Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-27-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Just started looking at boats this weekend. What are peoples opinions on buying a used boat instead of a entry level new boat. Example, Old Wakesetter vs a new VRide, or an old X-Star vs. X-1? I'd like to save a buck but, I don't want to buy a bunch of problems.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-27-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
It depends on your buget and what you really want. I really wanted a V-drive with a tower and ballast tanks, and couldn't afford a new one... (well I could have but then my wife would divorce me and I couldn't afford that) so I did alot of searching and bought a 2001 with 100 hours on it used for 20K (personally I think I robbed the guy). I've had to deal with some mechanical issues but the price tag way outwieghed the headaches.
Just my point of view.
of course if I were loaded I'd just go out and get my dream boat new, but I'm pretty happy with a used dream boat.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-27-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
My vote would be used. Whatever your budget is you will get more used boat than new boat for the money. Have it checked out by someone who knows their boats and if there are not any major problems you should be in good shape. Even if you have to fix a thing or 2 you should still be getting off cheaper than brand new.
Old    abadsvt            11-27-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I agree also that used is the smarter way but there is nothing better than a new boat with the new boat smell. Why don't you go in the middle. For example. If you wanted a new x1 why don't you look at an 06 or 05 x2 (same boat) with really low hours. They have already taken the big hit taking it off the lot and you can get that newer boat for less. Just an idea! Good Luck!
Josh
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-27-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Another vote for used. you can find year old boats fairly easily, with less than 100 hours for quite a bit less than brand new, and they still smell new. Most of the annoyign little things (leaky pumps, rattles, screws loose, ect.) that go wrong with boats will be fixed int the first year of ownership as well.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-27-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Another vote for used here to. I dont care what people say about boats, they are just like automobiles. THey loose value as soon as they leave the dealer.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-28-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Do you consider dealer left overs a good route or just used? If I go used. What is the best year model of the older boats? I know that 03 for a SAN 210. What about the X-Star/205, and Wakesetter?

(Message edited by midwesttex on November 28, 2006)
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-28-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
The SAN has had the same hull since 1997? I'd buy any year as long as it had factory ballast and tower.

Buy used, pay cash!
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-28-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
You only live once!!!!!!!!! Buy whatever you want!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-28-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Used... If you can buy the boat from a experienced seller, it's just as good as new (they will have taken care of all the "new boat" problems for
you!).

I got Avalanche 2 model years old (only change to the boat had been the vinyl) for over $20k under what it would have been new... the boat had been immaculately maintained, and we have not had an ounce of trouble with it.

SAN, aim for the 2003 (if you like the tower). Best of everything on this boat: old style tower and gelcoat (colored deck!!), new vinyl, new dash, new motor. The 2004 is also great, but has the 211-style tower, "bolder" graphics, and no option for top deck color.

Wakesetter is tough... the new hull that came in 2005 is SO much better. Aim for a 2003 if you can't swing a 2005 or later.

Xstar (1998-2002), X2 (2003-2005), X1 (2006-). I'd go 2001 on... the tower was BAD prior to that. The X-star in 2002 came really well loaded, and there are a ton of beauties out there. When it became the X2 in 2003, they cut a lot of the standard features from the boat. 2002 would be my year of choice.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-28-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
As mentioned it depends what you want. I bought a new boat in 2005 which cost me the same (maybe a little less) than what the used boats were at the time that I saw. The reason was that I took a little less "bling" to be in a newer boat. To me it was more important to have the extra warranty and know I've been the only one to "abuse" the boat than it was to have a bunch of things I didn't need like heaters, hot water shower, tower speakers, etc.

It really comes down to what you want. Obviously you will take more of a depreciation hit buying new but you'll also have more warranty and peace of mind that your boat wasn't abused.
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-28-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
To be serious, buy used! I've bought 2 boats now, and about to buy my 3rd, and all have been used or demo! You can get a good deal on any boat, obviously since its winter! I'm still working on my new/demo deal trying to get a new hoist thrown in! I would shoot for a demo X-1!! Good Luck!
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-28-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Talked our family into buying a used 05 Wakesetter VLX over a new v-ride, best decision we could have made.