Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-14-2012, 8:45 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a new lawn mower and need some input on what the better brands are these days. I got 10 years out of my last mower ad I'm sure technology has improved since I bought my last one. Here are a couple of my "wants" for a new mower:

- Prefer gas powered
- Do not like self propelled
- Want a mulching mower, but a bag as well
- Non-carb option looks appealing

Any direction would would appreciated!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2012, 10:34 PM Reply   
It will be extremely hard to find something that is not self propelled. I say go with the Honda.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-15-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
Look around and see if you can find an older 2-stroke Lawn-Boy (you'll have to look around on CL or classifieds because they don't make them anymore). The new Lawn-Boy's are good, but the older ones are beasts. They are self-propelled, but just don't use the handle and you can push it manually. My buddy is a commercial lawn guy and that's all he uses for a push mower.
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-15-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
We bought our Honda 2 years ago, It always starts on the first pull. It was a little more pricey than some of the other brands, but well worth the money in my opinion.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-15-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
I currently have a self propelled Honda (8 years old) and a no-name brand with a Briggs & Stratton engine (10 years old).

I like the way the Honda cuts, but It's already been in the shop for a new carb, and now the self propell is not working. It still runs, but it's very heavy and difficult to push without the self propelled motor working. I really don't want to throw more money at an 8 year old mower. My other mower still runs like a top and is very easy to push, but the gas tank has sprung a leak. Again, don't really want to throw money at a 10 year old mower.

I'm wanting to shy away from self propelled because that is just one less thing to break down the road. I've looked at all the mowers at Lowe's and Home Depot and they are all really heavy mowers and seem pretty pricey. I'm about to head up to Sears and check out some Craftsman mowers. They seem to offer the same high end features as the $400 mowers at about $250.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-16-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
I gave away my ~2004 Honda to get rid of it, and replaced it with ~2007 Lawnboy ... and was glad I did.

Honda makes great motors (I'm on my 3rd Honda car) but the design of a mower deck is a different design challenge.

My Honda was easily choked by early Spring thick grass. The mower deck had all these un-needed nooks and crannies which just caught and held grass clippings, and provided an initiation site for grass 'stalagmites' under the mower deck.

The shop I take my mower to change oil and plugs, and sharpen blades, likes a different brand better (Toro ?!?!).

But all that is history for me. Lawn service ... oh yeah.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-16-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
The self-propel on my Lawnboy works to this day. There have been no problems with it.

This spring, my grass needed cutting at the end of February ???

My lawn service guy was late getting a start on the lawn (our warm winter surprised him too).

So I went out after his first cut, raked up the soggy matted cuttings to let them dry a little (like hay), and then went back over it with my grass catching bag.

He is now caught up.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have a Toro Lawnmower but it is self propelled. I bought it for that feature but mostly the mulching so I didn't have to bag anymore. Works great for my +3,000 sqft of lawn
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-16-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
I ended up going with this one from Sears for $225:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

It has the same engine as their top of the line $500 mower, just without all of the extra crap I didn't want. Without all the extra stuff this thing is SO much lighter than my old Honda. Because it is so light maneuvering it while mowing is so much easier than with my old mowers. The lightness really makes up for not being self propelled. I testes it out yesterday literally an hour after it stopped raining. It handled the wet grass like a hot knife through butter; no clumps, no nothing. And that was mulching without the bag.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2012, 2:27 AM Reply   
It'll run forever. Good choice. No bs to break.

I bought a $250 mower 10 years ago thinking it would be disposable. I can't kill the thing. Starts first pull. Finally did a tune up last year. Runs like a top.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2012, 5:49 PM Reply   
I have to have self propelled..but as long as it has a briggs you should be fine. I wouldnt buy any mower that didnt have a briggs. Add SP to the one richard linked and it would be perfect.If you go without SP make sure it has the big wheels in the back. Really helps with turning.
I bought a Troy-Bilt 21in cut W/ SP with a 6.5hp briggs 10-11 yrs ago from Lowes.It was the cheapest SP they had. I got tired of wasting my money on the hondas and lawn boys. The thing runs like the day I got it starts every time first pull. I changed the oil once in the first year..and put and airfilter in it about a year ago. The only thing that ever caused me a problem was the saftey handle cable (you know the one you have to hold to keep it running) well it frooze up and I couldnt pull it to let the mower start. So I took the cable apart and ran some oil through the cable..good as new. Here in Fl I have to mow atleast once a week. And it always some thick stuff. I dont bag thats a pain in the azz..but it multches fine and I think its got lots of years left in her.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-22-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
I know you said you prefer GAS. But the Toro E-Cycler works great. I've had mine for almost 2 years now... only issue i had was a wire came loose on a battery terminal. Has enough power to mow my lawn twice after each charge.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
Used to work in commercial lawn care in HS and college. Got about 8 years under my belt.

We used exclusively Honda (although commercial grade) walk behinds. I have a Craftsman myself (gift) but when it dies - I will go Honda, no question.

If you want it self propelled - dont use that lever ;-)
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
My mower runs just fine. I need somebody to chase the damn thing around yard?!?! Kids are about useless...
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-26-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
speaking of lawn, not to bad for Utah in April:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us