Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-30-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Happened to me last night. Was out for the second time in my boat. Started the evening at 3/4 tank. Rode a little then was at half a tank. Picked up a couple friends ran one more quick set and it went down to 1/4 pretty fast. I had my rider jump in, empty the ballast and started to head for the landing which was probably about a mile ride or so. Half way back the gauge just drops the rest of the way to E and seconds later the boat dies. Ugh! They thought I was joking as moments earlier they saw it a 1/4 tank too. Learning experience I guess. Cold one too, water temp was about 52 degrees and really windy. Had to jump back in and swim the boat toward shore. Finally a guy in about a 16 foot fishing boat with 25HP motor towed us the 500 yards or so to the landing. Does anyone else have a gas gauge that drops so fast after 1/2 tank? Mine's an 2002 X-star.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
happened 3 times last year. Fuel gauge didn't work. It's fixed this year.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-30-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
That sucks Bob, you might want to take it into the marina and get that checked out. It happens to me all the time, never any fun.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
I used to have an old tri-hull without working gas gauge. I've only run out on the lake once with that and it was pretty close to the boat ramp so no big deal. Usually I kept an extra 5 gallon can with me. If we ran out of gas, I put in the reserve gas and we headed back for the ramp.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Not in a boat, but in a tow vehicle...

I had a Chevy Silverado 2500 and the gauge used to drop really quickly in the last quarter - same with a friend's 2500 as well. Be warned all you 3/4 ton truck owners!
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-30-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I've never had my tank go below a reading of 1/2 but I know from 1/2 tank on reading I can put about 38-40 gallons in and my tank has a 53 gallon capacity. My math tells me that a reading of 1/2 is actually a 1/4 tank of gas. After a fill up I can ride around for an hour before my needle moves for the first time. Just to be safe I would assume when it says 1/2 you're done for the day.}
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Best fuel gauge on one of those boats is to open the round hatch in the floor (where the plug is) and look at the fuel tank an see how much is left. My gauge varies too much to trust but looking at the tank always works.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
I have run out within view of my dock and paddled back in. I try to not run with the gauge less than 1/4 tank as a general rule. In my experience, once it gets down to 1/4 tank, the gauge isn't as accurate.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-30-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
My friend and her mom did that last year. Sherif came and got them and made them all put on life jackets. lol they were all over 18 years old too which was funny.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-30-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
I've never run out of gas, but I get two readings--one when I'm sacked and one when I'm not. I've noticed when I'm sacked, my fuel gauge appears to show more gas than I actually have. It'll usually vary as much as a quarter. I don't know if you were sacked or not, but that may be what is "messing" with your gauge. Also, a friend of mine suggested to avoid consistently running any motorized vehicle under a 1/4 of a tank because that can, and probably will, cause fuel pump problems.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
My gauge has never worked. and even though I have a 33 gallon tank I run out of gas with 24 or 25 used up. I think that there is some sort of glinch with the 03 to 05 X2.
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Happened to me in an 04' X2, had about 1/8th of tank and was headed in for the night and about 1/4 mile out it just died. Got back to the dock and it would only take 25 gallons in the 33 gallon tank. I think it is a matter of where the fuel pick up is located in the tanks. So from now on if I dip below 3/8th of a tank I fill it back up. Definitely not a proud moment, but at least I got pulled in by another boat.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-30-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Happened to me the first damn day we got out X-30 last year. Dealer dropped it off, we went out with a full tank of gas (or so we thought). Ran out of gas about 1/2 a mile from home and had to get towed back.

Gas sender was broken, causing the gauge to read full even when there was no gas in it. Dealer never checked it, I just assumed they filled it up for us. Jerks.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
If you have a X-star/X2/X1 boat you will likely run out of gas at some point. If you are riding and the guage is reading 1/4 tank, you're done. It's an engineering defect in the shape of those gas tanks. As soon as you come off plane the fuel sloshes forward away from the fuel pick-up. Sometimes if you're luck you can fill the rear ballast, have people stand on the swim step and get the boat moving again. If it dies while you are on plane, then you aren't going anywhere.

After riding behind these boats for the last 5 years ask me how I know this.... LOL!!!
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-30-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
I have come close to running out of gas, but fortunately reached the marina in time to fill up.

On the other hand, my brother absent mindedly filled his 02 Malibu Wakesetter with diesel fuel. He got on the lake and the motor died soon thereafter. He and his crew were miserable for awhile, before they got a tow in. He hadn't realized he had filled the tank with diesel, until the dealer took the engine apart and discovered it. Needless to say, my bro didn't live it down for awhile. Vin Diesel
Old    petey20            04-30-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 X-star. Same thing happened to me the second time on the lake. Happened down at Lake Nacimiento, CA. Swam it to shore and paid a guy $20 for a full 5 gallon gas can...got to keep the can. Won't happen again :-)
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-30-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
I go off of hours not the fuel gauge. After 5 hours I need to find a gas station.

I ran out at Shasta 1 year.
Old    walt            04-30-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   

quote:

If you are riding and the guage is reading 1/4 tank, you're done.

I've been in a X-2 with the gauge less than 1\4 tank and it was still running. Not for long though.

That was the only boat I've ever been in that ran out of gas.

I just noticed my Sanger's sender is broke so maybe I'll be reposting soon.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2007, 3:30 PM Reply   
i ran out last friday!!! its sucks my dang guage in my malibu is broken so it pushed me to order one up today. i had to get towed in my a little seadoo jet boat.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-30-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Swam it to shore and paid a guy $20 for a full 5 gallon gas can...got to keep the can. Won't happen again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With gas prices these days I'd be more than happy to give somebody $20 for a 5 gallon can including the can!
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-30-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
Ronnie, I was sacked out when it said a quarter tank. I figured I drain the ballast before heading for the landing figuring I'd burn a little less fuel. Guess I probably would have been better off keeping the weight in it!
Old     (itsmebudro)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
I've ran out of gas several times on the boat and jetskies. Last year we were all the way on the other side of the lake and thought we had enough to get home because we didnt wanna wait an hour to get gas on the Fourth of July. When we ran out we paddled up to a someones dock and siphed gas out of theirs while it was still on the lift. This was not stealing we left 100$ and a thank you note in the console.

I wish I would have been on the other side of this deal a 100$ for about 10$ in gas.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-30-2007, 5:28 PM Reply   
I thought I was going to run out last week, so I grabbed a two-gallon can of gas and took it with me, but it never ran out. I squeezed eight hours out of a tank of gas on the mighty WakeWorld Wakesetter and, based on the next fill up, I had three more gallons in the tank. :-)
Old     (desertcajun)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-30-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
We usually keep a 3 gallon can on board just in case we run out of fuel or want to take the session farther. But usually we end up seeing at least one boater on the lake who has run out and needs help. I just usually give it up for beers or what I paid for it.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-30-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
Bob, that's what I thought and I don't think it would have made any difference. What I was trying to say is that the weight throws off the gauge for some reason, so when you're weighted, in most cases, your fuel gauge will show more gas than you actually have. When I am weighted and get close to a quarter of a tank, I know it's time to call it a day. I was lucky once. I noticed that once on the trailer (and unsacked on the water) that the gauge registered E but on the water and weighted, the gauge displayed 1/4 of a tank. Smaller inboards, however, normally do not have this problem.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
I've never run out but have learned (as others stated) the best fuel gauge is looking at the fuel level in the tank. I guess the MC fuel pumps are notorious for burning out if you run them too low, or out of gas. The fuel pump is in the tank and actually uses the fuel to keep them running cool (GM uses similar concept). Run it too low or out of gas and you run the risk of overheating the pump and dooming it to failure.
Don't trust the dash gauge...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
Walt, I remember the day!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-30-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
Oh wow, we have run out of gas several times... even with additional gas tanks in the boat. We just like to push it a little too far sometimes haha.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-30-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
friend of mine does it allllll the time.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-30-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
We ran out of gas once on an x2/x1... it was not mine though. Aaron Nielson was at the healm and I was on the rope... I think it was my fault because I stayed out there way too long. The wake was rockin and the delta was waaay too smooth to quit!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-30-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for giving us a pull BG!
Old     (padavi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-01-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
my family and i were coming back from a restaurant on the lake and ran out of gas about 300 yards from the dock. wind was kinda blowing so we thought if we waited it would eventually blow us in. we drifted for a half hour or so and all of a sudden the wind picked up and a huge storm came out of no where. We had to jump in the water and swim it to the lift but luckily we got in to our dock without any huge mishaps. gas gauge still doesnt work
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-01-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
....................which time!!!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-01-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
Running out of gas just flat sucks. Wrecks your day and the day of the poor SOB that has to tow you in. Be responsible and carry enough gas for the day. It's not that hard.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-01-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
Easy Dan, Sometimes crap happens. Gas gauges aren't totally accurate, especially when you run a lot of weight. If towing someone in ruins your day than don't do it. You obviously don't believe in Karma, and I hope it bites you.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, honestly sometimes things just happen out of one's control... I've been towed in, and I've towed others in. Its like an adventure that goes both ways :-)
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-01-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
Evan is 100% right. I get to 1/3 of a tank and I'm heading STRAIGHT in.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
Our gauge is the exact opposite. When we bought the boat (Malibu Sportster) I never asked the sales man how big the tank was. We ran the boat until the needle was at E and we only got about 20ish gallons in it. Coming from an outboard I thought that was normal. Turns out that there is almost 20 gallons of gas left when the needle is on E we were going to get it fixed but it will probably just end up on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2007, 6:16 AM Reply   
"Easy Dan, Sometimes crap happens. Gas gauges aren't totally accurate, especially when you run a lot of weight. If towing someone in ruins your day than don't do it. You obviously don't believe in Karma, and I hope it bites you."

My boat holds nearly 40 gal. Easily enough to ride all day long. I know how much fuel I burn in a typical day and about how much I burn per set I pull. I play a game with my crew as we fill up the boat after every outting, where we try and guess how much fuel it will take to fill up - it makes everyone more aware of our fuel consumption rate. We talk about how many sets we pulled, how far we had to run to get to our riding spot, how many people were in the boat adding weight, wind and other conditions, etc., and how that affected our fuel consumption that day.

Start with a full tank and don't run out. I'll say it again - it's NOT THAT HARD. A full tank is more weight anyway, so that's a plus isn't it? Why not fill up?

Being towed in because "crap happens" is one thing. Impellers fail, fuel filters get clogged, starters quit workinng - whatever. And you might need a tow. That is not what this thread is about. It is about running out of gas.

I did not say I wouldn't tow someone in if they needed help. In fact I am legally obligated to do so in my state, or at least to stop and offer help to a stranded boater. I have done it before and will do it again if necessary. Never mind I miss the first hour of morning butter, or that the idiot I towed managed to damage my boat, didn't offer to pay for the gas I burned dragging them to safety, or expected ME to swim their boat the last 100 feet to the ramp and didn't thank me for the help. Oh well - I did what I had to do. Hopefully that is helping my balance at the First National Bank of Karma (not that I am counting on that). How do you think your nasty wish that karma bites me is affecting your balance? Do YOU beleive in Karma?

I'll tell you what I do beleive - I beleive in controlling my destiny to the extent that I can. I beleive in starting with a full tank, knowing my rate of consumption and how long I can go on a fill up. I know I can generally pull my entire crew until their arms are ready to fall off on just about a half tank (maybe a little over half, and that is judged on actual amount of fuel used, not the gauge). Not running out of gas is an easy thing to control. There are plenty of other things to worry about without the added concern of running out of gas.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-02-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
Ran out of gas in an 06 x-1 last summer with it still showing over a 1/4 of a tank. I guess it is where the fuel pickup is located. Had to be towed in by a good ole wakesetter. I learned quickly the gage isn't accurate. The best way to check is to just look at the tank. I don't know about everybody else, but I don't have 120 to throw in the tank every time I go. I usually just keep it around half a tank, unless I am going to be out all day.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-02-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
That was my X2 w/ Atilla & ya like many others on here a 1/4 tank on a 05 X2 means head to the gas dock - LOL -

Atilla, I hope all is well bro & partly my bad too for pushing it & trying to give you a tour of Disco, Ski Beach, Twins, Vics, etc. LookN fwd to catching up @ CIE Spring Ride.

Lzy
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-02-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Really the only problem I have with my 05 x-2 is that the tank is too small. If you run it out of gas be careful that you didn't burn out the fuel pump as well. 1/4 tank means you're pretty much done. I always check the level in the tank by physically looking through the middle floor cap there. That's the only sure way in a boat to see how much gas you have.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
My Tige reads "Full" all the time, untill the last 1/8th of a tank or so. By then it's usually too late. I try to top it off every time I go out, that way I know that we can get 7-8 hours in on a full tank. I was left dry once last year and got pulled in by a Bass Boat. That really sucks. I was shocked this guy even stopped. Fishermen usually hate us wake makers.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yeah.... Not only do the X1/X2's have a problem with pickup location, but the tank is tiny, too (sad when 33 gallons is tiny... LOL!!). I had a 37 gallon tank in my Sanger with a guage that worked and I never got near running out of gas. The extra 4 gallons made the difference between running out of gas and getting that last pull at the end of the day. It used to get old having to head in right in the middle of the day for gas in the X2.
Old    wakejjboard12            05-02-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
'00 x-star several times... and 2 different '05 x-2's more than the x-star! paddles were necessity every weekend!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-02-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
out in the north delta after running out a couple times we now just have three 6 gallon utility jugs of gas in the boat everytime, we run til empty or close then pour in the jugs and head back towards the dock...of course we are running wfo most of the time too
Old     (tnctryboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-02-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
never ran out of gas but when I was a kid my dad and i were coming up the lake hit a roller wrong and blew a piece of the piston through the side of an out board.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
man i guess my little 22 gallon tank and my 4 cyl would have to be out a very long time the most i could ever burn was 15 gallons in a day but man that guage moves from 3/4 to 1/4 fast