Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
I value all the experience on this board. So in advance thank you.

I am attempting to complete due diligence on a very large project with cable parks and wakeboard lakes. During site evaluation, we learn that erosion control methods will need to be implemented on the cable lakes as well as the boat lakes.

Any advice on methods for sandy soil conditions or good websites to visit, please post your ideas.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
How much erosion can the wake from a board cause? Even if there was a fat guy riding it that seems a little bit mad...

When I used to live on the waterfront my family and some neighbours built a sea wall out of timber as sort of a community project to stop the erosion around the island. It was just fenceposts driven in and quarter rounds nailed up basically, with a treatment so that they wouldn't rot in the sea. We filled in behind it with scrap concrete, dirt and bricks, it's still holding up really well vs 2 tides a day and the occasional rough weather out there. There are also Spring tides that come half way up the back lawn at that place, but nothing has made any noticable impact.

Forgot to mention that it was built about ten years ago.

(Message edited by jtnz on April 08, 2008)
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
Jos - thats the first thing I asked. Its the riders walking up the bank near the rail they just fell on. Multiply that times 100/day
Old     (rbalan)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
I would check with your state's department of Agriculture/Extension agency or whoever oversees erosion control on construction and development projects. If your state is anything like mine, you better get professional advice or expect fines at the very least. Its not just what you do, but how you do it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-08-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
If you can plant reeds by the shore that will help tremendously. Have you ever been to crooked lake? It's somewhere near Angola. The crooked part of the lake is completely banded by thick reeds.

You should check with an environmental or civil engineer. There's environmental engineer active in the Columbus scene. I'll see if I can get him to look at your post.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-08-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
Chris, not only do you have worry about your your erosion control from the people coming in and out, but you need to worry about silting in. If your receiving any sort of run-off your lakes (I'm assuming their man-made and very shallow), could silt in on you in 2-3 years. When you said "during site evaluation"... was this your engineers? They should have gave you their recommendations and alternatives. If you do not yet have an engineering firm, GET ONE. Your site planning and cost estimates should include all of this. Where are you located? I have a couple of different firms I use around the country for my different projects.

I mainly use Either Coon Engineering or Crafton Tull & Associates. Coon is based out OKC and Crafton & Tull has offices throughout the country. Both do work all over the U.S., it's just a matter of rather or not they hold licenses in your state. If you would like a recommendation of someone a bit closer to home for you, let me know where your at and I'll refer you on to someone I've used on past projects.

(Message edited by Tanner on April 08, 2008)
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-08-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Terrace it and then have a few spots every 50 feet or so with steps to the top? Would probably be crazy expensive though.