Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-10-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
OK- I'll do my best to describe this, but I have an Extreme Tandem Axle trailer that lately, when I back down the ramp ( which is in very poor condition) the pivot joint for the leaf springs 0- it's a bracket that connects both leaf springs between the tires to the trailer body- pivots to the point that one of connecting pieces for the leaf spring flips over, pinning the pivot joint tightly against the trailer body. This can't be good for the trailer, leaf springs, etc as all of the bumps in the road are carried up into the trailer body instead of distributing through the spings. Is there some sort of problem with the srpings or something that is causing this or is it just the crappy ramp?!? Anyone else seen this? I don't see any damage to the springs, but getting them flipped back is very tough- I have to use a 2 ton jack and FORCE the pivot around until it flips- again this can't be good for the springs. Thoughts??
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-10-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Will,
I know exactly what you are talking about. I've had my trailer do this as well. I also have an Extreme Tandem Axle trailer. Mine will only do it when the boat is not on the trailer and I hit a pot hole or bump and the trailer bounces and the bracket flips.

I had the same issue with my other trailer which was also a tandem axle.

I just chalked it up to the trailers needing the wait of the boat to stop this.

So anytime the boat is off the trailer I make sure to drive a little slower and watch the pot holes and bumps.

It is a pain to get it to flip back once it flips over though. I have used a jack and sometimes I would run the old trailer over the curb to flip it.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-10-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
is there anything you can do about it? Or does it cause any damage?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-10-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
In many years of launching boats I have never had this happen. And ramps don't get much worse than the one I launch at regularly.

Does the bracket flip as a result of a tight turn, or from a wheel coming off the ground? I have seen where a really tight turn while backing can really put a twist in the axles. I have seen springs break in that situation but never a bracket flip.

I would say that something isn't set up properly on your trailer. How old is it?

Rod