Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-21-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
Those who don't know me - I am 44 - 6'3" - 300 Lbs and very active. Wakeboarding is my passion and been riding since 1995 which includes inverts and spins (so not real easy on my joints. I had both knees scoped in '95 and pretty much had left knee pain most of my life.

It has really bothered me last 6 months or so and I can not really do any exercise. Yard work, playing with kids and such leaves me in pain and swelling. Now the pain is riding up into the quad and burning as well. Been to (2) doctors and (2) surgeons in the last month. Did MRI and Xrays and PT. They have had me ton of anti-infalms and than Vicodin for days of bad pain.

The consensus:

The structure and ligaments of the knee are all pretty sound and do not require work.
The issue is the lack of cartilage and bone rubbing on bone in some areas. Also The cartilage that is there is frayed which causing the popping, grinding and inflammation.

There are two options at this point (knee replacement is not an likely option at my age and activity)

1.Get an Synvisc injection to help lubricate the joint. This is kind of like super thick motor oil and just helps the knee moving better. This might help the overall pain, but it is a temporary solution that may last from a month to two years. She said it will likely help, but it may not have any affect. I read lots of mixed reviews.

2. Arthoscopy. Go in there and take out the shreds and lose cartilage and check out everything else to make sure there is nothing that the MRI did not show. It is a out patient surgery like I did in '95. I would be on crutches for about a week and than resume sports in about a month. She believe she can get me in the next two weeks. Once again this is a temporary solution, but should reduce much of the pain and the grinding and such. She though that it would likely buy me about 5 years until I would be in a similar situation. Who knows where medicine might be in 5 more years.

If I do the shots and they only last a month or two, than I am going to be smack in the middle of my summer season. if they buy me 4-6 months than I will be right in the middle of many big plans we have. Possibly that would not happen and it would get me through to winter.

If I do the surgery now, I would be off exercise until roughly middle of may or so. That would give me enough time to get my butt in shape and also be ready for summer and my travels.

So I am leading towards the surgery. I am needing to do some more research of course on both methods and talk to guys that have been through it for sure.

I look to my WW'ers for thoughts or advice. Getting old sux! Oh and save the lose weight you fat ass and stop wakeboarding cause you sound like my doctors