Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    wakeboardn4life            02-12-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
does anyone have the 05 ultras if so how do they ride, hold, pressure points, release, any input on the 05's would be great thanks
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-12-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
I don't have any input on the '05's but I've ridden the '02's, 03's and '04's and I loved them all. They get better every year. The hold is really good, and the new material on the inside (neoprene with lycra over it) is the most comfortable material out there right now. Way more comfy than any rubber no matter how soft. I didn't have any hot spots or pressure points after I broke them in, they are kind of a bitch to get off, but once you figure out the technique they're not that bad. I think that with the molded heel and toe pieces, that problem won't be as bad.

what kind of foot shape do you have?

Old    wakeboardn4life            02-12-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
somewhat wide but not that wide i ride XL 05 alphas right now and there awesome no pressure points or hurtting at all and ive always wanted to try the ultras and im getting a new setup on monday so i thought i would get them
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-12-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
I tried the Alphas for one weekend, when they first came out and I felt like I couldn't get them tight enough. Keep in mind that I was coming from my Ultras. I was wearing a Large in both. After that I went in the shop and tried on the medium alphas and they seemed to fit better.

If I were you I would just stick with the alphas, unless you're not getting the hold down that you want.
Old    wakeboardn4life            02-12-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
yeah well im gunna get them cuz its a killer deal so i can't pass it up but thanks for all the input
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-12-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
alright, well I hope you like 'em. I can't wait to get mine.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-13-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
i have the 03 ultras and they're great. once you break them in and learn how to get out of em.
Old    wakeboardn4life            02-16-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
how is the release on the 05 ultras also if you have the 04's how do they release will i rip the threads out on my board if i take a bad spill and don't eject out of the bindings
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-17-2005, 6:07 AM Reply   
the 04s release fairly easily yet are very secure. they are also very flexible(like every ultra) and allow alot of tweakage.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-17-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
mmmmmmmmm......tweakage.....yeahhh.....
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2005, 10:51 AM Reply   
I haven't seen the '05s yet.

Did LF change the base plates on the ultras again this year?? It looks like they get rid of the breaks-a-lot plastic of '04... and brought in something called "glass composite", whatever that means. If this is true, I might have to give them another look (I love my Wiley's Tri-Axis...they're just a little on the heavy side).
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-17-2005, 3:07 PM Reply   
how many people broke the baseplats of the ultras?
I didn't hear of ANY.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
I broke 2 pairs. Both were replaced...but I got sick of just getting them broken in and then having them break. So I switched to the Wiley's Tri-axis. I posted a bunch about it last summer.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-17-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
wow dude you must rip super hard.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
All I did was ask if the base material has changed because mine broke. Nice post, Thane.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-19-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
I broke a set of baseplates on my ultras just taking them off my feet. You do have to be super careful the plate is just plastic. I think it was a big problem, I have read a few posts where people had similar problems with the 04's. I believe the 05's have a metal plate though. Regardless of the baseplate problem they are great bindings. I wouldn't ride anything else.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-19-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
I guess I'm out of the loop. My '04 Ultras have lasted for over a year of abuse.