Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-23-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
does anybody have a a good recommendation for an amp under 350$ to power the three some setup?
I looked at the kicker zx850.4 would this work? Any ideas would be great thanks
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-23-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
alpine pdx 4.150
mmatts sq 4.175
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       02-23-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Check the classifides craig glass has a cadance amp for a gooprice that would power that package.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-23-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Profile 1200 will be about $150.

It has a 75 amp fuse, so it can probably realistically push up to 300WRMS per channel.

The golden formula for amps is:

Fuse size X (1-Fuse Headroom) X Efficiency X Voltage=Total Power

This will tell you how much power you'll get out of it in reality.

Fuse size on the 1200 is 75A
Headroom on those California amps is about 25% (which means it's fuse rating is about 25% higher than the max current it will draw, this is a pretty average number)
Efficiency on a Class AB is about 70%
Voltage is 14.4 in a running boat

Those numbers work out to 567W, which will be plenty to push your 3 some.

I use nothing but those profile amps because they are so cheap! I sprayed them with a conformal coat and they have lasted for years with no issues. For the record I quit buying expensive amps when I was about 19, it's like buying expensive clothes, a total waste of money just to look cool. Amp technology is pretty stable and has been for a while now, as far as class AB amps go (which are the best sounding amps for sure).

They use regulated power supplies and classic topology.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-23-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
Joe there is a huge differnce in quality between a $100 flea market amp and a high end $800 amp. And typically they don't even look "cool".

class AB are closer to 50% effecient.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-23-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
respectfully disagree Sam

actually, they are closer to 25% efficient during normal listening, but I use the max efficiency to determine the power it makes before it clips.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-23-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
I have a hifonics powering a pair of pro 60's and was thinking about adding a 485. I personally wouldn't do one amp for all of it. I was intending on getting another amp to power the 485. I can honestly say the alpine vs hifonics the hifonics kicked the <expletive> out of a "comparable" powered alpine (my opinion). The hifonics zxi6006 was considerably cheaper than the alpine pdx-2.150 too.

That being said, I am in no way any sort of an audiophile or electrical engineer. There are others on the site who are more qualified to answer (and quantify their opinions). Until I made the swap I was like Sam above and of the impression I needed to drop a grand on an amp to make these speakers sound how I wanted. But like I said I am an average Joe looking to have loud music that doesn't fizz and pop.

http://tinyurl.com/c2pcho
Get 2 of those bridge the one going to the 485. Just over $300 to your door.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
I've heard the Hifonics will put out some power but the sound quality is less than stellar. Any input from Hifonics users past and present?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-23-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
Old school hifonics are real good. The new stuff isn't all that good.

Pro60's don't need a lot of power to be loud.

I have an Mmats sq4150 for sale...great shape.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
I personally would be more inclined to spend more money on a good amp over buying an expensive set of speakers and a budget amp. I know it may be too late, but for me it makes more sense to get decent speakers and a kick butt amp.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-24-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
I have a hifonics zx8008 amp powering my 4 wetsounds xs 650 and a 12" polk Db series sub and they sound great in the boat! didn't state before but the amp would be my second amp Im not sure if that matters at all but I am trying to stay away from getting a third amp

thanks again to all

(Message edited by smuurph84 on February 24, 2009)
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-24-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
I like the idea of staying with hifonics and adding two amps but what would this do to my battery? I have a second battery now with the relay switch how long would it last without starting the boat? or would it be the same as adding one larger amp

thanks again for all the input
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-24-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
Find a good deal on the cadance. i used these a few times before wetsounds came out with there amps at the recommendation from tim at wetsounds. never heard of them before i talked to him but i went with them and they sounded great.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-24-2009, 11:23 PM Reply   
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=12 0

$250, new, with warranty

I run two of these, one to my 6 boat speakers, one to my Pro 485s. On my third summer with no issues.

They make funny little noises when the sound is turned all the way down, you can only hear it when it's quiet in the garage.

Cadence or Crossfire are also options but you don't get the efficiency benefits with class A/B amps.

I ran a HiFonics ZX6400 for the first few months I had my Pro-485s, it did a pretty good job. I had it mounted upside down, it shut down a few times from the heat so I replaced it with the Avionixx. The Avionixx seems to have a bit more power than the HiFonics, but not much.