Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-26-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Just got word Aaron dislocated his shoulder @ the Louisville Boat show. He was transfering to the kink rail & made it clean but carried sooo much speed he flew out of the landing pool & landed on his shoulder & head coming to rest under the boat they were winching from. could have been much worse. very scarey deal. speedy recovery.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-27-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
I saw that happen and you could say it could have been worse. I hope he gets better soon.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
any video? That sucks.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-27-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
NooooOOOoooooOOOOOooo
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
It really could have been worse. He was carrying a lot of speed when he left the pool. He landed on concrete outside the pool. The next day Bryan Hutton did the same thing, but fortunately he was not hurt and got back up to do his next run off the kicker.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-28-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Hey Mike- Did you hear anything sunday on an actual report on Aaron? What was Bryan doing that he went out? Any bigger crowds Sunday? See you guys next weekend.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
He had some kind of tear in his shoulder that will require surgery (I was told) . He was released on saturday and was at the video premier party saturday night. I don't know any more than that. Bryan went out doing the same rail as Aaron and just carried too much momentum and went out backwards out of the pool. Bryan popped up to his feet within 2 seconds. He said he knew it was coming and braced for it. as he hit he curled his knees up and actually rolled backwards.
As for the crowds, they were a little better and they were more serious shoppers on sunday. The rail jam was alot more crowded and they were a lot more fired up. Hopefully next weekend will be even better.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-28-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Seeing way too many riders fly out of slider pools. The builders of these things really should start stepping up the safety levels. Longer pools would be a good start.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
Sketchy landing pools should be banned. The riders who are hitting these things should get together and decide not to ride if the conditions are the least bit dangerous.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-28-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
there was nothing sketchy about the set up at all. it is just these riders were carrying alot of speed & trying to stop in a 60 foot pool. space is always limited at these indoor events & im not sure how much bigger of a pool there could be
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-28-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
No offense Taylor, but 60 foot landing pools are sketchy when they are surrounded by concrete. I hear what you're saying on the space.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-28-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
yeah maybe some of the harder tricks should be left alone. the majority of the people @ the boat shows couldn't tell you the difference between when a rider rides over the rails or transfers from one to another. what I seen this weekend was 99.9 percent of the crowd was ignorant to wakeboarding. I say that not to offend anyone but majority of those people have never been exposed to wakeboarding.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
Having person go flying out of a pool it sucks. The pool was narrow and I smoke the concrete. Didnt stop me though way to much fun. A big part of the sketchy pool set up is riders agreeing to hit it. If the pool is sketchy I just dont go for Glory just try to be able to walk out when its over. On the flip side I have never seen a pool that doesnt have some type of sketch factor no matter how big, narrow, shallow, loosing water. ALthought the Amsterdam rail jam looked sick million gallon pool is crazy!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-28-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Rathy is a hockey player, he will bounce back. Remember his rail hit in Welcome, and he road in Kalowna the next weekend. Good luck with a quick recovery Aaron.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
60 feet is way too short for a landing pool. If there's not enough space for a proper and safe set-up, don't put it there in the first place. Look at all of the legit rail jams (Surf Expo, X Games, Wakestock, Dew Tour) all of their landing pools are at least 90 feet long and about 40-50 feet wide. They've all gone the extra mile to ensure safety for the riders.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-29-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
Here is a pic from a boat show in cali, narrow landing Big Pole in landing area, but what fun..
Upload
Upload
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       01-29-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Welcome to the club Rathy!!!!

Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
you guys don't look so happy.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       01-29-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
worst summer ever man.... both of us popped them in early june..... watched from the boat the rest of the summer.....
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-29-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
the louisville show was done by step up who did the dew tour in orlando. Once again it is all about SPACE. there is no way you could put one of those big set ups indoors. 1 there is not enough room and 2 the cost for floor space would be way to cost prohibitive. It cost over 10 grand to put on these rail jams just for Step up not counting the floor space that has to be rented and truthfully I dont know how many boats a rail jam sells at a boat show. it is a very cool event but not a money maker
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-29-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
so then why not have it if they cant afford to do it and safely? IMO it will lead to lawsuits and regulation which cant be good for the growth of wakeboarding. Two riders falling out is just rediculous.
so what are you saying jim its ok do just do stuff half anus???
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
Upload
Yes, Yes Welcome!!!!! Dude I missed the whole wakeboard season; third time out I popped her out!
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Since J$ and I missed the whole wakeboard season we decided to put on the Carpet Jam 2008; It was awesome; but we are still waiting to see who won}}?!?!?!?!
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Upload

So Aaron if you wanna come out sometime for a carpet jam just let me know
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
what the heck just happened.....
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-29-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
No Soli- is what I am saying is that for a demo where there is no money, prize, trophy, points, etc it may be smarter to play it safe and save your body for when money is on the line. I am not saying Bryan or Aaron were being ignorant at all in what they did but maybe riders need to decide the risk vs reward. As I said before your typical boat show crowd is not very well exposed to wakeboarding in the first place. So john fisherman probably doesn't know the difference between a 360 or 540 let alone what transfering is.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-29-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
Upload

This is what it's about.. million gallons... plenty of room..

Only complaint was the mid 40 degree water...shrinkage?
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-29-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
yeah greg that is a great set up but as we can see it is taking up the entire floor of an arena where at a normal convention you could have 6 or more dealers just in that space alone. I do not disagree with this set up it is great but most places struggle to justify having the smaller set ups alone let alone the additional floor cost involved with this.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Most of the riders doing the rail demos are being paid to be there by sponsors, so somewhat committed to ride. If they feel strongly that it is putting them in danger they could chose not to ride. But remember these guys are young and fearless.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-29-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
spot on randy young and fearless
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-30-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
there is a link on this website that has a video of the crash!

www.kyboatworks.com
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-30-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
sorry... it is on their myspace page.

www.myspace.com/kyboatworks
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
After watching the video riders need to make better judgments on what tricks they throw. The riders throwing ohh or landing half way down the pool should re think there trick list for conditions.
The action sport world(imho)is based on athletes pushing them selfs to do the seemingly impossible for fun. If you think about it what is safe about being pulled across a solid object at 20mph landing in a shallow pool, with nothing but a helmet on. But really to say that it needs to be safer I don't know that you can.

For S&G the landing pool would need to be 100ft+ long and equally as wide not to mention about 6-8ft deep.The pool would also need to be inflatable so if a rider comes off early or land on the pools edgethey are less likely to injure them selfs. Riders would have to wear wrist, chin guards, chest protectors, neck brace and helmet.

Lets start with 20inch foam padding on every sharp corner in the world.

:-)
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-31-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
spot on Greg.

Pro wakeboarders are like 3 year olds: they'll find a way to injure themselves on anything, regardless of how "safe" it's designed.

And you know that if we start throwing around the word "safe" too much in wakeboarding, people will start to get safety-crazy... then things will just get lame.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-31-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Good thing none of them could land anything off the kicker. If they would have, then there would have been a lot more injuries. That landing pool was terrible.
Old    kc700            01-31-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
Rathy is a beast!... Ive seen him take some punishment that would drop most folks, but he just keeps on going...hope hes back soon.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-31-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
The 3rd or so clip is when Aaron went out but they cut the clip short.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-31-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
man this winter must have really gotten to people. i have never seen so many people worried about being safe.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
The pool was fine the riders need to make better choices. Just because it hypes the crowed up does not mean do it. Spin of the kicker ok ohh over 3.5 ft deep water not the smartest choice.

"build it bigger and I will still go to the top"
Greg Warren
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-01-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
very true greg as i said above.