Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-29-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
I have two pro 80s on my tower with two polk DB651s in fiberglass cans, my question is should I swap out the DB's for 1 485 or should I just swap out the DB's for the xs 650's how much difference would there be? rms for two 650's would be 110 to each and rms to 485 would be 440, just want to get some peoples input before I drop an extra 600 bucks for a 485
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-29-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
murph,

It depends on just how much more output you are after. If you are happy with the output you have now and just want a little more. The XS-650 are going to be the ticket. The DB are a nice speaker but the XS-650 is going to have more mid bass and more output on the high end. Plus the power handling is a bit more. But still being a car audio based speaker. So it is not going to be a night and day difference.

So if you have the power for the 485. And you are wanting a lot more output. A LOT MORE!! The 485 is going to be a night and day difference.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-30-2009, 4:03 AM Reply   
thanks as always tim, If there is one thing I have learned from stereo up grades it is to do it right the first time
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-30-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Murph,

The XS-650 is a fantastic in-boat speaker! However, it won’t keep pace with your 80’s. If you balance the output then you’ve restrained the 80’s. The only upgrade to consider would be to stay in the tower speaker family with a Pro485 (3-some) or another pair of Pro80’s.

Hold out if necessary and do it right. Also, your optimum choice could be dictated by your current tower amplifier. Consider this as part of the equation.

David
Earmark Marine