Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-29-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
Man I hope this looks OK. I’ve got some tools but I don’t have adobe. I think that I’ve built a pretty decent flyer for the Scioto Wakefest. Jerry Price sent some art and I tried to have some one convert the .ai art for me but they couldn’t do it. I need black and white art for the flyer and for the event T-shirt.

I made a couple B&W Stixx logos, but I’m not sure they came out all right. OK, I should email Jerry, and I will what do you guys think about this art?

The original art
Upload

There too much detail for a T-shirt in the original
A gradient might not work on a T
Upload
Is this B&W look OK?
Upload

An original photo
Upload

Kokopeli Stixx
Upload
Upload
The original Wakefest Kokopeli
Upload

(Message edited by Bigshow on March 29, 2007)
Old    surfdad            03-30-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
I vote for yor last rendering before the original Kokopeli. IMO, the original logo in B&W doesn't communicate the stixxmon unless you are familar with it, while the aerial and block letters communicates pretty effectively.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Right, I think the one with the Stixx name on the bottom of the board will print well on a T-shirt and look good on the flyer.

This is the last thing I need to clear beforwe I issue the press reelase - My bad - not Jerry's.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Right, I think the one with the Stixx name on the bottom of the board will print well on a T-shirt and look good on the flyer.

This is the last thing I need to clear before I issue the press release - My bad - not Jerry's.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       03-30-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
I LIKE THEM ALL!!!!!! "Dred the Shred" does too!!
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-30-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Yep the one with the guy busting the air with Stixx on the bottom. If we can't make it to the Scioto fest where can we get a shirt?
Surf More/Work Less!
Wadd$
Old    surfdad            03-30-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
I like that logo a bunch, but you can't do a "Kokopeli Stixx" unless you also do...

Kokopeli Walker Project
Kokopeli Inland Surfer
Kokopeli AWSA :-)
Kokopeli etc.

Right? The "Wakefest Brand" connected SOLELY with the Shred Stixx Brand is probably not good for future donations from other manufacturers. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
How's this?
Upload

Jeff, I think that's a kind of praise, other sponsors would want the logo and pull out if they didn't get it. Maybe I should quit the day job, let me think about it.... nope I look forward to the check too much.
Old    mobster            03-30-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Here is my 2 cents worth Upload
Old    surfdad            03-30-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
That's a cool idea, J.L. then no one is offended. Leave it to the man with the creative talent!

Is something like that doable, Ed? A huge Koko guy and then the sponsor's sort of embedded in it like J.L. has done?

Or, just use Jerry's logo from the top of the samples, like everyone else?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
JL's idea treads on Jerry's art.

Here's the wakefestflyer without sponsor logos, you can see tons of room for logos at the bottom.
Upload
Old    mobster            03-30-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
I was just showing an example your next logo looks good just paste in a thumbnail of shred stixx ,inland surfer logos, you know the drill good work & good luck with the event
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
I'm still working ideas here, here's another one that helps Jeff with his affliction.
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Jerry emailed and said he was cool with just about anything that I had. But, taking Jeff’s concerns to heart I reduced the logo to a Stixx surf board shape and Stixx name spelled in bonz. I think this art will work much better on T shirts and on the wakefest flyer.

I'm going to get going and get the press release out.
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
OK, the flyer is done.
Upload
Old    surfdad            03-30-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
Hey Ed, did you reposition my feet on that board? There is something about that PFD that looks funny too...wait, my nose isn't that big...is it? :-)

Love the final flyer!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
Johnny W. I really haven't considered sending T-shirts out to surfers across the country, I’m flattered that your interested. Last year I sent a few left over Ts to sponsors, to be honest I'm don't recall if I had enough to send out to every one, I might have missed Jerry.

The Walkers are coming out to Wakefest, California’s a big state, I don’t know if your likely to bump in to them or not, maybe I could send an extra back with them.

Zach Lear, see the Inland Surfer Benevolence thread, is involved with Vert Clothing, I’m not sure if that’s his brand or some one he’s working with. Vert will be printing Wakefest Ts this year at cost; I’ve put the Vert logo on the flyer in recognition of the support.

Here are a couple of pictures of last years T.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Well I have to work on getting the press release out and designing the 2007 T.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-02-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Hey Chase;
That looks just like you !
Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-08-2007, 4:38 AM Reply   
Just one basic hint,

to make logo (or any graphic shape) nice, clean and recognazible it MUST work SAME in very small and as in big size too. Just print it very small (cca 10 mm in diameter - bussines card size) alone on paper and watch if everything is clearly readable (text and all shapes) if any shapes merge together its wrong and you just must make shapes thinner and gaps bigger. (or move them)

2nd hint
leave inaf space around text and logos (safe zone) so every shape can "breath" alone. (like Shred Stixx text inside board is too big) Just dont stuck them too close, so eye can catch them separately.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-08-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
Petr,

Those sound like good suggestions.

I traced the Stixx bones from the original “Dred the Shred” art. I also traced the Stixx board (rider, Chase, too). So the art is traceable back to original Stixx sources. Removing the Kokopelli “hair” should isolate the Wakefest art from Stixx art.

I had art from Jerry but it was either in a .bmp or .ai. One of my problems is I don’t have standard tools for this work, I have MS Visio, a kind of CAD tool, I don’t have Adobe Illustrator. I’ve done OK with Visio, keeping the art all black and white helps.

The font and font spacing is the same as in the Dred the shred art. The traced art is in vector format so it scales proportionally. The font would be no better or wore than the original, but the fine lines are gone and contrast should be much better.

I’ve been told by T-shirt printers to avoid fine lines, colors and complex designs. Jerry’s Stixx art, while very cool, was just too complex for me to deal with, this is just a hobby for me.

Here’s my Wakefest T-shirt front and back art:

Front
Upload

Back
Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-11-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
hmm back is back (beware of Shred Stixx surf tip is hurting surfer!), but for front I tried something more balanced Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-23-2007, 4:57 AM Reply   
Here's the T-shirt proof that Zach sent last night
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-23-2007, 5:00 AM Reply   
Here's the T-shirt proof that Zach sent last night. I have to firm up a last minute sponsor and modify the art a little.
Upload
Old     (fishondryland)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
I love Kokopeli artwork. I have stuff all over my house that has the Kokopeli design. :-)