Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-30-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
So I went out for my second set of the season on Saturday. I landed my first w2w (heelside) of the season (I didn't land squat at the Maven session in Phoenix). Totally stoked that I landed the w2w so of course I head back across the wake to do it again. I jump and I land -- right on the second wake. At the exact moment that my right foot hit the wake, I felt a massive explosion of pain in my right knee. I went down. End of session.

Went to the doc today -- he thinks I tore my ACL. Nice. I did the left one two years ago snow skiing. I go in for my MRI on Wednesday and I'll get the results next Tuesday.

So. I'm just asking for everyone to send some good vibes my way. I can't imagine not riding this season. Let's hope that it's just a bad sprain and I'll be back on the water in a couple of weeks. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks all!

Jen
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-30-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
that totally sux!
i have my fingers crossed for you for sure.
let us know how it goes...

are you natural or goofy? (just curious).
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
i'm sending some good vibes your way! hopefully you'll be up riding soon. and congrats on the w2w!
Old     (junebug)      Join Date: May 2006       04-30-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
i hope everything goes well. good luck!!!!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-01-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
Alice -- I ride goofy.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I'll keep you posted!

On the bright side, if it is my ACL -- I've already been through it so I know what to expect.
Old     (deedee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
ahh good luck! Seriously warm thoughts -
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Oh man that sucks...I feel ya right now. I have a broken foot from softball and can't wait to get back out there. Haven't even had one session yet this year. Good luck w/ your recovery! Heal fast cause I'm sure there are more W2W's to come!

Jamie
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
Hope the MRI went ok...now we wait for results.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-08-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
soooo??
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
Survey says . . . Wakeboarding in one month! That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that I did, in fact, completely tear my ACL and I went even further and partially tore my LCL. When I do it, I do it good!

My doctor knows me well enough and fully understands the importance of wakeboarding season in my life. He is supportive of my endeavors and has agreed to let me try it out after a month of physical therapy. I will be fitted for a brace in the next week and then I go back to see him in a month. At that point, if everything checks out (strength, mobility), I can get back out on the water.

Now, am I going to have the season to end all seasons? Absolutely not. But I figure I can get damn good at riding switch and polish up all my surface tricks. I'll take it easy on the jumping. We'll just have to see how it goes. I may get out on the water and feel way too unstable. I'm just happy to hear that he's going to give me the okay to ride.

Thanks to everyone who was pulling for me! I feel really good about today and I'm looking forward to getting back out on the water.

Liz -- give me a call when you guys are headed out. I would love to get out on the water in the meantime . . . and I can start learning to drive while I'm in therapy!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-08-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
wow, sounds like you did a pretty good job! are you going to get surgery after the season is over? it's great that your doc is letting you ride - I just hope you can get to a point where it feels stable enough for you to be on the water. best of luck!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'll have surgery in the fall. It actually works out better that way for work as well. I would really be screwed at work if I had to take a 6 week vacation right now. We'll have a slight lull in the fall before we head into the holidays. I'll have the surgery then.

I have a great physical therapist -- the same one who worked with me when I had the other one done. I saw him today and he knows his mission and has chosen to accept it! Of course, if I get out on the water in a month and I'm just not feeling it . . . I won't push it. I don't want to cause more damage.

We'll see how it goes! I'm just happy that I have the option.
Old     (deedee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
What bindings do you have? you know i heard and read that liquid force has awesome bindings to prevent knee injuries because they have the canted foot bed that supports your arches, knees and hips. Although I am a wakeskater infact and DO appreciate LF skates, i have ridden wake boards and i READ the magazines and the buyers guide (dorky i know)also, my ex is a pro shop manager
i do know that they have come a long way technology wise and may help you you know. esp if you are working really hard to prevent further injury to a knee you will be walking on ALL your life ;) Good luck with the recovery! you will come back stronger than EVER i am sure:-)
http://www.liquidforce.com/archive/2005/binding_kids.htm - this link is from the '05 buyers guide (i just found it quickly) but they are only coming out with improvements. check it out!
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
ouch knee injurys suck so bad! I've been through a couple surgeries, ugh! My buddy jared just wrapped his knee around the rail pictured in my profile so he's needing surgery too!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
I really don't like my bindings at all. I've been looking into getting new ones so I definitely appreciate the info!

I'm looking forward to the season and when it's over I will be looking forward to rehab. When I had my other knee done, I was in, quite possibly, the best shape of my life when I finished physical therapy.
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-09-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
may i recomend the Nevin neopreme waterski brace? I've used alot of different braces and the Nevin is my favorite, only around 100 bucks, you can find it most boating catalougs like Overtons AndIts way better then the 1400 dollar exoskeleton brace the surgeon recomended!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check it out!
Old     (boardr2d)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-11-2007, 4:30 AM Reply   
dont need to be blowing knees but good vibes are always good, makes u want to try stuff
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Great news - my board meeting is NEXT Monday so I will be joining you on the boat when I get off work. Mike will call you to set up a meeting time/place. I think time on a boat counts for rehab. You get all that sunshine converting vitamin D for bones and all...maybe that will help with an ACL, too. :-)
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
I am SOOOOOOOO looking forward to being on the boat tomorrow! The weather has been gorgeous!

Had my first pt appointment on Friday. He's confident that I'll be good to go by the first week of June. So am I! But in the meantime, I'm MORE than willing to be the happy third!

See you tomorrow!