my Boat had done the SOA (Is some one else here into Jeeps?) on the trailer. So far I kind of dig it. I reconfigured my draw bar a little to level it all out and it has been fine for me. My boat is not that large though and I do not use my trailer brakes. I do not pull great distances though.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-03-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
i have a similar problem with my trailer where at ground level when it is on my hitch, the wheel is all the way cranked up and I usually have to lift the trailer a bit to rotate the arm. I was thinking I could just remount the wheel lift, but could I get away with just lifting the hitch? i can rotate the hitch to lift 2", but I haven't because then the trailer isn't level. Does it matter?
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-03-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
I had the same problem, I think it's kind of common. I saw a post on the MC site about replacing the metal drag wheels on the prop guard with urethane skateboard wheels. I tired it and it works great. No more scraping on the driveway approach. Easy fix.
Upload
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-03-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Derr im an idiot. As long as you don't have a torsion spring on the trailer you could do long shackles too.

I was into jeeps a while back, I am like registered user 2k on pirate4x4
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-03-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
Another pic of the skateboard wheels vs steel wheels on the prop guard
Upload
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-03-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Toneus - I do have a drop hitch on, I have tried sevral hight adjustments. If its to high or too low it make s truck lurch while driving. Rides best when level but scrapes.

The Right Kind - Great idea! However I just went out and looked and the F'n things are welded on a bracket/rod!!!!

I'll look into the block lift, Thanks for the info.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
We put a 2" block lift on our DHM trailer. Bought the blocks from DHM and had the u-bolts made at a local trailer shop. Took about 1.5 hours to put on and it works great. No issues when launching, no difference when towing.
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-06-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Upload

could i lift my trailer so it is the same height as this truck and i dont have to use a drop hitch?

Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
That guy probably doesn't even have to put the 951 area code on that truck, it's pretty much oblivious where he's from.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-07-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Upload
Old    deltahoosier            04-07-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
You may want to watch the launch ramp you are using. Could cause issues with retreving the boat if you raise it. You will have to put the trailer in deeper and may float your boat over the fenders and other issues.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-07-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
The safest and easiest install would be longer shackles unless the spring mounts above the frame rail (in effect lowering it).
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
"That guy probably doesn't even have to put the 951 area code on that truck, it's pretty much oblivious where he's from."
}}
I guess you mean obvious?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-07-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
I bought a drop hitch and I rarley scrape anymore. I also am fully awae of what gas stations have steep riveways etc so I avoid all of them. Nothing worse then pullin into a gas station looking like the shizzznizzle then all of the sudden WHAM!!! Everyone starts laughing because it sounds like you just hit something. Why they dont start putting those skateboard wheels on all trailers is beyond me.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-08-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
hey rod- where'd you find those mounts w/casters???