Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       11-02-2009, 9:21 PM Reply   
Looking for some advice on what board to buy. This will be the first wakesurfer for us and ideally needs to be usable by adults from 130 - 180 pounds.

Any suggestions on good starter boards?

Thanks,
Matt
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-03-2009, 12:49 AM Reply   
Have a read through these threads and see if they help at all:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/741813.html?1256312885

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/724170.html?1250023132

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/718255.html?1248544676

Usually for starters people will stick with the big name brands. They don't make great long-term boards, but they are easy to start with and generally get people hooked on the sport after a couple rides.
Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       11-03-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
Thanks Andrew. I had read those threads. When you say big name brands are you referring to Hyperlite, CWB etc?
Old     (dgreene)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-03-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Hey Matt don't know if you were looking at tsunami but just put one up for sale on the site. That was my first board and it is fun anyone can ride it also. if you are interested let me know. Thanks
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-03-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
Wow, you are going to get a million different answers on this one. I've only made it through 4 boards at this point...and yes, your response is probably what he means. The real issue is that with whatever you buy, you will probably feel the urge to progress to something new quickly...however I always try to keep something solid for beginners on my boat.

I've been on the LF Venture, IS Yellow Loogey, Phase 5 Oogle, and Phase 5 Prop. Favorite board to throw under anyones feet first....the Oogle. The LF Venture was a beast and luckily I borrowed it for a season for a friend. The yellow was tough for everyone.

I havent tried any of the "surf" style boards that a lot of folks are riding these days. Some good guys on here who have ridden many MANY boards and I am sure they will chime in.

Tell us what your budget is too!
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-03-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Hey Matt,

I started with a Hyperlite Broadcast. Nice big board that'll get anyone up, and having a good time. I'll still ride it for kicks every now and then too. For the big manufacturers, I meant Liquid Force, Hyperlite, Inland Surfer, etc. Those all have boards you can get into pretty easily, especially LF and HL.

While a lot of people will speak down on the boards that LF and HL make, they bring a ton of riders into the sport.

(Message edited by taft on November 03, 2009)
Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       11-04-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
Thanks guys - think I'm going to follow Andrew's advice since boards from those mainstream guys seem to be a little better priced for started boards also.