Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (blitzpb)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
Im trying to work on getting more pop and more air off of my jumps. One thing I dont quite understand is if I should be cutting all thr way through the wake so that I am pushing off the lip with my edge dug in, or if I am supposed to flatten the board as I hit the wake (snowboard like). Also, how perpendicular to the wake should I be? Should I be hitting the wake straight on (again snowboard like, 90 degrees to the wake)or will I be angled at the wake.

Thanks
Nick
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-22-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Edge all the wake through the wake.
Old    tulsawakebrdr            02-22-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
stay low and when you get to the wake stand up....like you going to stand on the wake.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
it depends on what trick you're doing. for spins you have to lay up a bit at the wake, but for bigger tricks like raleys and stuff, edge through it.
Old     (blitzpb)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
I assume, then, that for the spins you should flatten it up at the very last instant in order to keep the line loaded as long as possible?
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-22-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
No no no, listen to Hahn, you always want to edge all the way through the wake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-22-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
no where does it say in here to flatten out...

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip001.asp

quote:

No no no, listen to Hahn, you always want to edge all the way through the wake.

not on tantrums, whirlys, moby dicks.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
See, from what i've been tough (and have gotten down) is that when you let up just before the wake, what happens is that since you've been loading the line hard into the wake, when you've let off near the wake (last 2-3 ft), you creat a little bit of slack in teh rope, which is what makes it easier to throw a bigger spin. Not a lot of slack, just a small bit, enough to make that handle pass easier. It's what i've been taught by a hyperlite sponsored friend of mine and what has helped me to throw down my spins. as for the bigger tricks like the railey...if you edge through the wake, it keeps your momentum going, so when you load up the line, it just keeps going and yuo get that pop with the speed to go big and to the flats.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
sorry, when i say flatten, i don't mean all teh way board flat. I mean ease off from your hard edge.}
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
like i said though, this is what's worked for me and the sponsored guy i ride with. It may not work for others.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-22-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
I was going to throw that in there Joe, but I didn't want to have to explain the whole trick flip thing.

horvy - Why not hold a nice steady progressive edge, that way you don't have to ease off? Just a thought..

Nick - The best thing for you to do is learn a progressive edge, nothing will help you accomplish you goal more than that.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-22-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
This is from the WakeWorld FAQ page.

Q. How do I get bigger air off the wake?

A. An important element to getting more air has a lot to do with edging all the way through the wake. A common problem is that as you approach the crest of the wake, most people ease up the pull and flatten out the board- that is the worst thing you could do and here's why. By easing up on the pull, you take away most of the tension the rope has built up and significantly reduces the force generated that snaps you into the air. This is what is referred to as "loading the line"- building tension on the rope with the pull, your body, the board, everything! Then once that tensions releases, that force springs you higher and further to more of what you are looking for - BIG AIR! Next time you go out and try for bigger air, remember that a rider's maximum speed should be at the TOP of the wake- not as you first make the cut or anytime in-between. The best approach is to start with a gradual turn into your carve, dig that edge in as you build up speed toward the wake, accelerate all the way through and hold on until you get lift-off. Don't forget to spring off the top of the wake by extending your knees- this additional downward push on the board right before you leave the wake creates more lift and the kind of "pop" that generates better air. Might take some getting used to, but once you put all these together and work on the timing- you will be amazed!

Also check this link out: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/173129.html?1086477612
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
Ya, that's true...I guess just for my riding style, keeping the progressive edge didn't work out for me. This way i was guaranteed an easier handle pass from the bit of slack. I'm no pro or anything, still learning like anybody else, advice is always taken! Thanks!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-22-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
Set your body position while in the flats before you begin your progressive edge. Your body position shouldn't change until your in the air. Edging doesn't mean squatting. Apply pressure you your heels "without squatting" and hold that edge all the way up and through the wake.

There are a number of pro riders that do not do this. Watson for one squats into the wake a lot. That doesn't mean it will work for you. Fundamentally speaking the above mentioned technique should give you what you're looking for in "POP"
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-22-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
To answer nicks original question, here is the formula for bigger air:
Huge air = speed + pop.
Through using a progressive edge, and edging all the way through the top of the wake, you will build speed and line tension.
To get pop, extend (straighten) your legs as you leave the wake. Note: this becomes harder (both harder to time, and harder to push) with the more speed you generate.

Horvy,
Different things work for different people, so different points of view are always welcome.
The general advice that i have heard is that the slack for your handle pass should be generated by pulling the handle to your hip to initiate the spin (also know as "advancing on the boat").
B