Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
how many know people that have broken bones on a crow...my buddy did yesterday. it was a perfect day out until that...one of the sickest crows i have seen and it was the first time he tried it. I knew tantrums were pretty notorious for injuries but not crows...i know it hurts my confidence. I have been trying tantrums but it def makes me second guess it...I need to get back on the water quick
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-19-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
I hurt my knee on a scarecrow attempt gone wrong this past weekend. I have been waiting to see if it would get better with a little time and rest before having it looked at by a doctor. I think I got lucky, but I am still limping around a little. That trick has been kicking my butt forever. Sorry to hear about your friend's accident.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Most of the tib/fib fractures I have seen on this website have been on crows. I think it is a combination of the compression and the twisting motion that causes it. Hope your buddy gets well soon.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-19-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
August 2000. Broken Tibial Plateau. 2 60mm screws. Landed on my butt with legs straight towards the boat. No walking for 3 months. Tough to sit on the couch when you have ADHD. Its never been the same.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-19-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
Mine has never been the same. 4 screws.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-19-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Yikes. It always sounds like crows and HS fronts do the most bone breaking damage. I just learned crows recently and was surprised that I didn't tear up my knee with some of the falls I had coming up short.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Blown knee on a crow in Oct 2006 here.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-19-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
me+crow=tib/fib aug '03
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
I fractured my fib just above the ankle 4 weeks ago from a crow and I have been landing that trick for a while.
Old     (dustin_w)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
Are you guys coming out of the bindings when you fracture or tear something?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
Dustin: I did not come out of my bindings and it really isnt a contributing factor to the injury (if I am picturing the fall correctly).

Generally I think the fall is bad because most people take the trick big(er) and over-rotate just enough to land straight legged which puts all the pressure on the knee joint and tib fib. I was probably VERY close to a tib fib fracture as well since I had a massive bone bruise and even "dented" the top of the knee joint where the tib fib are.

Honestly I blew my knee out because I was riding over my head. I was an "invert boy" without any real spins or control of the board or my body in the air. This didn't occur to me until I started working on basics and spins as a result of the injury.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
I'm getting more and more scared of the crow with all these. Land it all the time, but def be freaking now.
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
No, my front foot on landing was turned inward in my 3DS bindings. Getting the bindings off was as fun as the fall.
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
M-Dizzle is correct that my injury occured by trying to go as big as possible, over-rotating and landed with all my weight on my lead foot.

I, like M-Dizzle, am also an "invert boy" without any real spins or great control. I am going back to the basics and style once my ankle is well.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-19-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
on the landing my front foot came out of the binding when the tail contacted the water. so yes I was 1 foot in 1 foot out.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
Have had 2 friends break thier ankle on the crow. One did it on a regular and one a switch. They both set the board down first and thier bodies never made it around so the the weak spot will be the tib/fib or ankle of the leading foot upon landing. Sucks though, I am still going to pt for an acl, meniscus, and tib fracture thanks to a heel 5 gone way wrong.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-19-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
Dang...I thought these were one of the 'safer' inverts. Had them solid last year and now they are starting to work me and this post isn't helping the confidence any.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
what you guys are describing on here is exactly what happened. He went huge over rotated, and just stuffed straight legged. I sear I can still see it in slow motion. One of the sickest ones I have seen though...I don't think i will be trying them anytime soon. ( don't get paid enough) haha
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
For those scared of the crow I would suggest maybe a TS OLE off 5. I learned OA 5's and crow's before I blew my knee. When I came back I landed a handful of crows just to get back over the mental barrier but am moving back to try and take it ole 5 instead. So far it feels like I can take the crow and throw it more and more out the back with a handle pull in the trough to get close. Whether or not this is right I have no idea but its a transition I made away from the crow in still keeping the TS trick on the list of sorts. I am definitely keeping the trick wake to wake.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-19-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
I've heard of a lot/seen more injuries from crows than tantrums. I had a liz-franc (joint dislocation fracture) in my foot and a torn ligament at the joint from a crow gone wrong last year. I had the trick consistent, just took one a little flat on a big wake, didn't fully rotate the 180 and my foot twisted inside the binding. Needless to say, I didn't walk for about 4 months and needed a screw in my foot which eventually came back out. Haven't started doing them again yet, but I am planning on it.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
The Byerly Boot Break was a scarcrow wasn't it?
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-22-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
go big or go home right?
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-22-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I had a pretty bad crash learning crows in '03. Came down and my femur compressed into/through my knee to my tib/fib thus breaking both my tib and fib as well as tearing my miniscus and slightly tearing my mcl. It was a very weird/freak accident. Its never been exactly right since.